Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I'm about to make my first no status flight in forever and I haven't been on AA since before the merger. I've been handed a RT PHL-FLL ticket rows 26 and 28 return. What can I expect?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I'm about to make my first no status flight in forever and I haven't been on AA since before the merger. I've been handed a RT PHL-FLL ticket rows 26 and 28 return. What can I expect?
Keep your expectations low, don’t expect much. Probably pay for checked bag (unless you have an AAdvantage credit card that waived fees for one domestic bag). A seat. Paying for a better seat (Premium or Main Cabin Extra). Boarding in the penultimate group. Non-alcoholic beverage service. Snack and adult beverages for sale.

If you’d been handed a Basic Economy ticket, even less: last group to board, no carryon other than a bag that fits under the seat in front of you, middle seat in aft rows. AA is going for great! (Their motto, not my analysis.)
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by JDiver
Keep your expectations low, don’t expect much. Probably pay for checked bag (unless you have an AAdvantage credit card that waived fees for one domestic bag). A seat. Paying for a better seat (Premium or Main Cabin Extra). Boarding in the penultimate group. Non-alcoholic beverage service. Snack and adult beverages for sale.

If you’d been handed a Basic Economy ticket, even less: last group to board, no carryon other than a bag that fits under the seat in front of you, middle seat in aft rows. AA is going for great! (Their motto, not my analysis.)
I've already got low expectations. Customer insisted on T&M instead of flat rate and they make all the arrangements. I've got two days of negations over how and when. Now it's two more days waiting to see what they come up with. I'm checking two bags if a normal ticket three if it's a basic one. All of which is billable. No luck on the CC it's a UA card. In the end I expect that they will end up 20% over my flat rate.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:38 pm

Blocked from online check in

Should have posted here since Im a newbie. Apologies to the forum for not seeing this thread.
Issue/Question: Unable to checkin for CLT-LHR-IST flight for tmrw eve. Website shows the box but its grayed-out and unclickable. App says "passportinfo mismatch." I called they said it looks ok. Twitter AA just said go to checkin early.
My info on BA and AA is correct and matches. Is this common? Ive seen some older threads on the passport mismatch but dont mention the box still avail on website but not functional.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by zz80zz
Should have posted here since Im a newbie. Apologies to the forum for not seeing this thread.
Issue/Question: Unable to checkin for CLT-LHR-IST flight for tmrw eve. Website shows the box but its grayed-out and unclickable. App says "passportinfo mismatch." I called they said it looks ok. Twitter AA just said go to checkin early.
My info on BA and AA is correct and matches. Is this common? Ive seen some older threads on the passport mismatch but dont mention the box still avail on website but not functional.
It can happen. It happens to me occasionally, and my information hasn’t changed. The destination may have something to do with it as well. Turkey was one of the destinations that made me go in for a reinterview for my Global Entry renewal (along with Cuba, Romania and Ukraine).
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:33 pm

I was just awarded AA Gold for the first time. I have 10 500 mile certs. Are these things worthless like United CPUs or is it easier to get upgrades because not everyone is entitled unless they spend them? I'll be flying 6pm Fri AUS-ORD 8PM Mon ORD-AUS
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Hey, so I'm a little concerned, maybe someone can shed some light...

I booked a CX award over the phone for the first time ever using my AA miles. No issues, got a crappy confirmation email from AA, then a more detailed one, used the CX locator on their site, picked a seat, all good. Didn't take too long, she kinda had to rebook me once I told her my credit card was Canadian, but it wasn't a big deal. Points debited from my account shortly after, everything went to plan. Can't send myself an "e-ticket receipt" from the CX site, but maybe that's just because there was no transaction between me and them? That's probably for the CX forum though, it says confirmed on their site, so I'm pretty ok with it.

Next day I decided to book another one for a different date/route. So I found my space on the BA site, called in and started over. Told her in advance about my Canadianicity to expedite things, and started on with the routing. Immediately she couldn't find it, I started to get bummed out, I know the BA tool might not be 100% accurate for AA purposes, but I pressed on, eventually she did find it. Cool! Much like the first agent she asked if I had a middle name, I do, we finished up the whole thing, got the CX locator. Bob's your uncle.

CX website looks the same, everything looks good, got my seats selected, booking status says "confirmed" but then why I try to send myself an "e-ticket receipt" on THIS booking a little text pops up below and says "You have not issued the eTicket(s).Please contact Asia Miles Service Hotline to issue your eTicket(s)." Well, presumably I shouldn't call Asia Miles, since they didn't "sell" me the ticket. I didn't get the garbage email from AA, nor the detailed one, and the points didn't debit from my account. Ok, I had called them late at night, maybe the next day they'd show up. Nothing. So I called AA, I explain to the agent what's going on and she looks into it, tells me something about my middle name wasn't in there properly or whatever blah blah, ok. She says she passed it on to ticketing and that everything is fine, same CX locator, no problem.

It's now been 24 hours past that call. Still no emails from AA (about THIS booking), no change in the Cathay page good or bad and most concerning, no miles debited. Would I like to take a free flight on AA's dime and have them never remove the miles? Of course! But I'm an honest guy and I'm also worried that I'll get to the counter in CGK and have them tell me my ticket is bogus, then I'll have to figure something out from there and/or make some really expensive phone calls.

Anyone experience a similar situation? Any reason to think that in 2-3 more days the emails will show up? I know Aeroplan sometimes doesn't ticket you right away if the flight is like 300 days out, but this trip is for Apr 6, so you'd think that on Feb 1 they'd wanna get it ticketed right away basically. I've already done my part and called, do I call again? Is there any reason to call Cathay? Any other advice?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:06 am

It can happen. It happens to me occasionally, and my information hasn’t changed. The destination may have something to do with it as well. Turkey was one of the destinations that made me go in for a reinterview for my Global Entry renewal (along with Cuba, Romania and Ukraine).
Thanks alot. Everytime i re-enter US from visiting TR i get the X. Never had a problem with OLCI or departing though. Appreciate your time.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I was just awarded AA Gold for the first time. I have 10 500 mile certs. Are these things worthless like United CPUs or is it easier to get upgrades because not everyone is entitled unless they spend them? I'll be flying 6pm Fri AUS-ORD 8PM Mon ORD-AUS
They are not worthless as such but unfortunately if upgrade availability comes up higher status holders are first in line before Gold. Maybe your route is light on status holders
Good luck
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Hey, so I'm a little concerned, maybe someone can shed some light...

I booked a CX award over the phone for the first time ever using my AA miles. No issues, got a crappy confirmation email from AA, then a more detailed one, used the CX locator on their site, picked a seat, all good. Didn't take too long, she kinda had to rebook me once I told her my credit card was Canadian, but it wasn't a big deal. Points debited from my account shortly after, everything went to plan. Can't send myself an "e-ticket receipt" from the CX site, but maybe that's just because there was no transaction between me and them? That's probably for the CX forum though, it says confirmed on their site, so I'm pretty ok with it.

Next day I decided to book another one for a different date/route. So I found my space on the BA site, called in and started over. Told her in advance about my Canadianicity to expedite things, and started on with the routing. Immediately she couldn't find it, I started to get bummed out, I know the BA tool might not be 100% accurate for AA purposes, but I pressed on, eventually she did find it. Cool! Much like the first agent she asked if I had a middle name, I do, we finished up the whole thing, got the CX locator. Bob's your uncle.

CX website looks the same, everything looks good, got my seats selected, booking status says "confirmed" but then why I try to send myself an "e-ticket receipt" on THIS booking a little text pops up below and says "You have not issued the eTicket(s).Please contact Asia Miles Service Hotline to issue your eTicket(s)." Well, presumably I shouldn't call Asia Miles, since they didn't "sell" me the ticket. I didn't get the garbage email from AA, nor the detailed one, and the points didn't debit from my account. Ok, I had called them late at night, maybe the next day they'd show up. Nothing. So I called AA, I explain to the agent what's going on and she looks into it, tells me something about my middle name wasn't in there properly or whatever blah blah, ok. She says she passed it on to ticketing and that everything is fine, same CX locator, no problem.

It's now been 24 hours past that call. Still no emails from AA (about THIS booking), no change in the Cathay page good or bad and most concerning, no miles debited. Would I like to take a free flight on AA's dime and have them never remove the miles? Of course! But I'm an honest guy and I'm also worried that I'll get to the counter in CGK and have them tell me my ticket is bogus, then I'll have to figure something out from there and/or make some really expensive phone calls.

Anyone experience a similar situation? Any reason to think that in 2-3 more days the emails will show up? I know Aeroplan sometimes doesn't ticket you right away if the flight is like 300 days out, but this trip is for Apr 6, so you'd think that on Feb 1 they'd wanna get it ticketed right away basically. I've already done my part and called, do I call again? Is there any reason to call Cathay? Any other advice?
How far out is your flight? AA ticketing can take time. See Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed. There’s also this:

Unfortunately, Cathay has this known problem with passports and tickets. If anything doesn’t match up exactly, CX will give you major problems. And AA IT isn’t good about this, as your middle name may be transmitted as only the first four letters.

