Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:36 pm

Hi

I have posted this on a wiki post, but not sure if it is the right place as i'm 'new' to the site in that it is many years since I have used it and I don't fly so much now.

I am booking LHR - MIA. We have now lost our gold status so have to pay extra for better seats. PE is coming up more than I'm willing to pay so main cabin it is. The layout is showing the new PE and then row 20 is the first row of the main cabin, but it (and Row 21) is only showing 2 seats. On the seating chart it looks like 20K and L but when I selected them they are 20J and 20L.

Is it the aisle seat that is missing?

I assume there is some extra legroom because they are being sold as MCE seats but I wondered if anyone could tell me why Row 20 was reduced to 2 in the new layout with PE?

TG
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Will try & thanks for the suggestion @JDiver. I just wish IB were easier to deal with.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by BLazarus22
Will try & thanks for the suggestion @JDiver. I just wish IB were easier to deal with.
Having flown IB for decades, I can state their lack of ground support is traditional. It has actually become less surly, though moreso in the air than on the ground. And yet, I’ve been pleasantly surprised on occasion.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I have a SFO-JFK-LHR J ticket I was planning on crediting to AS before the changes. SFO-JFK is in D class, JFK-LHR in I. I'm not chasing status with any OW airlines and would prefer to accrue non-AA miles.

Can I leave my ticket unassigned for FF credit, hold onto my boarding passes, and then submit SFO-JFK to BA and JFK-LHR to AS for credit? Or do I just have to pick one airline?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: Miles and More, IHG,Hilton Honors
I got an American airlines voucher that is going to expire its only 50 bucks but being here in Europe I dont plan on flying AA anytime soon, I was wondering if I could by some miles with it instead?

best wishes!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by steveholt
I have a SFO-JFK-LHR J ticket I was planning on crediting to AS before the changes. SFO-JFK is in D class, JFK-LHR in I. I'm not chasing status with any OW airlines and would prefer to accrue non-AA miles.

Can I leave my ticket unassigned for FF credit, hold onto my boarding passes, and then submit SFO-JFK to BA and JFK-LHR to AS for credit? Or do I just have to pick one airline?
The safest bet is probably to add your BA number to the reservation now for all flights. Then, after you arrive in JFK, go to the Flagship Lounge and have the AAgent change your JFK-LHR flight to your AS number.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kbrauneis
I got an American airlines voucher that is going to expire its only 50 bucks but being here in Europe I dont plan on flying AA anytime soon, I was wondering if I could by some miles with it instead?

best wishes!
Unfortunately no, you can't buy miles with a voucher.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: aa
Upgrade question

I got my platinum status matched on AA and taking my first flight from LAX to LHR. I called to ask about upgrades and the agent said it would be 25K+350 per person to be put on wait list. Does AA not automatically add it's elite members to the wait list? What is my best chance to get upgrade? Thanks for all the help
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mothsmoke
I got my platinum status matched on AA and taking my first flight from LAX to LHR. I called to ask about upgrades and the agent said it would be 25K+350 per person to be put on wait list. Does AA not automatically add it's elite members to the wait list? What is my best chance to get upgrade? Thanks for all the help
Welcome to FT. No, there are no auto upgrades or anything like that for AA elites on long-haul international flights. Assuming you can't get your hands on a SWU (given to EXPs), then your only realistic options are to waitlist for the upgrade at 25k miles + $350, or just pay the fare difference to business. If you waitlist, you'll only be charged the miles/money if your upgrade clears.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by mothsmoke
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

One other option you have is a Load Factor Based Upgrade, which may be offered once waitlisted upgrades are processed. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html. Not likely on most LAX-LHR flights.

Very few, if any, airlines offer free upgrades on longhaul International flights. And AA prioritizes upgrades by status first (CK, EXP, PPRO, PLAT), GOLD and secondly by last 12 months’ EQD spend.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:48 pm

Hey all! Are J saver awards common for the LAX-JFK on Saturday red-eyes? I'm looking to snag two for this summer. Thanks!

-v2
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by rotatev2
Hey all! Are J saver awards common for the LAX-JFK on Saturday red-eyes? I'm looking to snag two for this summer. Thanks!

-v2
I’d look over the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...cess-help.html thread as an indicator of demand for those flights. Personally, I’d suspect Saturday night easier than high demand days. If I was looking, I’d set up my ExpertFlyer account to alert me of any availability.

Good luck!
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

One other option you have is a Load Factor Based Upgrade, which may be offered once waitlisted upgrades are processed. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html. Not likely on most LAX-LHR flights.

Very few, if any, airlines offer free upgrades on longhaul International flights. And AA prioritizes upgrades by status first (CK, EXP, PPRO, PLAT), GOLD and secondly by last 12 months’ EQD spend.
just checked in for LAX LHR flight tomorrow and was offered Biz Class upgrade for $460. First cash upgrade I have ever been offered in 20 odd years of AA flying. Not happy today after Airbus flight with broken seat meaning a last minute change to a more cramped one followed by almost an hour wait for bags. Still it is an odds game, you know every nth flight...
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:24 am

Hi, another newbe question:

If I buy a ticket DCA-JFK-LHR in coach and fly DCA-JFK the first day and JFK-LHR the second day, I understand that AA will not through-check my bags if I'm at JFK for more than 12 hours. In that case, if I want to pay for an extra bag, will I need to do so twice, once on each day? Thanks.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:50 pm

When are upgrades supposed to be cleared at the gate? Over the last months, I've had experiences where:
- The upgrade cleared approx. 15 min before boarding
- The upgrade cleared before boarding, i.e. the agent called upgraded passengers to the gate right before starting the boarding process
- Concurrent to the boarding process: Similar to the one before, but it's a hassle because boarding happens already so usually overhead space is full once you get the new pass and through the line
- After boarding: I've had this happen three times since January. Already being seated way back in Y, then the agent comes onboard and calls you out to take seat in the front. The bad thing is it holds off departure briefly and personally bad is that all overhead is taken at that point so your carry-on has to stay way back.

Is this purely up to the discretion of the agent when to start clearing? I've started to inquire at the gate 5 min before boarding so I get it cleared before the process starts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.