Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Hi! Still learning the ropes here. Could one of you experts clarify if I am able to book an Aer Lingus flight with AA miles? Is it possible to do that if the flight is a code share with a OneWorld carrier?
Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by endo_jackson
Hi! Still learning the ropes here. Could one of you experts clarify if I am able to book an Aer Lingus flight with AA miles? Is it possible to do that if the flight is a code share with a OneWorld carrier?
Thanks in advance.
No, you cannot book Aer Lingus flights with AA miles, even if there are Aer Lingus flights that codeshare with BA, etc.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
I booked my award stay at the W Maldives and need to book the award flight. I am based in PHX. This is my first long international flight and I am traveling sole so I want to go all out and get the best experience.

I was looking at using AA miles on Cathay Pacific, Qatar or Etihad partners. Economy=80k, Business=140k, First=230k. I was looking at CX award space (through BA) and found a lot of single First class seats but surprisingly no biz seats.

If I get the AA Plat biz card with the 70k bonus I would have enough for First class round trip but I will need a few months to do this. So if I find first/biz class space I may need to book a one way and the return one way once I get the needed points.

I think I am on the right track but if anyone has any recommendations, such as airlines, routing, lounges, etc. that would be great. Thanks!

Points available: AA=145k , UN=70k , WN=200k (if I need a positioning flight) , Chase UR=25k , Amex MR=60k
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by flyguy6
I booked my award stay at the W Maldives and need to book the award flight. I am based in PHX. This is my first long international flight and I am traveling sole so I want to go all out and get the best experience.

I was looking at using AA miles on Cathay Pacific, Qatar or Etihad partners. Economy=80k, Business=140k, First=230k. I was looking at CX award space (through BA) and found a lot of single First class seats but surprisingly no biz seats.

If I get the AA Plat biz card with the 70k bonus I would have enough for First class round trip but I will need a few months to do this. So if I find first/biz class space I may need to book a one way and the return one way once I get the needed points.

I think I am on the right track but if anyone has any recommendations, such as airlines, routing, lounges, etc. that would be great. Thanks!

Points available: AA=145k , UN=70k , WN=200k (if I need a positioning flight) , Chase UR=25k , Amex MR=60k
You're definitely on the right track. Really depends if you want to go for CX F or stick to business. As this is your first long int'l trip I'd be inclined to stick to business, if you're used to flying domestically (especially in coach) then you'll still be blown away by the seat/food/service you'll get in business. Plus leave something to look forward to down the line .

QR has a great business class, on par with F on some carriers, and availability to MLE generally is quite good. Especially coming from PHX you have the option to connect in any of QR's gateway cities in the US. These are bookable at aa.com, have you checked? When are your dates?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:13 am

I am anticipating being a Platinum member in a month or so via the status challenge that would be valid thru the next year. In February 2019 I am looking to buy 2 round-trip tickets for 2 family members. I likely would not be on the flight with them. If I book it, would my benefits extend to them (free checked bags, possible upgrades, etc)? Or would I physically have to be on the flight/reservation with them? Also, is there any special discounts for individuals 65 and older? Never had to consider this type of thing before, so trying to work it all out ahead of time if possible.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JustDandy
I am anticipating being a Platinum member in a month or so via the status challenge that would be valid thru the next year. In February 2019 I am looking to buy 2 round-trip tickets for 2 family members. I likely would not be on the flight with them. If I book it, would my benefits extend to them (free checked bags, possible upgrades, etc)? Or would I physically have to be on the flight/reservation with them? Also, is there any special discounts for individuals 65 and older? Never had to consider this type of thing before, so trying to work it all out ahead of time if possible.
Your benefits are only shared if you are on the flight. I have not seen a discount in a long while though they are rumored to happen sometimes on selected routes. BA offer a discount on transatlantic flights for AARP members.
JustDandy likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Hey everyone, I've found a few threads that come close to this topic but figured I would ask here to get pointed in the right direction.

I'm trying to determine the number of miles I'll be earning between now and year end to see if I will be able to requalify for Plat. Pro. I think I have enough travel booked to hit the necessary threshold however, I've been unable to find a clear answer to how partner flights are coded. I have a roundtrip JFK-LHR-CDG booked in a few weeks and 2/4 flights are marketed as AA, while 3/4 are on BA metal. If anyone could point me to the proper thread for this question I would appreciate it!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Hey everyone, I've found a few threads that come close to this topic but figured I would ask here to get pointed in the right direction.

I'm trying to determine the number of miles I'll be earning between now and year end to see if I will be able to requalify for Plat. Pro. I think I have enough travel booked to hit the necessary threshold however, I've been unable to find a clear answer to how partner flights are coded. I have a roundtrip JFK-LHR-CDG booked in a few weeks and 2/4 flights are marketed as AA, while 3/4 are on BA metal. If anyone could point me to the proper thread for this question I would appreciate it!
The following two threads are likely what you want. The tricky thing is figuring out the EQD that you will earn; the EQM calculation is relatively straightforward.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html
GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, partner airlines 2017 on
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
The following two threads are likely what you want. The tricky thing is figuring out the EQD that you will earn; the EQM calculation is relatively straightforward.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html
GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, partner airlines 2017 on
Thanks for the info!

