Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jacqbaz
My family of four is seeking to return from Paris in Dec. I have 3 segments on hold w 3 Different Record Locator Numbers

1. CDG to LHR
2. LHR to PHL
3. PHL to DFW

When I call AA (Platinum Pro Desk) to book, they say I have to use 90K miles rather than 30K. What have I done wrong or what do I need to do? The class of service is the same and there is less than 24 hours layover in LHR and PHL. I'm booking for four passengers and we have enough 120,000. Im not sure whether there is a problem or whether I need to keep calling until I get someone who can help me. Thanks
All three segments have to be on the same record, otherwise it will price as three awards. If possible, I would see if you can create a new reservation with all three segments in one record; if there's no availability now, I'd call and see if the agent can combine the records (not sure if that's actually possible).
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:18 pm

It appears that u booked each segment in. A different record so each segment is pricing by itself. You need to get aa to combine the booking into 1 PNR to get the lowest # of miles users. Now whether they will do it or if availability and/or married segment rules start to come into play IDK.

Originally Posted by jacqbaz
My family of four is seeking to return from Paris in Dec. I have 3 segments on hold w 3 Different Record Locator Numbers

1. CDG to LHR
2. LHR to PHL
3. PHL to DFW

When I call AA (Platinum Pro Desk) to book, they say I have to use 90K miles rather than 30K. What have I done wrong or what do I need to do? The class of service is the same and there is less than 24 hours layover in LHR and PHL. I'm booking for four passengers and we have enough 120,000. Im not sure whether there is a problem or whether I need to keep calling until I get someone who can help me. Thanks
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MADPhil
You should be able to select seats on the BA site, assuming you had the status when you booked. Otherwise it's remove the FF number and add it again. You will probably need to call BA rather than AA.
I booked BA flights with AA number on booking in First and Business. Had to pay seat fee on website then call BA to get ut refunded.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:50 am

Very noobie question indeed. I'm a member of AA program (Citi and BarclaycardUS program). I've currently accumulated 170k miles. Since AA doesn't operate here, what's the best way of using them? Qatar's pretty popular in Nepal.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:47 am

Hello guys,
I'm a newbie here. I have $650 AA gift cards and in January 2019 I will have another $900 of them. Question, how do I spend them? I tried to book through AA using gift cards but failed because my base airport is LHR now and they do not allow using AA gift cards on British Airways operations coming from oversea location. I have to book my ticket using UR points instead. Please help figure out way to spend these gift cards. Thank you.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by The.walker
Very noobie question indeed. I'm a member of AA program (Citi and BarclaycardUS program). I've currently accumulated 170k miles. Since AA doesn't operate here, what's the best way of using them? Qatar's pretty popular in Nepal.
You can use your AA miles to book award tickets on any of the oneworld carriers and many other partner carriers. Qatar, Etihad, Cathay Pacific & Cathay Dragon, etc. are all possibilities and many more. For most of these you need to call AA to check availability and book award tickets, they will not show up online at aa.com.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You can use your AA miles to book award tickets on any of the oneworld carriers and many other partner carriers. Qatar, Etihad, Cathay Pacific & Cathay Dragon, etc. are all possibilities and many more. For most of these you need to call AA to check availability and book award tickets, they will not show up online at aa.com.
hey thanks for this. Like I said, I've never used points to book flights. How much money would I be looking into paying off my own pockets if I were to book a RT to San Francisco or London? doesn't have to be accurate info...just a ballpark figure would suffice..
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
hey thanks for this. Like I said, I've never used points to book flights. How much money would I be looking into paying off my own pockets if I were to book a RT to San Francisco or London? doesn't have to be accurate info...just a ballpark figure would suffice..
There’s no such thing as a ball park figure, because BA hits it out of the park with its very high YQ carrier imposed fees. But Qatar will charge only the fees you’d pay if flying on a paid ticket, so little out of pocket. Perhaps $50-100? (Note all AA awards are one way.)

You might be interested in the following threads:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance,

the more rules detailed AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

and of course https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:08 am

It would be more expensive if flying on BA, since you mention London, as their fees are at the upper end of the spectrum. Flying on AA, on the other hand would cost less in fees. It would be more helpful if you provided actual examples of routes you might fly. Your best bet is to call AA award reservations and find out what your options are.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
With Citi, you get a deep discount on using AA miles for hotels. For example I used 42k miles for three nights hotel in Miami which would have normally been 80k+. Check it out here: https://www.useaamiles.com/carhotel/
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
I changed my award ticket (traveling spring 2019) but still haven’t gotten a confirmation from aa after five days. I do see the available award seats go down by one on my route. AA says all changes need to be manually reviewed. Is this the case? Last time I changed a ticket (traveling spring 2019, same airlines, routing) it took one day for the new ticket to confirm. What are your experiences changing award tickets?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluegatorade
I changed my award ticket (traveling spring 2019) but still haven’t gotten a confirmation from aa after five days. I do see the available award seats go down by one on my route. AA says all changes need to be manually reviewed. Is this the case? Last time I changed a ticket (traveling spring 2019, same airlines, routing) it took one day for the new ticket to confirm. What are your experiences changing award tickets?
When you view your reservation at aa.com does it say ticketed?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:23 am

When you view your reservation at aa.com does it say ticketed?
No, it says "on request" and it's been on that this whole time.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluegatorade
No, it says "on request" and it's been on that this whole time.
What is your itinerary? Some airlines can take a bit longer to ticket but 5 days is stretching it. Just give AA a call today to see what's up.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:32 pm

What is your itinerary? Some airlines can take a bit longer to ticket but 5 days is stretching it. Just give AA a call today to see what's up.
changed from JL-JL to KA-CX both PEK-JFK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.