Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

  Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 1, 19, 6:16 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)



Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:


Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here



Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Jan 18, 18, 5:59 pm
  #151  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 5,427
Originally Posted by sturges View Post
Thinking of booking LAX-HND/NRT on AA as I haven't tried out the premium economy yet. I was considering booking a separate AS ticket SEA-LAX arriving 3-4 hrs prior.

Is there any way to check in/retrieve my boarding pass airside at LAX for the Japan flight in case OLCI fails? Or will I have to return to the check-in desk?

I am aware of the risk of misconnect, I just want my extra 1900 AS EQMs
Sure, you can check in at any customer service desk, AC or Flagship Lounge, etc. If you have time, you could also try the AA check-in at SEA.
sturges likes this.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Jan 18, 18, 6:45 pm
  #152  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 42
I'm trying to book an Iberia business class ticket with AA miles. The flight shows 1 award seat available when searching on British Airways' website. It doesn't show up on AA's search and the phone agent doesn't see it either. Is there anyway AA can get this space?

Moved thread, per Mwenezi's reply

Last edited by bosflyer93; Jan 18, 18 at 7:11 pm Reason: Wrong thread
bosflyer93 is offline  
Old Jan 18, 18, 7:06 pm
  #153  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 13,616
Originally Posted by bosflyer93 View Post
I'm trying to book an Iberia business class ticket with AA miles. The flight shows 1 award seat available when searching on British Airways' website. It doesn't show up on AA's search and the phone agent doesn't see it either. Is there anyway AA can get this space?
Oneworld and other airline Awards Rules, Information 2015 on


BA IB http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jan 18, 18, 7:31 pm
  #154  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 1A
Programs: Marriott, Hyatt, HA, AA, DL, JL
Posts: 729
Cannot find thread on AA 787 800 seats. Looking for experience 8c amd 8H. Does bulkhead end allow decent leg room? Thanks
rjlon is offline  
Old Jan 18, 18, 8:09 pm
  #155  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by rjlon View Post
Cannot find thread on AA 787 800 seats. Looking for experience 8c amd 8H. Does bulkhead end allow decent leg room? Thanks

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29282565-post10.html
thunderlounge is offline  
Old Jan 19, 18, 1:04 am
  #156  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: ATL/MCO
Programs: SAS Silver, Finnair Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Posts: 3,039
Apologies if my question is in the wrong thread,

If I fly HEL-ORD-ATL, will I have Admirals Club access on arrival at ATL?
miamiflyer8 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 18, 6:17 am
  #157  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 5,427
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
Apologies if my question is in the wrong thread,

If I fly HEL-ORD-ATL, will I have Admirals Club access on arrival at ATL?
Assuming your HEL-ORD flight is in business, or you have oneworld Emerald or Sapphire status, or you're an AC member, then yep you can access the club after arriving in ATL.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Jan 19, 18, 8:04 am
  #158  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Concord, NC
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 164
using cancelled flight credit

I feel as if I should know this ... (like most things)
Approximately four months ago I had to cancel a non-refundable (coach fare) flight. My understanding was that I could re-book within a year provided I pay the appropriate change fee. My question is: do I need to call to do this, or is it possible online? I thought there was a way to do it online, but I can no longer access my record locator.
Thanks!
EDnearJQF is offline  
Old Jan 19, 18, 11:27 am
  #159  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 60,947
Originally Posted by EDnearJQF View Post
I feel as if I should know this ... (like most things)
Approximately four months ago I had to cancel a non-refundable (coach fare) flight. My understanding was that I could re-book within a year provided I pay the appropriate change fee. My question is: do I need to call to do this, or is it possible online? I thought there was a way to do it online, but I can no longer access my record locator.
Thanks!
The PNR recycles ultimately, so what you’d need would be the ticket number anyway. I’m not sure it’s possible to do what you want online, and think you may need to call.
JDiver is offline  
Old Jan 20, 18, 5:59 pm
  #160  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 3
Newbie question

Hi everyone,
New to expert flyer/flyer talk and had the most basic question for all of you...I have found the flight I want, it has availability, now how on earth do I book it? I imagine with a phone call to AA? The flight/price I want is just not popping up on their site.