I'm not concerned with EQD as I'm way past the dollar spend for PP, just need to figure out if I'll need a mileage run or not to close out the year.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Thanks for the info!

I'm not concerned with EQD as I'm way past the dollar spend for PP, just need to figure out if I'll need a mileage run or not to close out the year.
In that case, the EQM will be calculated based on the AA chart for your AA-marketed flights, and the partner award chart for the non-AA-marketed flights. You can find those charts on AA.com.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
In that case, the EQM will be calculated based on the AA chart for your AA-marketed flights, and the partner award chart for the non-AA-marketed flights. You can find those charts on AA.com.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp
Great, thanks!

Based on that info it looks like I'll be about 900 miles short, looks like I'm mileage running on the 31st
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You're definitely on the right track. Really depends if you want to go for CX F or stick to business. As this is your first long int'l trip I'd be inclined to stick to business, if you're used to flying domestically (especially in coach) then you'll still be blown away by the seat/food/service you'll get in business. Plus leave something to look forward to down the line .

QR has a great business class, on par with F on some carriers, and availability to MLE generally is quite good. Especially coming from PHX you have the option to connect in any of QR's gateway cities in the US. These are bookable at aa.com, have you checked? When are your dates?
I have only flown domestic first class a few times on UA a few so it won't take much to wow me. I would save a lot of miles on biz vs first so that is worth thinking about. Qatar also looks like a good option too and they have award space but I would need to connect through ORD. Etihad looks good too but I am not seeing any biz or first award space. Unfortunately AA doesn’t allow stop overs or I would stop in Hong Kong for a day.

My dates are at the hotel are 11/10/19-11/15/19. So I think I will need to leave PHX on 11/7 or 11/8 to make it there on time and can catch sea plane to the hotel. I could get a hotel in Male for a night before I catch the sea plane to the W if my flight gets in later in the day.

If anyone has flown Cathay Pacific, Qatar and Etihad in first/biz share which one you think is better?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by flyguy6
I have only flown domestic first class a few times on UA a few so it won't take much to wow me. I would save a lot of miles on biz vs first so that is worth thinking about. Qatar also looks like a good option too and they have award space but I would need to connect through ORD. Etihad looks good too but I am not seeing any biz or first award space. Unfortunately AA doesn’t allow stop overs or I would stop in Hong Kong for a day.

My dates are at the hotel are 11/10/19-11/15/19. So I think I will need to leave PHX on 11/7 or 11/8 to make it there on time and can catch sea plane to the hotel. I could get a hotel in Male for a night before I catch the sea plane to the W if my flight gets in later in the day.

If anyone has flown Cathay Pacific, Qatar and Etihad in first/biz share which one you think is better?
Compared to a US3 carrier in domestic economy (or UA in domestic first) any of the above CX/QR/EY will offer a fantastic experience in business class. Each have their own perks and nuances, you can ask 10 different people here and will probably get 10 different answers as to which is better and for what reasons. If availability is there, why not take QR one way and CX the other? Int'l awards using AA miles allow for connections up to 24 hrs at each connecting point, so it's possible to build in an overnight connection at HKG or DOH etc. as long as it's under 24 hrs.

But not sure why you think you'd have to connect in ORD on QR? As mentioned, coming from PHX you should be able to connect in any of QR's US gateways...LAX, DFW, IAH, ORD, ATL, JFK, etc.

November 2019 is still a long way off, tons of time to research and search around here.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by JJeffrey; Dec 3, 2018 at 7:16 pm
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Compared to a US3 carrier in domestic economy (or UA in domestic first) any of the above CX/QR/EY will offer a fantastic experience in business class. Each have their own perks and nuances, you can ask 10 different people here and will probably get 10 different answers as to which is better and for what reasons. If availability is there, why not take QR one way and CX the other? Int'l awards using AA miles allow for connections up to 24 hrs at each connecting point, so it's possible to build in an overnight connection at HKG or DOH etc. as long as it's under 24 hrs.

But not sure why you think you'd have to connect in ORD on QR? As mentioned, coming from PHX you should be able to connect in any of QR's US gateways...LAX, DFW, IAH, ORD, ATL, JFK, etc.

November 2019 is still a long way off, tons of time to research and search around here.
Thanks for all of the advise! I like the idea of trying CX and QR if I can find the award space. My mistake I see the QR flight form LAX now.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:59 pm

10% off AA awards with credit card

Quick newbie question - when does the AA 10% award booking rebate come back to your account (for the AA Citi or Barclays aviator cards) ? Immediately upon booking or after the actual redemption takes place (after the actual flight)? TYIA!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.