Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Tommys888
I have a question on the award booking - I remember previously we are not allowed to get upgraded on the award booking even if we are EXP, but does this mean the new AAdvantage program now allows the upgrade on the award booking? Is the allowance applicable only for domestic routes? How we can get upgraded on long routes such as, e.g. CDG - PHL? Thank you!
EXP's & CK's are now eligible for complementary upgrades on certain award tickets. One of the few positive changes to come out of AAdvantage. It's only on North American routes, i.e. domestic and short haul international, same ones you normally can request free 500-mi. upgrades on. Of course transatlantic flights like CDG-PHL are not eligible.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by BB8Dreamliner
Sadly, I'm currently doing a Platinum challenge that ends in Feb 2018, however the bulk of my EQMs and EQDs are from CX J KULSFO roundtrip, which do not count towards the challenge because CX is not AA's joint venture partner. I'm 1.1k Short of EQDs for Plat Challenge, but good for EQM.
2 CX J KUL-HKG-SFO RT should be sufficient to qualify for PLT regardless of challenge. However by qualifying without challenge, you give up the additional 500-miles/miles bonus from AA, if any.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, GA Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
AA has the same membership qualification year (calendar year) for everyone, unlike CX. Another key difference is once you reach gold (MPC Silver, OWS), your current progress won't be reset like CX's.
Yes, I love that part about AA but doesn't understand why they can't just base each member's calendar year on the date they enrolled.

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
However, unlike CX's system where you could play the "remove MPC number" trick, the rollover system does not work for AA. As such, your 2018 activities will bee reset to 0 on Jan 1, 2019. (so 2017's was reset on Jan 1, 2018)

Please also be aware that certain Y tickets on CX flights earn no AA credits. And if you completely give up MPC SL, earning AA gold won't allow you to enter CX's J lounges (which is permitted for MPC SL.)
Yup. I'm aware of that. I was mentally prepared to get AA Platinum (OW Sapphire) this January and get CX (and OW except for AA) J lounge access for myself and companion--a much better deal than holding on to CX SL, which only allow access to the passenger. On the bright side, my CX SL expires in May and I am targeting to earn AA Plat by then.

I used to be CX MPC Gold, and I used to get in Admirals Club for free and life was great since I'm based in the US. Unfortunately, I was one of the victims of the MPC makeover. I switched to AA because I fly AA Y (discount) more than I fly CX Y, and MPC doesn't credit me for those (obvi).

Last edited by BB8Dreamliner; Jan 2, 2018 at 6:45 am
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:43 am

Yes, I love that part about AA but doesn't understand why they can't just base each member's calendar year on the date they enrolled.
Long story short, the current qualification year v.s. membership year system is confusing enough.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
I'm a no status AA flyer who has recently redeemed miles for 2 one way tix from Jamaica to ORD.
I'm considering cancelling the tix and re-booking to a different destination. I'm not familiar with AA's policy...can someone let me know if I would get my mileage/fees back? Flight is for Feb. 6th.

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
My 3000 EQDs, 3500 EQMs, and Segments reseted to 0.

This is confusing to me because I'm new to AA. I was a CX member before, and miles doesn't reset on Jan 1st of the year. I joined AA on Oct 2017 (after getting tired of CXs revamped MPC earning system), earned my Gold status on Dec 20, 2017-- And I still have excess EQMs and EQDs as of yesterday (Dec 31). So did they all just go to waste after midnight of Dec 31 2017?
Sadly, I'm currently doing a Platinum challenge that ends in Feb 2018, however the bulk of my EQMs and EQDs are from CX J KULSFO roundtrip, which do not count towards the challenge because CX is not AA's joint venture partner. I'm 1.1k Short of EQDs for Plat Challenge, but good for EQM.
Just to try to be clear, and hopefully not confuse even more, the platinum challenge counter is separate from the normal one. For earning status the regular way, the numbers all reset to zero on Jan 1. But if you started a challenge on Dec 1, those challenge numbers (which don't display on aa.com) do not reset, and you still have until late February to get to the required challenge goals based on your combined Dec, Jan, Feb flights.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bsdstone
I'm a no status AA flyer who has recently redeemed miles for 2 one way tix from Jamaica to ORD.
I'm considering cancelling the tix and re-booking to a different destination. I'm not familiar with AA's policy...can someone let me know if I would get my mileage/fees back? Flight is for Feb. 6th.

Thanks!
You can cancel and get your miles and taxes/fees refunded, however AA charges a $150 redeposit fee for the first ticket plus $25 for each subsequent award ticket redeposited to the same account at the same time. So it will cost you $175.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JY1024
Just like with award/upgrade inventory, not necessarily. When an award or revenue ticket is cancelled, it doesn't necessarily mean that the original fare/award/upgrade bucket will return automatically. AA's revenue management system will crunch the numbers to determine what happens with the extra space.
Update: this worked! Applied BXP1 to my business (I) booking, moved to first, and the I-class inventory almost immediately become available again for my girlfriend to upfare into. Not sure if the EXP or BusinessExtra agent phoned RM and requested the inventory, but happy it worked
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:07 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by potus18
Update: this worked! Applied BXP1 to my business (I) booking, moved to first, and the I-class inventory almost immediately become available again for my girlfriend to upfare into. Not sure if the EXP or BusinessExtra agent phoned RM and requested the inventory, but happy it worked
Glad it worked out for you! ^

(RM system may have naturally decided that cabin demand was low enough that naturally released another I into the system. Or, as you mentioned, someone could have intervened for you and asked RM if they'd be wiling to open one seat in the I bucket for you.)
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I posted in the previous year's version of this thread last year about a botched AA journey my family and I were on returning from MCO-PHL-LHR-EDI with AA in Y. In short, a 5-hour delay in MCO resulting after the airline announced they were "waiting for a part to be chartered in from CLT" resulted in us missing our connection to LHR in PHL. Our first rerouting to EDI saw our first flight to DUB cancelled due to pilot timeout, resulting in us being forced to spend two days in PHL and having to fund a hotel and all other expenses ourselves. AA have since repeatedly refused to compensate for any expenses/costs, and have since said that both flights were delayed/cancelled due to a major weather system, giving the following information:
FLT 1728./MCO/07Jan

ATC HLD DEST CODE AT3. (this means Air Traffic Control delay at destination)

FLT 722./PHL/07Jan

SEG CNLD CODEXWS-MAJ WX WXX* (this means cancelled Major Weather system).
Following advice given here on my last visit I've twice contacted the DoT to claim AA misrepresented the reason for our delays, but on both occasions they have forwarded my complaint back to AA. Most recently they have stated they have no enforcement jurisdiction over the matter and have only been able to recommend complaining privately via the courts. AA have offered 2,000 AAdvantage miles per person which, given the amount of disruption caused to our journey and the resulting lack of explanation, seems completely disproportionate!

I'm starting to think I'm chasing a lost cause here - is there any merit in pursuing this further or other avenue of complaint to go down?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
OK, got a whopper here.....AA is starting a CHS-ORD direct and I may have the ability to swap a decent portion of my flying....

1. The website eludes to it, but doesn't say it as clearly as UA, if you are on 001 ticket stock is the earning of EQM, EQD and EQS the same no matter if you are on AA metal or any other OW partner?
2. Same question as #1 but for rewards miles - all based on ticket price x elite status multiplier?
3. How is the EQD figured for partner - one I saw was BA earns EQM for business at 25% of miles flown....so is ticket price immaterial, you just get a percentage of the miles flown as EQD and you are done with it?
4. SWU - Is there a way to tell before booking if they will be usable ie CLEAR (I understand you can "Use" on any flight)
5. As a 1K (UA equiv of EXP) in economy, I get a free alcoholic drink and a "Snack Box" for free on every trip - does AA have any sort of the same type thing? (I care more about the snack as I don't really drink)
6. If i do this, I'll get the AA credit card for admirals club access - is there a "Good time" to apply to maximize bonuses? or do you just watch the bloggers and wait for them to squeal?

TIA
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:06 pm

Quick question. Traveling in from St Kitts to Los Angeles, with a transit in MIA for few hours in business class, both legs. Do I qualify to use the AA flagship lounge or am I stuck in admirals lounge? Also, on a reverse, going from LAX to St Kitt, transiting in MIA for few hours also in business both legs, same question.

Thanks so much!!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shingu79
Quick question. Traveling in from St Kitts to Los Angeles, with a transit in MIA for few hours in business class, both legs. Do I qualify to use the AA flagship lounge or am I stuck in admirals lounge? Also, on a reverse, going from LAX to St Kitt, transiting in MIA for few hours also in business both legs, same question.

Thanks so much!!
The LAX-MIA transcons no longer provide lounge access, and the Caribbean is not an eligible international destination for lounge access purposes. So unfortunately you won't have any access to the Admirals Clubs (or Flagship Lounges) at any point on your trip.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
OK, got a whopper here.....AA is starting a CHS-ORD direct and I may have the ability to swap a decent portion of my flying....

1. The website eludes to it, but doesn't say it as clearly as UA, if you are on 001 ticket stock is the earning of EQM, EQD and EQS the same no matter if you are on AA metal or any other OW partner?
2. Same question as #1 but for rewards miles - all based on ticket price x elite status multiplier?
3. How is the EQD figured for partner - one I saw was BA earns EQM for business at 25% of miles flown....so is ticket price immaterial, you just get a percentage of the miles flown as EQD and you are done with it?
4. SWU - Is there a way to tell before booking if they will be usable ie CLEAR (I understand you can "Use" on any flight)
5. As a 1K (UA equiv of EXP) in economy, I get a free alcoholic drink and a "Snack Box" for free on every trip - does AA have any sort of the same type thing? (I care more about the snack as I don't really drink)
6. If i do this, I'll get the AA credit card for admirals club access - is there a "Good time" to apply to maximize bonuses? or do you just watch the bloggers and wait for them to squeal?

TIA
1. Ticketing stock actually doesn't matter. What matters is how the flight is marketed. If it's AA-marketed, you will earn based on the AA earnings chart; if the flight is marketed by another OW or partner carrier (even if it's on 001 stock) you will earn based on the earnings chart for that carrier (usually some percentage of miles flown). Some AA-marketed flights—for example, some flights that are booked through AA Vacations—are "special fares" and earn miles based on a separate chart for such fares.

2. The same applies to RDMs. It is based on how the flight is marketed.

3. Flights marketed by another OW or partner carrier (as well as Special Fares) usually earn EQDs based on a percentage of miles flown, so yes the ticket price does not factor in to the calculation in those cases.

4. If you are an EXP with available SWUs in your account, you will see a link indicating if an upgrade is available when you are searching on aa.com and logged in to your account. You will need to call the EXP desk to apply the upgrade.

5. EXPs receive a free snack/meal and drink when flying in economy.

6. The standard bonus offer for the AA Executive card is 50,000 miles, I believe. Occasionally there have been higher bonuses—the highest has been 100,000, if memory serves. Most recently, it was 75,000 miles. I don't know if there is a "good" time at which bonus offers tend to be higher.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm

TIA
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
1. Ticketing stock actually doesn't matter. What matters is how the flight is marketed. If it's AA-marketed, you will earn based on the AA earnings chart; if the flight is marketed by another OW or partner carrier (even if it's on 001 stock) you will earn based on the earnings chart for that carrier (usually some percentage of miles flown). Some AA-marketed flights—for example, some flights that are booked through AA Vacations—are "special fares" and earn miles based on a separate chart for such fares.

2. The same applies to RDMs. It is based on how the flight is marketed.

3. Flights marketed by another OW or partner carrier (as well as Special Fares) usually earn EQDs based on a percentage of miles flown, so yes the ticket price does not factor in to the calculation in those cases.

4. If you are an EXP with available SWUs in your account, you will see a link indicating if an upgrade is available when you are searching on aa.com and logged in to your account. You will need to call the EXP desk to apply the upgrade.

5. EXPs receive a free snack/meal and drink when flying in economy.

6. The standard bonus offer for the AA Executive card is 50,000 miles, I believe. Occasionally there have been higher bonuses—the highest has been 100,000, if memory serves. Most recently, it was 75,000 miles. I don't know if there is a "good" time at which bonus offers tend to be higher.
I think flyingeph12 gave you a lot of the technical answers which are helpful. Just my 2 cents:

1,2,3: Eventually, if your boarding pass shows a flight number as AA XXXX, RDM/EQD/EQM will be based on dollars except for the special fare mentioned. If the flight number is CX/BA/IB/QF/QR XXXX, then it will be in accordance with OW table (distance based), depending on the fare code.
6. 75k opening bonus was available this past fall, but with higher spending requirement (7,500 in 3 months IIRC).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.