If this doesn’t ticket ask AA to please communicate with the CX liaison to see what the problem might be. You don’t want to lose the Booking because of this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I called AA, I explain to the agent what's going on and she looks into it, tells me something about my middle name wasn't in there properly or whatever blah blah, ok. She says she passed it on to ticketing and that everything is fine, same CX locator, no problem.
CX have a thing about "middle" name. This is relatively recent
CX forum threads
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...me-ticket.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...departure.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-required.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...lying-usa.html
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
It's been a long time since I've booked an award ticket. Here's what I'm trying to do.

GRR-ORD-DFW-QRO. GRR-ORD usually CRJ200, so Y only, but want J ORD-DFW-QRO, and J on the ORD-DFW 787.

On the day I'm looking, ORD-DFW 787 has J saver;DFW-QRO has J saver; GRR-ORD has Y saver;

AA.com gives me option of the flights I want, but insists on putting the 787 segment in "T" class (economy) and only the short leg DFW-QRO in J ("U").

If I look at an award ex-ORD, no problem. What gives?

Last edited by BThumme; Feb 2, 2018 at 2:28 pm
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BThumme
It's been a long time since I've booked an award ticket. Here's what I'm trying to do.

GRR-ORD-DFW-QRO. GRR-ORD usually CRJ200, so Y only, but want J ORD-DFW-QRO, and J on the ORD-DFW 787.

On the day I'm looking, ORD-DFW 787 has J saver;DFW-QRO has J saver; GRR-ORD has Y saver;

AA.com gives me option of the flights I want, but insists on putting the 787 segment in "T" class (economy) and only the short leg DFW-QRO in J ("U").

If I look at an award ex-ORD, no problem. What gives?
Use the multi-city award-booking engine to put GRR-ORD on hold on the first line; and ORD-QRO on hold on the second line. This should price as two separate awards. Note the PNR for the held awards, and then call AA and ask if the two held awards can be repriced as a single award. If they can, you can then go back to aa.com, verify that the itinerary is now priced as a single award, and then go ahead and complete the purchase.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
How far out is your flight? AA ticketing can take time. See Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed. There’s also this:

Unfortunately, Cathay has this known problem with passports and tickets. If anything doesn’t match up exactly, CX will give you major problems. And AA IT isn’t good about this, as your middle name may be transmitted as only the first four letters.

If this doesn’t ticket ask AA to please communicate with the CX liaison to see what the problem might be. You don’t want to lose the Booking because of this.
My flight is Apr 6.

My concern is because the two bookings went so differently. The first one was so smooth. If she had said "this'll take a couple days" I also wouldn't have started worrying yet. But the 2nd time I called and the agent said something about my middle name I said "oh that's funny because she originally took my middle name, noting that it was important" and she said "oh yea it's there, but it's just not on both so I have to fix that and get it re-ticketed".

I def don't wanna lose the booking, but this is entirely on them and in their court. How does AA deal with these situations? With Aeroplan, they've botched 1-2 of my bookings they've just purchased me the seats if they weren't available.

I understand the CX middle name thing is important and that's fine, I've got a middle name and had I been able to fill it in myself it would be a non-issue, but this is all in AA's hands unfortunately.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:57 pm

My flight is Apr 6.

My concern is because the two bookings went so differently. The first one was so smooth. If she had said "this'll take a couple days" I also wouldn't have started worrying yet. But the 2nd time I called and the agent said something about my middle name I said "oh that's funny because she originally took my middle name, noting that it was important" and she said "oh yea it's there, but it's just not on both so I have to fix that and get it re-ticketed".

I def don't wanna lose the booking, but this is entirely on them and in their court. How does AA deal with these situations? With Aeroplan, they've botched 1-2 of my bookings they've just purchased me the seats if they weren't available.

I understand the CX middle name thing is important and that's fine, I've got a middle name and had I been able to fill it in myself it would be a non-issue, but this is all in AA's hands unfortunately.
Unfortunately, CX started being obsessive compulsive recently (TSA Pre Check time?) abd AA IT is both primitive and a kluge, so there are issues with how your last name on the AA PNR and ticket populates the CX record. It sounds to me as if not all AA agents really know the importance and how to deal with this. I’ve seen posts (elsewhere) from very frequent flyers who have mentioned this issue several times. My only advice is to keep after AA to get this done properly to avoid problems later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.