Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium (LT Gold), UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by MADPhil
You should be able to select seats on the BA site, assuming you had the status when you booked. Otherwise it's remove the FF number and add it again. You will probably need to call BA rather than AA.
I had the status at the time of booking but when I'm rerouted to the BA site to select seats it wants me to sign up for their program in order to access.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
I had the status at the time of booking but when I'm rerouted to the BA site to select seats it wants me to sign up for their program in order to access.
You should be able to get into MMB with the BA record locator and your last name. Passing between AA and BA is flaky in either direction.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium (LT Gold), UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
You should be able to get into MMB with the BA record locator and your last name. Passing between AA and BA is flaky in either direction.
It's asking for me to create a Finnair Plus account, is this the way to go or should I be accessing it a different way?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:46 pm

Admirals Club Access Question.

I would be flying Canada - Central America. Paid Business Class.
There would be connections in one or two AA hubs.
Spend the night in a hotel continue to destination.
Return the same way.

Do I get club for all segments of just the one from USA-Central America.?

Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tracon
Admirals Club Access Question.

I would be flying Canada - Central America. Paid Business Class.
There would be connections in one or two AA hubs.
Spend the night in a hotel continue to destination.
Return the same way.

Do I get club for all segments of just the one from USA-Central America.?

Thanks.
By the rules you'll get access to all clubs on the calendar day of your Central American flights.

In practice, sometimes the agents will let you in the day before or after your qualifying flight. It helps if you have your international boarding pass and say something like "I'm on the way to Costa Rica," or the like.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:13 pm

It's asking for me to create a Finnair Plus account, is this the way to go or should I be accessing it a different way?
I have never used that route (I just call) but there are quite a few mentions on FT. It certainly could be that you need an account. Have you gone directly into BA MMB to select seats?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:18 pm

I have never used that route (I just call) but there are quite a few mentions on FT. It certainly could be that you need an account. Have you gone directly into BA MMB to select seats?
I booked with AA, and when my account redirects me to BA for seat selection it makes me log in with my BA account
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:26 pm

I booked with AA, and when my account redirects me to BA for seat selection it makes me log in with my BA account
When AA.com passes you to BA you will see a BA locator code. Use this with your last name to open the reservation in MMB on the BA site. I also just tried this on the Finnair site and could get all the way to editable passenger information without an account. The important thing is to use the BA record locator.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:16 pm

When AA.com passes you to BA you will see a BA locator code. Use this with your last name to open the reservation in MMB on the BA site. I also just tried this on the Finnair site and could get all the way to editable passenger information without an account. The important thing is to use the BA record locator.
That did the trick, thanks!
MADPhil likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:12 pm

I have an AA flight that I booked through AS coming up. Unfortunately, since i paid with AS miles, it input my AS frequent flyer number into the reservation. I contacted AA, they said to contact AS. I did, and they said they added my AAdvantage number to the reservation, but it is not showing in my reservations. I contacted them yesterday.

Should I give it more time? Or is that actually not possible for them to do, since my AS number is on there?

My biggest concern is getting my free checked bag, since we are connecting to an intl flight. Can I just tell them my AAdvantage account at check in and they will waive the fee, or should I keep pestering AS on this to make sure the booking has it prior to the trip?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Here's a question I'm not sure I know the answer to. As an EXP I know I have the ability to cancel an award ticket with no penalty and have the miles redeposited into my account. A friend of mine (no status) has offered to use her miles for tickets for the pair of us. My question is this: even though the miles are from her account, does my status carry those same benefits of free award redepositing if we're on the same ticket? What if it was a ticket for me and me alone but still from her miles?

Much appreciated!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by shimps1
I have an AA flight that I booked through AS coming up. Unfortunately, since i paid with AS miles, it input my AS frequent flyer number into the reservation. I contacted AA, they said to contact AS. I did, and they said they added my AAdvantage number to the reservation, but it is not showing in my reservations. I contacted them yesterday.

Should I give it more time? Or is that actually not possible for them to do, since my AS number is on there?

My biggest concern is getting my free checked bag, since we are connecting to an intl flight. Can I just tell them my AAdvantage account at check in and they will waive the fee, or should I keep pestering AS on this to make sure the booking has it prior to the trip?
Does your status grant you a free bag, or ? At checkin, you should be able to have the FFN changed, assuming a HUCA to AA can’t get it done. You might also ask AS to just remove your FFN and then attempt adding it at aa.com.

Originally Posted by aaflyer93
Here's a question I'm not sure I know the answer to. As an EXP I know I have the ability to cancel an award ticket with no penalty and have the miles redeposited into my account. A friend of mine (no status) has offered to use her miles for tickets for the pair of us. My question is this: even though the miles are from her account, does my status carry those same benefits of free award redepositing if we're on the same ticket? What if it was a ticket for me and me alone but still from her miles?

Much appreciated!
No, and no. The account the miles are drawn from must belong to an EXP, iirc.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 25, 2018 at 8:49 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Makes perfect sense. I figured as much. Appreciate the quick reply!
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Does your status grant you a free bag, or ? At checkin, you should be able to have the FFN changed, assuming a HUCA to AA can’t get it done. You might also ask AS to just remove your FFN and then attempt adding it at aa.com.

Well, status doesn't, but credit card does. I will try calling again.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:40 pm

AA Award Travel - International

My family of four is seeking to return from Paris in Dec. I have 3 segments on hold w 3 Different Record Locator Numbers

1. CDG to LHR
2. LHR to PHL
3. PHL to DFW

When I call AA (Platinum Pro Desk) to book, they say I have to use 90K miles rather than 30K. What have I done wrong or what do I need to do? The class of service is the same and there is less than 24 hours layover in LHR and PHL. I'm booking for four passengers and we have enough 120,000. Im not sure whether there is a problem or whether I need to keep calling until I get someone who can help me. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.