FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1885650-archive-2018-newbie-lounge-ask-your-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

rove312 Jan 4, 2018 9:44 am

The rule for Schengen Countries is that a pax goes through immigration and customs on first arrival in the first Schengen Country,and then only goes through Emigration on departure from the last Schengen Country
That isn't right for through tickets as far as customs for checked baggage goes. If bags are checked through, they go to the final destination, and customs officers could be standing by wanting to inspect bags that don't have a green stripe on the tag. Apparently for this questioner, the bags won't be checked through because of AA policy, not because of Schengen rules.

Upon Boarding Jan 4, 2018 9:14 pm

I have a question about the 500 miles upgrades. I didn't requalify for Platinum in 2017 so I guess I have no status from January 31 (unless I get a soft landing to Gold). I had a total of 18 upgrades (500 miles). What will happen with those upgrades? Will I lose them all or will I get them back once I qualify for either Gold or Platinum later this year?

appleorange Jan 4, 2018 9:34 pm

Is it possible to use AA miles to book an award flight consisting of one segment on AA (or AA partner) and another segment on a non-partner airline?

flyingeph12 Jan 4, 2018 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Goflyer100 (Post 29251964)
I have a question about the 500 miles upgrades. I didn't requalify for Platinum in 2017 so I guess I have no status from January 31 (unless I get a soft landing to Gold). I had a total of 18 upgrades (500 miles). What will happen with those upgrades? Will I lose them all or will I get them back once I qualify for either Gold or Platinum later this year?

They will remain in your account to use when/if you re-qualify for elite status. They will not expire.

flyingeph12 Jan 4, 2018 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by appleorange (Post 29252024)
Is it possible to use AA miles to book an award flight consisting of one segment on AA (or AA partner) and another segment on a non-partner airline?

If by non-partner airline you mean an airline on which you normally wouldn’t otherwise be able to redeem AA miles, then no. You can certainly have an award with segments on multiple airlines, including ones that are not part of Oneworld (e.g., you could have an award that is a mix of AA and AS; however, you’re not going to be able to do AA and WS or AA and UA).

hkskyline Jan 5, 2018 7:56 am

I understand all AA redemptions for domestic / North America flights in coach don't include luggage. Do I pre-book luggage allowance online or just do it at the airport when checking in?

andersonCooper Jan 5, 2018 8:03 am

Originally Posted by hkskyline (Post 29253385)
I understand all AA redemptions for domestic / North America flights in coach don't include luggage. Do I pre-book luggage allowance online or just do it at the airport when checking in?

Just do it at the airport. If you have their credit card by Citi or Barclay/or status with AA or oneworld, your first bag fees might be waived.

thegrailer Jan 5, 2018 12:31 pm

Ex Plt agent voucher promise: Agent promised vouchers re involuntary downgrade. One sent, one not sent. Today a different agent stated that since the voucher was for a past flight, I would have to email CS and request the unsent voucher, the one not noted in the record. Is that correct? I was passed around from A(dis)Advantage* to the Ex Plt desk through 5 calls with varying amounts of yada yada yada. Also, how does one document that a voucher, or anything else, promised by a phone agent is marked in the record or noted somehow? In a now closed AA thread, someone mentioned having a gate agent note and sign a boarding pass (re promised denied boarding compensation) - that doesn't work on a phone call (especially when one is calling from his seat).

Thanks

Cheers -

*Kind of PO'd at the runaround I received :(

AI93 Jan 6, 2018 5:45 am

Originally Posted by AI93 (Post 29241327)
Hi everyone,

I posted in the previous year's version of this thread last year about a botched AA journey my family and I were on returning from MCO-PHL-LHR-EDI with AA in Y. In short, a 5-hour delay in MCO resulting after the airline announced they were "waiting for a part to be chartered in from CLT" resulted in us missing our connection to LHR in PHL. Our first rerouting to EDI saw our first flight to DUB cancelled due to pilot timeout, resulting in us being forced to spend two days in PHL and having to fund a hotel and all other expenses ourselves. AA have since repeatedly refused to compensate for any expenses/costs, and have since said that both flights were delayed/cancelled due to a major weather system, giving the following information:

Following advice given here on my last visit I've twice contacted the DoT to claim AA misrepresented the reason for our delays, but on both occasions they have forwarded my complaint back to AA. Most recently they have stated they have no enforcement jurisdiction over the matter and have only been able to recommend complaining privately via the courts. AA have offered 2,000 AAdvantage miles per person which, given the amount of disruption caused to our journey and the resulting lack of explanation, seems completely disproportionate!

