Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SLINKYTRAVEL

understood. Thanks for the response. What I was really was looking for is for phone only. Like are you able to search award space on any other OneWorld app for phone only?
Ah! I’m not familiar with the BAEC or other apps that might be out there. I’d try their website, even with my smartphone browser; I’m not sure if they have a mobile site, but it may be worth looking (or inquiring in the BAEC forum). Good luck!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SLINKYTRAVEL

understood. Thanks for the response. What I was really was looking for is for phone only. Like are you able to search award space on any other OneWorld app for phone only?
You can definitely search using BA’s mobile website. Not sure about its app.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12

You can definitely search using BA’s mobile website. Not sure about its app.
You can search oneworld award-seat availability on the BA app, after logging in to your BAEC account. Watch out for phantom availability though.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:55 pm

last minute Platinum Challenge possible???

I am super new to this forum - it seems so helpful but I am trying to figure out how to use it.

I have a VERY LAST MINUTE Platinum Challenge with American and am hoping I can make it work. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Departing from LAX or surrounding airports, SNA is closest.
Looking for International travel over the New Year to hopefully get it done
Need 12,500 EQMs
1,500 EQDs for Platinum
or
20,000 EQMs
2,400 EQDs for Platinum Pro

Travel can be 12/29 -1/6
Looking to keep it as economical as possible and maybe even turn it into a great NYE trip?! Is this possible??

Thanks so much for all of the kind help and suggestions.
I was offered quite a few 500 mile upgrades with the challenge and hoping to keep them
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:37 pm

Have a look in this forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/.

Use Google Flights, inserting your or your international origin but no destination, and play with the parameters.

Mind you, it’s hard to keep it too economical when you have EQD minima.
TheBodyShop likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS 75k, SEA-BOS expert level 2000
Does anyone know the chances of SAAVER biz fares opening up on a MIA-UVF and return in early May? I've been hunting since August and I have expertflyer alerts set, I just didn't know if AA just doesn't offer Business SAAVER award space on those flights normally. There are at least 7 seats available up front on both flights. I get that rev mgmt can be hard to predict with the algorithms, I just want to know if it is a possibility Thanks!
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Hello Experts ...I am sure this has been asked million times and I just wanted to make sure my knowledge is correct.about Inventory code on American Airlines for SWU and Complimentary upgrades

1) Is the Inventory "C" correct if we want to know if SWU can be applied from Economy to Business. Is this same in 2 class flights (Frist and Economy) and 3 class flights (First, Business and Economy) ?

2) Is "A" code valid only from Business to First or Economy to First also.

3) What is the Code for Complimentary or 500 mile upgrades to see if Exec Plat get complimentary upgrades or not ?

Last edited by rajhyd99; Dec 22, 2018 at 8:20 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
Hello Experts ...I am sure this has been asked million times and I just wanted to make sure my knowledge is correct.about Inventory code on American Airlines for SWU and Complimentary upgrades

1) Is the Inventory "C" correct if we want to know if SWU can be applied from Economy to Business. Is this same in 2 class flights (Frist and Economy) and 3 class flights (First, Business and Economy) ?

2) Is "A" code valid only from Business to First or Economy to First also.

3) What is the Code for Complimentary or 500 mile upgrades to see if Exec Plat get complimentary upgrades or not ?
1) Yes and yes. C is applicable to the class directly above Main Cabin.
2) A is only for Business to First on flights with a F cabin.
3) R is the complimentary (or 500 mile upgrade) fare bucket, but it's not visible via ExpertFlyer or any other means. Note that there is an R fare bucket that corresponds with a paid Business ticket, but that's not the one which controls complimentary upgrades.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Gold. A couple of my upgrades have came before T-24. Any particular reason why?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Gold. A couple of my upgrades have came before T-24. Any particular reason why?
I have had this happen routinely on connecting flights. Not sure if that's your situation or not.

Example:
PHL --> DFW --> SEA
T-100 for PHL DFW flight, and my DFW - SEA leg clears, while PHL - DFW does not (PHL DFW never seems to clear, but that's for another thread )
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm in the unusual position where I need to fly one-way to London to reposition for a transatlantic cruise in September. As you probably know, booking these flights one-way is extremely expensive so planning to book with miles. Currently very little business class availability on BA and nothing on AA at milesaaver level. I don't currently have the 220,000 miles I would need to book two aanytime awards. Is it worth buying additional AA miles now with the current promotion that runs until January 6, which would represent a significant cost savings over booking cash? Or should I continue to hold out for milesaaver awards to hopefully become available? Thanks I appreciate the wisdom of this board!
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Grsdo
I'm in the unusual position where I need to fly one-way to London to reposition for a transatlantic cruise in September. As you probably know, booking these flights one-way is extremely expensive so planning to book with miles. Currently very little business class availability on BA and nothing on AA at milesaaver level. I don't currently have the 220,000 miles I would need to book two aanytime awards. Is it worth buying additional AA miles now with the current promotion that runs until January 6, which would represent a significant cost savings over booking cash? Or should I continue to hold out for milesaaver awards to hopefully become available? Thanks I appreciate the wisdom of this board!
You should also check the price for a roundtrip, outbound in business and home in coach (check a few different dates). That may be a lot cheaper than just the one way, and if so, you can just no-show for the return flight.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:31 am

I do this at least a couple of times a year. Sometimes I book a round trip beginninin in Europe in April, return in November. This year we used miles to LIS, from LIS and to KEF. I’m pretty sure there will be award seating released between now and September. That’s shoulder season to boot.

Where are you flying from and to?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LHR is not the only UK airport AA flys to. MAN & EDI (seasonable) are others. And DUB & SNN in Ireland.
Where exactly does AA fly to Europe? Which routes have good business seats?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:36 am

Meals/Drinks in flight?

We have AA flights ORD-SAN in 2 days. 4 & half hour flight. Do they serve any meals/drinks? anything to eat? Is the plane a small like the one that flies to YYZ or bigger one?
We are four and includes one senior and a minor child. I received an email from AA asking about meal order for this flight. I bet it is very expensive if we order it so ain't gonna bother .

Thanks for any info

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Dec 24, 2018 at 10:37 am Reason: detail

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.