Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by FREEKFLYR
So I get the eSummary email from AAdvantage and I see that there is an anomaly. Any body get something similar.

This is from my eSummary email. Notice the check mark next to EQS. Am I reading it right? Thanks!
Does this mean I have qualified for EXP or is it a coding SNAFU?? Thanks!
AA is notorious for having IT glitches in regards to our accounts. There are all sorts of things that pop up, disappear, and reappear in a different form. Calling it an "anomaly" is giving them too much credit as things like this are consistently happening. It'll be corrected.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by Uncle Nonny; Oct 12, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Margo39
Hi everyone,
I'm pretty clueless about status programs and "accidentally" achieved Platinum on AA a few years ago because of a job I had. I learned the value of that when I had a flight in Italy canceled and received amazing service. I'm now down to Gold status (and have been for three years) and I'm ok with it, but I'm about to lose it. My husband and I are now retired and we travel only for leisure. We've got a few int'l trips planned for 2019 (Caribbean, UK, Tel Aviv) so I'd like to keep Gold if possible for the convenience it offers. I know it's not that great for those of you who have higher status, but for us, it's perfect. Really don't want to lose it.

Do you have any suggestions for keeping it? I called AA and asked to be put on a challenge and was told that I'd have to wait until I lose status to do it. The rep suggested I book a few first class tickets. That would cost about $2k minimum from what I can see - and if that's the case, isn't it better to wait, lose the status and be put on a challenge? Are there any cheap runs I can do first class that can get me where I need to be? I'm about halfway on EQM (11,830) and EQD (1486) with only 8 segments.

Thank you in advance for your expertise - I am so excited to have found this forum and wish I'd found it while I was flying for business!
Margo
The only real way to get more EQD than you actually spend is taking advantage of partner bookings, a trip on BA or CX in premium economy might do the trick. Partner bookings post EQDs as a percentage of miles flown, so sometimes you can get good deals to earn more EQDs than you paid. If you stick to flying american domestically there isn't much you can do to beat the EQD limit, so it would cost you about $1500 anyway.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: aadvantage
Thank you for your help. I am willing to fly internationally if need be - just not sure what to book to keep the status and I'm hoping to spend less than $1k to do it. Seems like waiting and buying the status or getting put on a challenge would be better. : (

Thanks again.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:49 am

Thank you for your help. I am willing to fly internationally if need be - just not sure what to book to keep the status and I'm hoping to spend less than $1k to do it. Seems like waiting and buying the status or getting put on a challenge would be better. : (

Thanks again.
If you can make those “mileage run” flights into an enjoyable getaway somewhere and get the status, I would do that. However, if you are just doing the flying for the miles/EQD, I would save your money and hold off on that for the following reasons:

A) You can easily get the status again next year through flying, possibly with a challenge. You might even be able go get a higher status than gold.
B) Gold benefits aren’t particularly valuable. You mention flying to the Caribbean. It makes no sese to take expensive mileage runs for status in that case. Why? Because you can just use that money next calendar year to fly First Class on your next vacation and therby have all of the benefits anyway. And you could be accruing miles toward a challenge for Platinum status at that time.
C) AA will likely offer you a buy back option for Gold, for less than it would cost you to retain it by flying.
D) What specifically do you value about gold status? Most of those benefits are duplicated by the Citi AAdvantage Executive credit card - the one that includes Admirals Club membership. The annual fee of that credit card is effectively quite low if you use the credits and makes sense if you avail of AC access. You may just need that credit card account open in order to get the benefits you want.

Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold

Thanks again.
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

If you can make those “mileage run” flights into an enjoyable getaway somewhere and get the status, I would do that. However, if you are just doing the flying for the miles/EQD, I would save your money and hold off on that for the following reasons:

A) You can easily get the status again next year through flying, possibly with a challenge. You might even be able go get a higher status than gold.
B) Gold benefits aren’t particularly valuable. You mention flying to the Caribbean. It makes no sese to take expensive mileage runs for status in that case. Why? Because you can just use that money next calendar year to fly First Class on your next vacation and therby have all of the benefits anyway. And you could be accruing miles toward a challenge for Platinum status at that time.
C) AA will likely offer you a buy back option for Gold, for less than it would cost you to retain it by flying.
D) What specifically do you value about gold status? Most of those benefits are duplicated by the Citi AAdvantage Executive credit card - the one that includes Admirals Club membership. The annual fee of that credit card is effectively quite low if you use the credits and makes sense if you avail of AC access. You may just need that credit card account open in order to get the benefits you want.
Since Gold status doesn't get you Admiral's Club status, a more equivalent card to that would be the much cheaper Citi Platinum AA card. But, yes, depending on which Platinum benefits (AC status?) are most important to Margo39, getting the Executive card could make more sense than a Plat Challenge.

Margo39, are you saying you are considering taking extra flights this year to earn Gold for next year? Or Platinum? If so, there is a forum which helps posters find the best way of achieving that. Then you'll have a sense of the cost and hassle required, and decide whether it's worth it, considering the benefits and alternatives as MikeFromTokyo laid out.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
B) Gold benefits aren’t particularly valuable. You mention flying to the Caribbean.
My Gold status lets me: book close-in awards without paying the $75 close-in fee; select MCE seats free of charge at T-24 (if any are still available); and get free, same-day standby.

In addition, for travel between the Mainland and the Caribbean zone, Gold status gets you a free checked bag in Coach; the credit card does not.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: JL OW Sapphire, NH *A Gold
Ticketing AA/JL combination

How can I buy tickets like AA111 and JL222 not AA111 and AA7222.

ex.)
AA111/JL5111 AA metal
JL222/AA7222 JL metal

ITA matrix shows any combination of these tickets with different prices and Tampermonkey script enables me to ticket it.
But I want to buy it in the normal way as I usually do on aa.com or jal.co.jp without tricks.

Is it possible?

Last edited by LandMiler; Oct 14, 2018 at 9:52 pm
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
My Gold status lets me: book close-in awards without paying the $75 close-in fee; select MCE seats free of charge at T-24 (if any are still available); and get free, same-day standby.

In addition, for travel between the Mainland and the Caribbean zone, Gold status gets you a free checked bag in Coach; the credit card does not.
And would you value that at over $1,000 per year?

The bag benefit also comes with credit cards.

In the poster’s situation to which I was referring, it would be better to either buy back the status, or do a challenge next year. Spending over $1,000 on a mileage run to keep Gold likely is not worth it.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

And would you value that at over $1,000 per year?

The bag benefit also comes with credit cards.

In the poster’s situation to which I was referring, it would be better to either buy back the status, or do a challenge next year. Spending over $1,000 on a mileage run to keep Gold likely is not worth it.
As far as I know, no credit card gives a free checked bag on travel between the Mainland and the Caribbean zone. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

I was not placing a monetary value on the Gold benefits; just pointing out that they do have value. Whether they are worth $1,000 -- or any other amount of money -- might depend on how often one travels.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Hi everyone,
I'm pretty clueless about status programs and "accidentally" achieved Platinum on AA a few years ago because of a job I had. I learned the value of that when I had a flight in Italy canceled and received amazing service. I'm now down to Gold status (and have been for three years) and I'm ok with it, but I'm about to lose it. My husband and I are now retired and we travel only for leisure. We've got a few int'l trips planned for 2019 (Caribbean, UK, Tel Aviv) so I'd like to keep Gold if possible for the convenience it offers. I know it's not that great for those of you who have higher status, but for us, it's perfect. Really don't want to lose it.

Do you have any suggestions for keeping it? I called AA and asked to be put on a challenge and was told that I'd have to wait until I lose status to do it. The rep suggested I book a few first class tickets. That would cost about $2k minimum from what I can see - and if that's the case, isn't it better to wait, lose the status and be put on a challenge? Are there any cheap runs I can do first class that can get me where I need to be? I'm about halfway on EQM (11,830) and EQD (1486) with only 8 segments.

