Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:23 pm

I got the Gold they offered up through 5/25/18 and was wondering if they will offer me the ability to extend to 1/31/19 as the deadline approaches for a cash price as I have little chance to meet the EQM/EQD criteria to extend?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
I have gold status and was planning on booking an air and hotel package to MIA from ORD and will fly in First/Business. For my companion, I was planning on booking a separate award ticket for them in First/Business, so they would be on a separate PNR, because even though you can call AA and have them book a mixed award / paid ticket on the same PNR they cant add a hotel (or so I think). Given that the benefits of First/Business are generally similar if not better to a gold status flyer, is it really an issue if my companion is not on my PNR? My only concern is that inclement weather causes flight delays/cancellations and they cannot make another standby flight that I clear because of status but they do not.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
First time in this situation:

I bought a ticket on British Airways (marketed as BA flights codeshare) website that one way is AA metal the other way is IB metal. I am flying premium economy. How will the EQM and EQD I earn be calculated? (I inputed my AA number)

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
First time in this situation:

I bought a ticket on British Airways (marketed as BA flights codeshare) website that one way is AA metal the other way is IB metal. I am flying premium economy. How will the EQM and EQD I earn be calculated? (I inputed my AA number)

Thanks in advance.
They should earn as BA flights: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp You can get the BA miles for a segment by using the earning Avios calculator on the BA web site but any air mileage calculator will be close enough.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting conflicting feedback from AA Gold reservations desk:
Can an AA Gold on a AA award flight booked with BA Avios points get premier/preferred seat assignments?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Getting conflicting feedback from AA Gold reservations desk:
Can an AA Gold on a AA award flight booked with BA Avios points get premier/preferred seat assignments?
If you put your AA frequent flyer number in, then you should be able to if you have an AA flight number.

If you have a code share flight it will be trickier, but should still be possible.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:46 am

I'm trying to boost my AA mileage balance and have a lot of points with hotels, credit cards, etc.

Is there a common list of all the partners where I can transfer miles and create more Aadvantage miles? Any tips on which ones are the highest value? I know SPG is a partner but I don't know any others.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
I had the best of luck with rocketmiles, I've gotten 35-30K AAdvantage miles on 3night hotel stays that would have been impossible through a normal partner reward conversion. While you do not get hotel points on top of that, some hotel programs will count your qualifying nights toward elite status.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MathMusic
If you put your AA frequent flyer number in, then you should be able to if you have an AA flight number.

If you have a code share flight it will be trickier, but should still be possible.
Whenever you book an AA flight with BA Avios, you are booked under the AA flight number.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by NoviceFrqntFlyr
I'm trying to boost my AA mileage balance and have a lot of points with hotels, credit cards, etc.

Is there a common list of all the partners where I can transfer miles and create more Aadvantage miles? Any tips on which ones are the highest value? I know SPG is a partner but I don't know any others.
SPG is the only one of the major transferable currencies that can be converted to AA miles. Chase UR and Amex MR can be converted to Avios to book AA flights. City TY points can be transferred to Cathay Pacific and Qantas to book AA flights as well.

I know some of the hotel points like IHG can be converted into AA miles, but only at a pretty awful rate. IHG is 10000 points = 2000 AA miles. I usually have better value from the IHG points to book free hotel rooms.

I highly recommend using a site like awardhacker to show different award booking options for any given route. For example the cheapest way to book a BUF-MCO award flight seems to be 14k UR points by sending them to Southwest. Or 20k MR points transferred to Cathay Pacific to book an AA flight, compared with 25 k AA miles if you can find sAAver availability.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
If a flight is oversold and you willingly take the bump to another carrier... does requesting ORC also apply to EQD?
It should apply to all the earnings: EQM EQM EQS EQD RDM.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; Mar 29, 2018 at 1:13 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
What's the tail number of the aircraft that flew AA1657 (PHL-PHX) on 1/27?

Flightradar24 is glitching and giving me a TK 321. Also I'd rather not wait for BTS data dump.

Last edited by jacobguo; Mar 27, 2018 at 10:18 pm
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Does the EXP exemption on change/reinstatement fees for award tickets still apply even when you are using your own miles to book a ticket for someone else? (eg you are not traveling at all)
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mcrw00
Does the EXP exemption on change/reinstatement fees for award tickets still apply even when you are using your own miles to book a ticket for someone else? (eg you are not traveling at all)
Yep, as long as the miles come from your account.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts regarding multiple airlines and points / miles accrual have been moved to the Information Desk forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.