FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1885650-archive-2018-newbie-lounge-ask-your-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

Hipplewm Jan 2, 2018 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 29242056)
1. Ticketing stock actually doesn't matter. What matters is how the flight is marketed. If it's AA-marketed, you will earn based on the AA earnings chart; if the flight is marketed by another OW or partner carrier (even if it's on 001 stock) you will earn based on the earnings chart for that carrier (usually some percentage of miles flown). Some AA-marketed flights—for example, some flights that are booked through AA Vacations—are "special fares" and earn miles based on a separate chart for such fares.

2. The same applies to RDMs. It is based on how the flight is marketed.

3. Flights marketed by another OW or partner carrier (as well as Special Fares) usually earn EQDs based on a percentage of miles flown, so yes the ticket price does not factor in to the calculation in those cases.

4. If you are an EXP with available SWUs in your account, you will see a link indicating if an upgrade is available when you are searching on aa.com and logged in to your account. You will need to call the EXP desk to apply the upgrade.

5. EXPs receive a free snack/meal and drink when flying in economy.

6. The standard bonus offer for the AA Executive card is 50,000 miles, I believe. Occasionally there have been higher bonuses—the highest has been 100,000, if memory serves. Most recently, it was 75,000 miles. I don't know if there is a "good" time at which bonus offers tend to be higher.

Originally Posted by andersonCooper (Post 29242103)
I think flyingeph12 gave you a lot of the technical answers which are helpful. Just my 2 cents:

1,2,3: Eventually, if your boarding pass shows a flight number as AA XXXX, RDM/EQD/EQM will be based on dollars except for the special fare mentioned. If the flight number is CX/BA/IB/QF/QR XXXX, then it will be in accordance with OW table (distance based), depending on the fare code.
6. 75k opening bonus was available this past fall, but with higher spending requirement (7,500 in 3 months IIRC).

Thanks and that makes sense...helps a ton
Luckily, I fly for business and have a very nice boss, so I don't have to worry too much about special fares and that type of stuff

Would there be a case where I could go to aa.com and buy a ticket and it is on 001 stock and is BA 755 and Finnair 345 flights?

andersonCooper Jan 2, 2018 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 29242260)
Thanks and that makes sense...helps a ton
Luckily, I fly for business and have a very nice boss, so I don't have to worry too much about special fares and that type of stuff

Would there be a case where I could go to aa.com and buy a ticket and it is on 001 stock and is BA 755 and Finnair 345 flights?

Special fare might kick in when your employer uses travel agent.

It's extremely hard to find these tickets on aa.com, (usually on a complex multi-stop itin you could). However, it makes no difference in accruing RDM/EQM/EQD, as long as it's BA or AY flight numbers.

Hipplewm Jan 2, 2018 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper (Post 29242287)
Special fare might kick in when your employer uses travel agent.

It's extremely hard to find these tickets on aa.com, (usually on a complex multi-stop itin you could). However, it makes no difference in accruing RDM/EQM/EQD, as long as it's BA or AY flight numbers.

My employer assigned travel agent is me and my corporate amex card :)

Most of my business travel is pretty straight forward, I'll try and keep a lookout for it. I'll probably get bit once, then know exactly what to look for to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks for the help once again

flyingeph12 Jan 2, 2018 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 29242308)
My employer assigned travel agent is me and my corporate amex card :)

Most of my business travel is pretty straight forward, I'll try and keep a lookout for it. I'll probably get bit once, then know exactly what to look for to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks for the help once again

Depending on your situation, special fares can actually be beneficial in that, like partners, you earn EQD as a percentage of miles flown but generally earn EQM at a more generous rate than with partners (e.g., Business fares earn 2.0x EQM instead of the usual 1.5x with partners). With special fares, you also earn RDMs based on miles flown, plus a cabin of service bonus, plus any elite status bonus. You can see the full chart here.

Hipplewm Jan 2, 2018 7:48 pm

OK, one more goofy question. I am just poking around trying to get a feel for all these "partner" flights and looking at various prices and other data...

I am using flights.google.com and making itineraries - then pricing them to aa.com while logged in
Is there a way to see actual EQM without going all the way almost to the end of the purchase?

Once i get there is that data "Accurate"? so far I have only ended up on flights that were 100% marketed at AA#### flights, no matter which metal they were on....

flyingeph12 Jan 2, 2018 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 29242365)
OK, one more goofy question. I am just poking around trying to get a feel for all these "partner" flights and looking at various prices and other data...

I am using flights.google.com and making itineraries - then pricing them to aa.com while logged in
Is there a way to see actual EQM without going all the way almost to the end of the purchase?

Once i get there is that data "Accurate"? so far I have only ended up on flights that were 100% marketed at AA#### flights, no matter which metal they were on....

There is nowhere besides that final purchase page that clearly lays out the EQM, EQD, and RDMs, etc (also, that information will generally not be given if you have a flight in your itinerary that is not AA marketed). That information is accurate, though. I generally will use gcmap.com for the flight distance and then calculate the EQM, EQD, RDM, etc. myself. Gcmap is quite close to the mileage AA uses. If you want the exact flight miles that AA uses, you can search by schedule using the multi-city search function on aa.com, which will give you results displaying the flight miles.