I'm starting to think I'm chasing a lost cause here - is there any merit in pursuing this further or other avenue of complaint to go down?

Thanks for any advice.

Apologies for the repost, but any opinions on this? Thanks.

flyingeph12 Jan 6, 2018 10:08 am

Originally Posted by AI93 (Post 29257171)

Personally, I think it sounds like it might be a lost cause. It sounds like the delays in PHL were due to weather, in which case AA does not have an obligation to reimburse you. It sounds like the delay in MCO, which resulted in you being stuck in PHL, might have been due to a mechanical (and would be AA’s fault)—but unfortunately without any documentation that the first flight was delayed due to a mechanical problem, it’s going to be an uphill battle. Next time, it would be a good idea to ask the gate agent in MCO for a printout that indicates the delay was a mechanical delay, especially if it looks like weather down the line might be an issue. Additionally, a sympathetic agent in PHL might have been able to give you a hotel voucher at the time.

I think the best course of action now is to see if the credit card that you used for the tickets has any travel delay protection (many of the travel credit cards do). That, I think, will be your best shot at recouping some of your out-of-pocket expenses without a protracted (and potentially costly) battle.

NA-Flyer Jan 7, 2018 9:54 am

Does AA have a similar scheme to UA, where a non US resident has a waiver in earning a higher elite status with out a minimum spend of PQD?

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...r/qualify.aspx

andersonCooper Jan 7, 2018 10:01 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer (Post 29261541)
Does AA have a similar scheme to UA, where a non US resident has a waiver in earning a higher elite status with out a minimum spend of PQD?

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...r/qualify.aspx

No.

DMPHL Jan 7, 2018 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by AI93 (Post 29257171)

What was the flight # and date of your MCO-PHL flight?

ETA: I though I might be able to look it up on EF, but it seems that it only lets me go back to 12/31 with flight status and details.

jmsssaaannn Jan 8, 2018 10:30 am

Will AA check bags through to the final destination on one ticket? I booked RDU-JFK-ICN on Korean Air's website. RDU to JFK is showing AA as the airline (operated by Trans-States Airlines) and JFK-ICN is KE. Does AA only check bags through with their oneworld partners? And if I do have to recollect and recheck my bags will there be enough time at JFK to do so? (2 hours, need to go from T8 to T1). This is one ticket. Thanks!

kljcorp Jan 8, 2018 11:34 am

My usual route with AA is from PHX to ORD and now for the past two weeks or so when I book my ticket (usually the cheapest available fare) I get a screen pop up that says Basic Economy, which is (no overhead carry-on, no assigned seating, etc.). I can choose Main Cabin for what's often an 800% surcharge to get what I used to get for the Basic Economy fare. So now a $52 fare that used to include an overhead now costs $450.

I've avoided going for status because the benefits weren't worth it to me. I don't normally check bags and don't care when I board. I DO however, care about having access to an overhead and knowing I have an assigned seat! So NOW is it worth it for me to obtain status?

It's all so complicated. I can get a Citi Card that will give me some advantages like earning 1 mile for every $1 spent (and 2 miles for every $1 spent fares), but does this give me access to overhead? Does this make any fare available for seat assignment? Should I do a Gold Challenge? Sign up for the credit card? Or both?

Btw- I'm such a noob that I don't even understand what 90% of the acronyms you guys use stand for. I'm also not quite sure how or why I need to know what the booking class code is (A,T,D,I,R,Y,W,B, etc.). This is incredibly confusing to someone who just uses American to get from PHX to ORD and back about once a month or so. I don't have a company paying for my travel, so I'd like to be as economical as possible. But it seems to me that AA just became like Spirit where they're going to start charging me for every little extra thing. Until now, I've tried to remain loyal to AA and am trying to decide it that still makes sense. But if they're going to be just like Spirit to me, I may as well just book the cheapest fare available.

I'd appreciate any advice on what to do. Thanks.