Thanks for your help.
jen.junk is offline  
Old Jan 20, 18, 6:05 pm
  #161  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington,DC
Posts: 1,484
Originally Posted by jen.junk View Post
Hi everyone,
New to expert flyer/flyer talk and had the most basic question for all of you...I have found the flight I want, it has availability, now how on earth do I book it? I imagine with a phone call to AA? The flight/price I want is just not popping up on their site.

Thanks for your help.
Welcome to Flyertalk

You will get more help if you supply more information

Where did you see the flight/price you wanted?
Why not book there?
Bear in mind AA will charge a phone fee to call and book
Sometimes you can force AA.com to show specific flights...with details you will get more help
SteveinA2 is offline  
Old Jan 20, 18, 6:14 pm
  #162  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 3
Thank you SteveinA2,
I have seen the price/flights I want via google flights
AA Bos to Syd via LAX 2:40pm departure
QT BNE to Bos via LAX 9:05 departure
getting a price of $3908 for 2 people economy. I have status on AA and hoping to get an upgrade.
On google flights - I can select this itinerary and it pops me over to AA. I fill in all passenger info hit Continue and it bounces me back. I just thought it was giving me problems as one of the legs in on Qantas. So I called. I got the explanation that AA was having website trouble and I should try again. I have been trying and trying again - to no avail.

There is another flight I would like to try and get is BOS to SYD via DFW - first leg is on AA to DFW then Qantas to SYD. Flight home BNE to BOS via DFW. First flight on Qantas, DFW leg to BOS is on AA. Why can't I book all of this on AA.com/call....I know they are codeshare partners.

Then next question, can I upgrade on a Qantas flight if I have AA miles?

Thank you
jen.junk is offline  
Old Jan 20, 18, 6:24 pm
  #163  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Programs: QF, 06, GA, Hyatt, Marriott
Posts: 2,544
What is the charge for a fourth checked bag for a oneworld Emerald? I assume three checked bags is the complimentary limit, and that includes the oneworld Emerald additional bag/piece benefit.
danger is offline  
Old Jan 20, 18, 7:55 pm
  #164  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 13,616
jen.junk Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by jen.junk View Post
I have seen the price/flights I want via google flights
AA Bos to Syd via LAX 2:40pm departure
QT BNE to Bos via LAX 9:05 departure
getting a price of $3908 for 2 people economy. I have status on AA and hoping to get an upgrade.

On google flights - I can select this itinerary and it pops me over to AA. I fill in all passenger info hit Continue and it bounces me back. I just thought it was giving me problems as one of the legs in on Qantas. So I called. I got the explanation that AA was having website trouble and I should try again. I have been trying and trying again - to no avail.

There is another flight I would like to try and get is BOS to SYD via DFW - first leg is on AA to DFW then Qantas to SYD. Flight home BNE to BOS via DFW. First flight on Qantas, DFW leg to BOS is on AA. Why can't I book all of this on AA.com/call....I know they are codeshare partners.

Then next question, can I upgrade on a Qantas flight if I have AA miles?
So considering flights
BOS-LAX-SYD on AA/AA or AA/QF
and
BNE-LAX-BOS on QF/AA or maybe
BNE-SYD-LAX-BOS on QF/AA/AA or QF/QF/AA

2nd
BOS-DFW-SYD on AA/QF

"BNE to BOS via DFW" would be
BNE-SYD-DFW-BOS on QF/QF/AA or
BNE-LAX-DFW-BOS on QF/AA/AA
QF only fly to/from DFW from/to SYD

You cannot upgrade QF flights with AA ff miles.
You cannot upgrade QF/AA codeshares with AA ff miles.

What AA status? Upgrading the AA LAX SYD flight is getting harder.
Dedicated AA thread for this flight https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...iscussion.html

Enjoy Australia when you get here.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 20, 18 at 8:06 pm
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jan 20, 18, 8:08 pm
  #165  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 13,616
Originally Posted by danger View Post
What is the charge for a fourth checked bag for a oneworld Emerald? I assume three checked bags is the complimentary limit, and that includes the oneworld Emerald additional bag/piece benefit.
Flying from where to where in what class?
Mwenenzi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread