Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by thunderlounge
AA isn’t selling PE on that route until after you travel. Until then they are treated as MCE.
just flew LHR-LAX-LHR and one leg had 77W went to PE equipped plane morning of departure. As poster replied they are nit selling PE on some routes at present and treated as MCE. However when I checked with agent, equipment is being fitted with PE on a schedule to complete by the time they start selling PE. Until that time, it is always possible a non PE equipped 77W could be rostered. As seat width is main difference, it should not be an issue but as PE is 2 4 2 and MCE is 3 3 3 you might want to think about that if you want them to sit in adjacent seats. Have fun.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by rjlon

just flew LHR-LAX-LHR and one leg had 77W went to PE equipped plane morning of departure. As poster replied they are nit selling PE on some routes at present and treated as MCE. However when I checked with agent, equipment is being fitted with PE on a schedule to complete by the time they start selling PE. Until that time, it is always possible a non PE equipped 77W could be rostered. As seat width is main difference, it should not be an issue but as PE is 2 4 2 and MCE is 3 3 3 you might want to think about that if you want them to sit in adjacent seats. Have fun.
Thanks. Interesting because the current seating chart on aa.com shows 2 4 2 although PE fares are not available for the flight (this isn't because PE is sold out since 16-19 are wide open on the seating chart). This is for a flight in mid June. Seatguru has it as 3 3 3.

I put them in 19 D-G. I hope that if they start selling PE for this flight they won't be bumped out of there.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Basic Economy fare - benefits for Citi Mastercard holder with Gold Status

First time trying to buy basic economy ticket.

Total 5 passengers - me, wife, 2 kids, and mother-in-law. I am AA Gold and Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard holder. All on same flight. Buying tickets partially with OU voucher and paying balance with above mentioned Citi credit card. Flying tomorrow so going to airport for ticketing.

Will I be able to check-in 4 bags and carry-on 4 bags free of charge, as per my Credit Card benefits?

Thanks.

Last edited by raj_cl; Mar 16, 2018 at 8:46 am Reason: More info
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by raj_cl
First time trying to buy basic economy ticket.

Total 5 passengers - me, wife, 2 kids, and mother-in-law. I am AA Gold and Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard holder. All on same flight. Buying tickets partially with OU voucher and paying balance with above mentioned Citi credit card. Flying tomorrow so going to airport for ticketing.

Will I be able to check-in 4 bags and carry-on 4 bags free of charge, as per my Credit Card benefits?

Thanks.
If it is all on one PNR you should be fine for the checked bags. Make sure your AA flyer number is on the reservation when you book it because sometimes there might be an issue with the timing of things. Technically your AA frequent flyer number needs to be on the reservation 7 days before you fly to get the bags per the T&Cs of your card. I am not sure if AA would withhold the baggage benefits if the ticket is purchased right before travel though if you have had the card for a while.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MathMusic
If it is all on one PNR you should be fine for the checked bags. Make sure your AA flyer number is on the reservation when you book it because sometimes there might be an issue with the timing of things. Technically your AA frequent flyer number needs to be on the reservation 7 days before you fly to get the bags per the T&Cs of your card. I am not sure if AA would withhold the baggage benefits if the ticket is purchased right before travel though if you have had the card for a while.
Since the passenger is AA Gold, the credit card is irrelevant here.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Does me being Gold mean up to 4 passengers with me on the same reservation check-in 1 bag each?

I thought the check in bag benefit was only for the Gold member and did not apply to other passengers even though on the same reservation.

However the credit card benefit states up to 4 people can check in 1 bag each, so asking.

Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by raj_cl
Does me being Gold mean up to 4 passengers with me on the same reservation check-in 1 bag each?

I thought the check in bag benefit was only for the Gold member and did not apply to other passengers even though on the same reservation.

However the credit card benefit states up to 4 people can check in 1 bag each, so asking.

Thanks.
From aa.com:

The checked bag fees will be waived for all elite members and guests traveling on the same reservation (excluding group reservations) for travel in the Main Cabin on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or marketed by American or American Eagle. The number of waived bag fees depends on your elite status.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
Hi there!

I'm collecting miles (we call them points) at AY+ but I plan on booking a decent amount of AA flights this year. I usually prefer booking on the the official website AA.com. I've done some research but it seems like promo codes are very rare. Do you guys use cashback or something similiar? Is there any known, common (but for me unknown) way to safe money?

Thank you!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Is there an Admirals Club Meet-up thread? Quick search does not yield positive results...
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Tommys888
Is there an Admirals Club Meet-up thread? Quick search does not yield positive results...
You mean this one, that was just 5 pages back?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
I booked a MileSAAver award in F from PDX to ROC, connecting in ORD. A schedule change took the 8:00 AM departure to 6:40 AM. This is a leisure trip and 8:00 AM was early for this retired couple, but 6:40 AM is just way too early.

The only other connections with just one stop is an 11:20 AM departure connecting in CLT or a redeye departing at 11:59 PM There are several itineraries with 2 stops, but I choose the original one based on just one stop. However, this itinerary is not available as a MileSAAver, only as an AAnytime award. Is there any chance I can get AA to move us to the 11:20 itinerary without adding miles ( which I don't have; I was actually using up some miles on this trip) based on the schedule change?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Larrude
I booked a MileSAAver award in F from PDX to ROC, connecting in ORD. A schedule change took the 8:00 AM departure to 6:40 AM. This is a leisure trip and 8:00 AM was early for this retired couple, but 6:40 AM is just way too early.

The only other connections with just one stop is an 11:20 AM departure connecting in CLT or a redeye departing at 11:59 PM There are several itineraries with 2 stops, but I choose the original one based on just one stop. However, this itinerary is not available as a MileSAAver, only as an AAnytime award. Is there any chance I can get AA to move us to the 11:20 itinerary without adding miles ( which I don't have; I was actually using up some miles on this trip) based on the schedule change?
Sure, when AA changes the schedule they will typically let you switch to other reasonable alternatives even if there is no longer sAAver award space available. Just give AA a call, tell them that there was a schedule change and the 6:40am departure doesn't work, and ask for the 11:20am flight.

If you happen to get an unhelpful AAgent that is unwilling to switch it or insists that there needs to be sAAver space on the new flights, just HUCA (hang up call again).
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Just booked a one-way ticket to Doha with AA miles. Have to connect in Philly since no business space on the Chicago>Doha. Hoping to switch to the direct flight but don’t think they’ll open seats as my flight is only a few days after the route is supposedly getting QSuites.

Do I get lounge access in Chicago before my first leg?In domestic first if that matters
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:13 pm

Long-time Listener, First-time Caller

Greetings from Texas. I’ve appreciated all of the information and help I’ve gotten here over the years, and wanted to return the favor with an AA trip report from this week. Not entirely sure where to post it, though....

Help, guidance, or pointing-in-the-right-direction appreciated.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

allankoenig Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by allankoenig
Greetings from Texas. I’ve appreciated all of the information and help I’ve gotten here over the years, and wanted to return the favor with an AA trip report from this week. Not entirely sure where to post it, though....

Help, guidance, or pointing-in-the-right-direction appreciated.
Here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...advantage-733/ (if any complaints / questions on AA service)
Or here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/ if a real trip report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.