Thank you in advance for your expertise - I am so excited to have found this forum and wish I'd found it while I was flying for business!
Margo
I have a couple of suggestions. 1st, get the Barclay Aviator Red card (potential to earn EQD's) and pay every bill you can using it (pay off every month, of course) then, after a year ask to upgrade your account to Silver (potential to earn EQD's and EQM's). 2nd, compare Business and First fares when booking. An example, my husband had meetings in San Antonio and we wanted to visit a friend in Austin. Since he has to book his business travel through corporate I booked my ticket direct to Austin to meet him, I got a First R/T (each way booked as one-way) fare for less than $50 more than my husband's economy ticket. I stumbled across this because I was looking for one-way fares to San Antonio and Austin. You get double the EQM's on these depending on booking code. Look at one-way fares, NOT just R/T, because one leg might be a bargain in a higher class but not R/T.

Good luck! I also love the free bag benefit when travelling out of the country, especially coming home
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Advantage
Hello everyone,

Will be flying LAX-SYD on Oct 27th. We have no status, so we booked flights in April and asked for upgrade (miles+fee). Checking Expert Flyer today and there is one J seat, so our chances are zilch to none for an upgrade it looks like. But we were told to ask if anyone had SWU? I was confused as to what they were talking about, but if they help us get an upgrade, I will be so grateful. I apologize if my question sounds redundant in any way. If anyone can help us, we would be quite happy. Thank you all for your help :-)
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
AA will allow an award ticket to be “held” for 5 days. Will they allow 2 different tickets to be on hold at the same time for the same traveler and same date? For example, would they allow JFK-LHR January 1st and JFK-LHR same date 4 hours later (same traveler) to both be on hold at the same time? If so, will they allow 2 tickets to be held which include the exact same first flight with different connecting flights? Thank you.

Several sources write that for an AA award, you can change your travel dates and routing at no cost so long as your origin, destination and class of service remain the same. Does that include awards on partner airlines and adding an extra flight? For example, PVG-AUH-JFK award booked on EY, presuming availability on the same date could one change at no cost to PVG-AUH-LHR on EY connecting to LHR-JFK on BA (understanding that BA fuel surcharge would apply)?

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Oct 14, 2018 at 10:53 pm
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
AA will allow an award ticket to be “held” for 5 days. Will they allow 2 different tickets to be on hold at the same time for the same traveler and same date? For example, would they allow JFK-LHR January 1st and JFK-LHR same date 4 hours later (same traveler) to both be on hold at the same time? If so, will they allow 2 tickets to be held which include the exact same first flight with different connecting flights? Thank you.

Several sources write that for an AA award, you can change your travel dates and routing at no cost so long as your origin, destination and class of service remain the same. Does that include awards on partner airlines and adding an extra flight? For example, PVG-AUH-JFK award booked on EY, presuming availability on the same date could one change at no cost to PVG-AUH-LHR on EY connecting to LHR-JFK on BA (understanding that BA fuel surcharge would apply)?
AA generally doesn’t allow impossible bookings, whether they are award or paid.

For the detailed rules, please see AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd), particularly the Wikipost at the top of the page.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Kitten81
Hello everyone,

Will be flying LAX-SYD on Oct 27th. We have no status, so we booked flights in April and asked for upgrade (miles+fee). Checking Expert Flyer today and there is one J seat, so our chances are zilch to none for an upgrade it looks like. But we were told to ask if anyone had SWU? I was confused as to what they were talking about, but if they help us get an upgrade, I will be so grateful. I apologize if my question sounds redundant in any way. If anyone can help us, we would be quite happy. Thank you all for your help :-)
SWUs are the international upgrades given to CKs and EXPs every year they qualify, it's basically the same thing as the miles/copay upgrade you're trying to use. The upgrades all come from the same inventory though, so even if you did have SWUs they wouldn't really help you get the upgrade any quicker, you would just be paying for it with a different currency.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski

You can generally hold two different tickets on the same day for a "while", but there's a chance that AA's computers will automatically cancel one of them sometime over the next day.

However, you cannot hold 2 different tickets where one of the flights is exactly the same. So in your 2nd example, same first flight with different connecting flights, the computer will catch it and you'll get an error message when clicking through to put the 2nd one on hold.

As to changing awards, you can add a segment for no fee as long as the award type doesn't change and your origin and destination remain the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.