Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

  Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 1, 19, 6:16 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)



Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:


Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here



Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 14, 18, 8:21 am
  #1501  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,918
Originally Posted by shelly67 View Post
Apologies if this should be posted elsewhere. I have searched but could not find an answer to this. We are booked next month directly with AA LHR-MIA-BZE on one PNR in J (only Bronze currently with BA). Was hoping to try the AA flagship lounge in MIA but we're having to overnight in MIA so, although the 2nd leg is also J, I don't think it is a qualifying flight or would they allow access since our ticket is transatlantic? I'm guessing that's probably wishful thinking?
If your MIA-BZE flight was the same day as your LHR-MIA flight, then you'd get FL access. But no access by the rules since your connecting flight is the next day. Although you can certainly try, many agents get confused by this rule, make sure you hang on to your LHR-MIA boarding pass.

Doh, BZE is Central America and not Caribbean, so FL access will be no problem.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2018-a.html

Last edited by JJeffrey; Sep 14, 18 at 8:54 am
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Sep 14, 18, 8:39 am
  #1502  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 45
Many thanks for that..... as I expected although I have just read that CA flights are classed as international so maybe BZE does qualify in any event?
shelly67 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 18, 8:52 am
  #1503  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,918
Originally Posted by shelly67 View Post
Many thanks for that..... as I expected although I have just read that CA flights are classed as international so maybe BZE does qualify in any event?
You are correct, doh! AA excludes the Caribbean and most of Mexico as being international for lounge access purposes, but BZE is Central America so you will get FL access at MIA before your flight. Safe travels!
shelly67 likes this.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Sep 15, 18, 9:08 am
  #1504  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 706
AAnytime award flights book to PUJ coming up in October for a vacation. My wife is now pregnant and cannot go obviously, due to zika. Does AA offer any sort of refund for a situation like this, or do I just have to eat the cost here? Or, can I change the name on the tickets, and have someone else fly instead of her? Hotels are not cancellable, so as bad as it sounds I am still going to go, since we are traveling with friends.
shimps1 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 18, 9:14 am
  #1505  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BKK
Posts: 6,706
Originally Posted by shimps1 View Post
AAnytime award flights book to PUJ coming up in October for a vacation. My wife is now pregnant and cannot go obviously, due to zika. Does AA offer any sort of refund for a situation like this, or do I just have to eat the cost here? Or, can I change the name on the tickets, and have someone else fly instead of her? Hotels are not cancellable, so as bad as it sounds I am still going to go, since we are traveling with friends.
Iím not following, the award tickets of course can be cancelled and the miles redeposited upon payment of any applicable fee.

This is a prime example of why I avoid prepaid hotel bookings in the vast majority of cases. Something can always come up, and the savings are usually not worth the risk.
MikeFromTokyo is offline  
Old Sep 15, 18, 9:18 am
  #1506  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 706
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post


Iím not following, the award tickets of course can be cancelled and the miles redeposited upon payment of any applicable fee.

This is a prime example of why I avoid prepaid hotel bookings in the vast majority of cases. Something can always come up, and the savings are usually not worth the risk.
I am just curious if there is a possible waiver of that fee since this is a little bit of an extenuating circumstance. Our fault, I know, but maybe AA would be a little understanding. Do you happen to know what the fee to redeposit is?

Or, do you think they would allow a change of destination, with a fee waived?
shimps1 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 18, 9:29 am
  #1507  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York
Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Posts: 1,484
Originally Posted by shimps1 View Post
I am just curious if there is a possible waiver of that fee since this is a little bit of an extenuating circumstance. Our fault, I know, but maybe AA would be a little understanding. Do you happen to know what the fee to redeposit is?

Or, do you think they would allow a change of destination, with a fee waived?
You can always ask nicely, but I doubt AAgent could do too much about it.

You can change destination without incurring fees in some cases:
"For MileSAAver awards, origin or destination changes to the itinerary will incur a change fee of $150, even when retaining the same award type" and "...waived only when retaining the same award type"


The redeposit fee is also $150.
"The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket. Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket"

All these fees waived for EXP.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ard-travel.jsp

Last edited by andersonCooper; Sep 15, 18 at 4:48 pm
andersonCooper is offline  
Old Sep 15, 18, 9:40 am
  #1508  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BKK
Posts: 6,706
Originally Posted by shimps1 View Post
I am just curious if there is a possible waiver of that fee since this is a little bit of an extenuating circumstance. Our fault, I know, but maybe AA would be a little understanding. Do you happen to know what the fee to redeposit is?

Or, do you think they would allow a change of destination, with a fee waived?
Be careful of economically irrational thinking here. Yes, you will forfeit a certain amount if you cancel, but that still could be the most logical choice.

