Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
On AAdvantage awards, no stopovers of any kind are permitted. On international award itineraries, you have up to 24 hours to connect at every point along the itinerary.

On paid tickets, a particular ticket's fare rules will state whether stopovers are permitted, and if so, where and at what cost.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
If I book an award from BKK-JFK via HND/NRT on JL, or via HKG on CX, I have some questions about award and paid tickets re stopovers.

If if booking a J award, is any kind of stopover allowed? Even if not, would a very long connection, i.e. overnight, be allowed? I would like to be able to fit in a brief visit to Tokyo for at least one sushi dinner and a tempura lunch within a <24 hour period.

On a paid J ticket on JL or CX - either directly booked with the airline or as an AA code share - would a stopover of any kind even longer than 24 hours be allowed in Tokyo or Hong Kong?
AA awards do not allow stopovers. They may have a long transit.
Generally greater than 24hrs is a stopover. On a cash paid ticket that may invoke an extra fee, but will depend on the ticket t&c's. No simple answer on stopovers
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AA awards do not allow stopovers. They may have a long transit.
Generally greater than 24hrs is a stopover. On a cash paid ticket that may invoke an extra fee, but will depend on the ticket t&c's. No simple answer on stopovers
Thank you. So, that means that we could book a very long, but <24 hour connection, and thereby have an overnight stay in Tokyo, and that would be perfectly okay with an award ticket?

I presume it would also not be a problem if we flew into HND, but out of NRT, as both are Tokyo airports. Just like a connection from LGA to JFK would be permitted on AA in New York. Is this correct?

I am hoping that if the flight times lined up well, this would allow for an overnight stay in Tokyo, one dinner and one lunch at my favorite restaurants, before we headed to the airport for our connecting flight.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Thank you. So, that means that we could book a very long, but <24 hour connection, and thereby have an overnight stay in Tokyo, and that would be perfectly okay with an award ticket?

I presume it would also not be a problem if we flew into HND, but out of NRT, as both are Tokyo airports. Just like a connection from LGA to JFK would be permitted on AA in New York. Is this correct?

I am hoping that if the flight times lined up well, this would allow for an overnight stay in Tokyo, one dinner and one lunch at my favorite restaurants, before we headed to the airport for our connecting flight.
You're correct on both accounts, no problem to have an overnight connection 24 hrs or less, and also no problem to fly into HND and out of NRT or vice versa.

You'll have to check the flight times, coming from BKK to the US I dont remember them working as good for a dinner and lunch in Tokyo. For example if you're on the 8am BKK-NRT flight arriving around 4pm, you would need to catch the next day's morning HND-JFK flight in order to stay under 24hrs. So dinner, but no lunch .

Actually if you don't mind connecting at LAX you could get a perfect 24 hr. connection that would allow both dinner and lunch, arrive 4:25p from BKK-NRT and depart on the next day's HND-LAX flight at 4:25pm.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You're correct on both accounts, no problem to have an overnight connection 24 hrs or less, and also no problem to fly into HND and out of NRT or vice versa.

You'll have to check the flight times, coming from BKK to the US I dont remember them working as good for a dinner and lunch in Tokyo. For example if you're on the 8am BKK-NRT flight arriving around 4pm, you would need to catch the next day's morning HND-JFK flight in order to stay under 24hrs. So dinner, but no lunch .

Actually if you don't mind connecting at LAX you could get a perfect 24 hr. connection that would allow both dinner and lunch, arrive 4:25p from BKK-NRT and depart on the next day's HND-LAX flight at 4:25pm.
Thank you ^
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
We are trying to book ATL to LHR via PHL on AA with points. The seats are available if I look ATL PHL and PHL LHR but they are not available if I look for ATL LHR. Will I be charged phone booking fee in this case? I tried multi city booking but more miles were required this way (two awards instead of one).
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Namaste1
We are trying to book ATL to LHR via PHL on AA with points. The seats are available if I look ATL PHL and PHL LHR but they are not available if I look for ATL LHR. Will I be charged phone booking fee in this case? I tried multi city booking but more miles were required this way (two awards instead of one).
Put the flights on hold using the multi-city booking then call AA to have it priced correctly as a single award.
JDiver, Namaste1 and Marsh11 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:26 am

Still confused about when it is better to book IAD-LHR as AA vs. BA

Hi there,

I'm still a bit confused about the pros/cons of booking as AA vs. booking as BA. On my recent trip, here's what I earned:

So I got the same number of EQMs, but I earned considerably more award miles on the AA-marketed flight.

The ticket was quite expensive. I'm not sure about the breakdown in terms of the AA fare vs. the BA fare.

So it seems that in terms of earning award miles, I'm better off booking as AA, but in terms of being able to upgrade premium economy to business using AA miles, my only choice is to book as BA (this is the subject of one of my earlier posts). Do I have this right? Can any of you offer some recommendations about the pros/cons of each so that I can be better educated for next time when choosing how to book?

Many thanks!

Last edited by Marsh11; Jun 6, 2018 at 9:37 am
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marsh11
I'm still a bit confused about the pros/cons of booking as AA vs. booking as BA. On my recent trip, here's what I earned:

So I got the same number of EQMs, but I earned considerably more award miles on the AA-marketed flight.

The ticket was quite expensive. I'm not sure about the breakdown in terms of the AA fare vs. the BA fare.

So it seems that in terms of earning award miles, I'm better off booking as AA, but in terms of being able to upgrade premium economy to business using AA miles, my only choice is to book as BA (this is the subject of one of my earlier posts). Do I have this right? Can any of you offer some recommendations about the pros/cons of each so that I can be better educated for next time when choosing how to book?
Every calculation will be different depending on the cities, carrier, distance, fare paid, and fare code. It's impossible to say definitively that booking the AA code will always be better or earn more award miles. Many times you may earn more award miles but less EQD, or vice versa, by booking one way or the other, so it also depends on what you want to earn.

But generally speaking, the more expensive the fare is, the higher the chances that booking an AA code will yield more award miles. For your IAD-LHR example, you earned more award miles booking the AA flight number at a ~$2500 fare, but had you snagged say a sale premium econ fare for $700 in P booking code, it probably would have been better to book the BA codes.

You really have to do the calculation for each and every scenario.
Marsh11 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines/Qantas
Booked a trip on CX in Premium Economy for all legs but the JFK - DCA route.
(1) JFK - HKG - SIN
(2) SYD - HKG - JFK - DCA

I received my miles and points for the first leg.
It's been several days and I still haven't received the miles for SYD-HKG-JFK-DCA at all..... My AA number was attached to the booking however as I had it on my boarding cards.

Is there any way to expedite this as I took a status challenge and need these legs to be registered pretty quickly in order to meet the challenge.

Thanks

Last edited by christanil; Jun 6, 2018 at 9:13 pm
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by MathMusic
Should be no problem with that. Any ticket change upfare ends up being a separate charge/receipt for the additional fare to be collected.
Originally Posted by thegrailer
All -
Not sure where to ask this AA question so I turned here. New corporate policy is steerage and corporate credit card. Will AA let me use a different CC to pay the difference in fare to PE or C?

Eg. Fare for economy is $1000. Fare for PE is $1500. Will AA allow me to buy the fare economy fare with the corporate card ($1000) and then up fare afterwards to PE with a personal card ($500) splitting the cost?

Thanks
Cheers
Thank you for the info.
I've never up-fared but from what I can tell, there isn't a change fee associated with that process. Is that correct?

Last edited by thegrailer; Jun 7, 2018 at 9:46 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by christanil
Booked a trip on CX in Premium Economy for all legs but the JFK - DCA route.
(1) JFK - HKG - SIN
(2) SYD - HKG - JFK - DCA

I received my miles and points for the first leg.
It's been several days and I still haven't received the miles for SYD-HKG-JFK-DCA at all..... My AA number was attached to the booking however as I had it on my boarding cards.

Is there any way to expedite this as I took a status challenge and need these legs to be registered pretty quickly in order to meet the challenge.

Thanks
The relevant parameter is the departure date of the flight so a delay only matter is you need the status and to alleviate any worry. Hang onto the BPs.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Thank you for the info.
I've never up-fared but from what I can tell, there isn't a change fee associated with that process. Is that correct?
If you are switching to a higher cabin of service, it is policy to waive the change fee, at least from Y to J or J to F.

I'm not 100% sure if that waiver applies to Y to Premium Economy, but the same principle applies. Since PE is its own cabin of service I would think the waiver applies.

See Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:23 pm

As u realized. U just have to do the math each time.

Originally Posted by Marsh11
Hi there,

Many thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by MathMusic
If you are switching to a higher cabin of service, it is policy to waive the change fee, at least from Y to J or J to F.

I'm not 100% sure if that waiver applies to Y to Premium Economy, but the same principle applies. Since PE is its own cabin of service I would think the waiver applies.

See Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)
The waiver should apply to Y to PEY, and it's called "Sellup" per JonNYC.

JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.