Kauaichick Jan 2, 2018 9:05 pm

I just discovered AA267 DFW-LIH and noticed that it is seasonal and only 4 days a week. How do I find out the actual dates/season for that flight and what the return flight of that aircraft is? We make several trips a year to LIH and that flight will come in handy. Is there a chart or calendar? I want to see what travel dates for the future are as I am very flexible with my times.

potus18 Jan 2, 2018 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 29242365)

My preferred method is inputting my itinerary (e.g., SFO-LAX-LHR-LAX-SFO) into MileCalc :: The Ultimate Mileage Calculator for Frequent Flyers and it will print out each flight's EQMs and the sum of the legs.

JJeffrey Jan 3, 2018 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Kauaichick (Post 29242640)
I just discovered AA267 DFW-LIH and noticed that it is seasonal and only 4 days a week. How do I find out the actual dates/season for that flight and what the return flight of that aircraft is? We make several trips a year to LIH and that flight will come in handy. Is there a chart or calendar? I want to see what travel dates for the future are as I am very flexible with my times.

Pre-merger, AA used to post a page at aa.com that listed all the new and seasonal routes, including start days and end days. However I haven't seen this in a few years.

Now, the easiest way is just use the Google Flights calendar, i.e. search one-way DFW-LIH, AA, non-stops only and see what you find.

Marsh11 Jan 3, 2018 2:00 pm

Interline bag re-checking

Didn't see a response to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202871-post2261.html and then the thread got closed, so I'll post here and answer my own question:

I'm flying on AA PHL-MUC and then connecting on A3 MUC-HER. It's all on one ticket issued on AA stock (PHL-MUC-HER).

Since A3 is not OneWorld, I'm not sure if there's an interline agreement between them. Will bags checked in PHL go all the way to HER automatically, or do they need to be reclaimed in MUC and re-checked on A3 to HER? I don't think I've ever had to deal with this scenario. I almost never check bags, and I don't think I've ever had an international connection switching airlines. I'd be fine with carry-on but I'll be traveling with my mom and I'm sure she'll want to check her suitcase.
I checked with AA and they advised me that I would have to claim my bags in MUC and recheck them on A3. So just in case anyone else has this same question, here's the answer :)

flyingeph12 Jan 3, 2018 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kauaichick (Post 29242640)

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 29243873)
Pre-merger, AA used to post a page at aa.com that listed all the new and seasonal routes, including start days and end days. However I haven't seen this in a few years.

Now, the easiest way is just use the Google Flights calendar, i.e. search one-way DFW-LIH, AA, non-stops only and see what you find.

Another potential option is to go view the schedules posted at https://www.aacargo.com/ship/schedules.html, currently available through 2/28/2018.

JJeffrey Jan 3, 2018 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Marsh11 (Post 29245948)
Didn't see a response to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202871-post2261.html and then the thread got closed, so I'll post here and answer my own question:

I checked with AA and they advised me that I would have to claim my bags in MUC and recheck them on A3. So just in case anyone else has this same question, here's the answer :)

AA definitely has an interline agreement with A3 (just checked ExpertFlyer), so your bags should be tagged all the way to HER. If you just called the normal reservations number, most phone AAgents will have no idea about something like that.

Marsh11 Jan 3, 2018 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 29246043)
AA definitely has an interline agreement with A3 (just checked ExpertFlyer), so your bags should be tagged all the way to HER. If you just called the normal reservations number, most phone AAgents will have no idea about something like that.

Hmm... I asked via twitter. Anyway, I just looked on ExpertFlyer as well (didn't occur to me to check there until I saw your reply). I guess the twitter agent was mistaken.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e9be36d227.png

pandaperth Jan 3, 2018 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Marsh11 (Post 29245948)

I expect the reason is that both Germany and Greece are Schengen Countries
And thus the FRA-HER flight is to all intents and purposes a domestic flight, with no customs check at the destination.

The rule for Schengen Countries is that a pax goes through immigration and customs on first arrival in the first Schengen Country,and then only goes through Emigration on departure from the last Schengen Country

So in your case you are checked by immigration and customs at FRA

(as an example, in 2006 I entered the area in HEL and my travels were: Finland Estonia Latvia Lithuania Latvia Estonia Finland Spain Portugal Spain. All that 'internal' travel was without border posts - and without passport stamps :(.)

JDiver Jan 3, 2018 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Marsh11 (Post 29246547)
Hmm... I asked via twitter. Anyway, I just looked on ExpertFlyer as well (didn't occur to me to check there until I saw your reply). I guess the twitter agent was mistaken.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e9be36d227.png

As quoted in the AA and Partner Baggage Rules thread, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html, (unfriendly) AA policy is being followed here:

What if I have separate tickets in the same PNR for itineraries with
American to a non-oneworld carrier?

Our policy on American to non-oneworld airline tickets has not changed.
We will not through check customers or bags even if the tickets are in
the same PNR

Unfortunately, you won’t necessarily get the degree of granularity you might prefer on your questions in a newbie catchall thread. Auguring down through the threads, or better yet learning the utility of advanced search, will find master threads on topics that often have distilled essential knowledge or rules into Wikiposts at the top of the page. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/info...ve-thread.html.