On the other hand, you can change the dates of travel to the same destination to up to a year from the date of issue if that helps. In future, consider travel insurance, protection benefits available with credit cards you may have, and most importantly think twice about prepaid hotel reservations. In some cases, when plans and travel dates are set in stone and the savings are more than trivial, they make sense. In other cases like this one, you can end up getting burned if plans change, which really is not worth risking for a 10%~15% discount off the lowest flexible rate.

By the way call the hotel or resort too. If you’re lucky they may agree to a solution such as allowing you to change dates, or allowing you to apply the value of the prepaid deposit you have made to a future stay.


MikeFromTokyo is offline  
Old Sep 15, 18, 10:43 am
  #1509  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 22,064
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post


Be careful of economically irrational thinking here. Yes, you will forfeit a certain amount if you cancel, but that still could be the most logical choice.

On the other hand, you can change the dates of travel to the same destination to up to a year from the date of issue if that helps. In future, consider travel insurance, protection benefits available with credit cards you may have, and most importantly think twice about prepaid hotel reservations. In some cases, when plans and travel dates are set in stone and the savings are more than trivial, they make sense. In other cases like this one, you can end up getting burned if plans change, which really is not worth risking for a 10%~15% discount off the lowest flexible rate.

By the way call the hotel or resort too. If youíre lucky they may agree to a solution such as allowing you to change dates, or allowing you to apply the value of the prepaid deposit you have made to a future stay.


Also note that if one changes the dates of travel (for free) and there is subsequently a significant schedule change on the new flights, one can then cancel and redeposit the miles for free.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 18, 1:50 pm
  #1510  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,734
Originally Posted by andersonCooper View Post

You can change destination without incurring fees in some cases:
"For MileSAAver awards, origin or destination changes to the itinerary will incur a change fee of $150, even when retaining the same award type" and "...waived only when retaining the same award type"
AndersonCooper; Your statement (bolded ) above followed by that section from AA.com is completely misleading in this context and erroneous.

Shrimps1; you most definitely cannot substitute a passenger but you most definitely should try calling on on the Zika thing
JonNYC is offline  
Old Sep 15, 18, 3:19 pm
  #1511  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: STL
Programs: IHG, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson, Wyndham, Chase
Posts: 45
How do I book a HND-CTS JAL ticket using AA miles?

Not showing available on AA or JAL websites, as far I can tell.
Thanks.
GarySTL is offline  
Old Sep 15, 18, 3:22 pm
  #1512  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 22,064
Originally Posted by GarySTL View Post
Not showing available on AA or JAL websites, as far I can tell.
Thanks.
It is not possible to book JL award travel on aa.com; you must call AA to do so.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 18, 4:48 pm
  #1513  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York
Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Posts: 1,484
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
AndersonCooper; Your statement (bolded ) above followed by that section from AA.com is completely misleading in this context and erroneous.

Shrimps1; you most definitely cannot substitute a passenger but you most definitely should try calling on on the Zika thing
My bad, the fees waiver is for Anytime not Saver. Thanks for JonNYC pointing it out.
andersonCooper is offline  
Old Sep 15, 18, 7:46 pm
  #1514  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BDL/BOS
Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Posts: 1,660
hi all!

a friend who does some AA flying would like to join my group for a trip to hawaii in mid-november. he's 2700 miles short of a roundtrip. what cheap and relatively simple ways are there to earn those miles?

the best i could come up with is using rocketmiles for a hotel stay. www.rocketmiles.com/aa-welcome seems to have a 4000mi new user bonus, and there's a hotel near his location where he could do a mattress run for $65. i know for UA, there's a site where you can do surveys and earn.

any other creative ideas? thanks!
riphamilton is offline  
Old Sep 16, 18, 7:33 am
  #1515  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: DSM
Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by wetrat0 View Post
Welcome to FT.

In response to 1, you are correct-- you need both EQD and ( either EQM or EQS ). You can upfare to get more EQM. If you fly a paid Y (fully flexible economy), business or first class ticket, you will get extra EQM.
Thinking more about this, does upgrading to F at check-in give the same 3.0 EQM multiplier that buying an F ticket at booking would? I guess I'm just wondering if "upfairing" and "upgrading" at check-in are the same thing. I often see upgrades available between DSM and DFW at check-in for around $100 I believe*, but I usually don't pay much attention to it. I've looked at my EQM's earned on this flight the last few times I've taken it, and if I upgraded both ways and got a 3.0 multiplier, that would put me at 25,092 EQM... pretty thin margin but I believe EQM are direct mileage between airports so should be pretty consistent? I'd have to upgrade both ways, and of course I'd run the risk of my return flight not having an upgrade available or costing more than I'm willing to spend... I will probably end up just being patient and waiting until my next flight, just want to be sure of my options.

* I usually don't pay attention to the upgrade offers at check-in but I believe they vary in price based on how many seats are available, correct?
DSM Flyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: