Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why can’t AA Cut EXP's a break on SWU's at time of ticketing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why can’t AA Cut EXP's a break on SWU's at time of ticketing?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EXPs already have access to expanded award inventory (unless they took it away??) - and pretty sure that includes C/U/Z inventories for business/first awards and upgrades. Not sure what else AA could reasonably do for the OP, other than that pony.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
EXPs already have access to expanded award inventory (unless they took it away??) - and pretty sure that includes C/U/Z inventories for business/first awards and upgrades.
That benefit theoretically is still present, but the expanded inventory has become virtually nonexistent per recent reports. In fact, this thread is rather ironic in that AA set up something like what OP wants, but it has apparently been dialed back to almost nothing.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:13 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by arkyrab
It’s probably obvious but do you make these reservations by phone?
You don't need to as you can clearly see the flights that are available online. Of course, you do need to go to specific dates and check the availability, but I've noticed many flights showing SWU UPG's Y to C including my HKG-LAX RT in Aug/Sept; a JFK-LHR I needed for positioning in April. I have the luxury of being flexible on dates and day of the week, since I'm retired and on my own dime. Have used up almost all of our 10 SWU's (GF has 4 and I earned 6,) in already ticketed and UPG'd 2018 travel.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
When SWU (VIPOW, VIP2) first came out, they were positive upgrade regardless of award or upgrade inventory, as long as seats were available, at least for domestic flights. They were transferable paper coupons, good for one year from the date of issue. The extension of validity to the current and following status years occurred when AA decided to make these fully electronic and reflect SWU in our accounts. Many months elapsed until they could achieve this, so they extended SWU validity. I’m looking at the historical context of these instruments. By that time using a VIP / SWU had required designated inventory availability for some years. (I’ve been flying AA since the 1940s, so I remember some of this stuff.)
Hey, everybody. I wasn't asking for a "pony". Just wondering if the airline would ever loosen up and let some folks who had these things get a crack at using them---possibly enticing the airline to giving passengers a target to shoot at---and preserving the everlasting need to make revenue for the company.

It's obvious AA is in business to make money. I have AAL stock (any of the "pro pony" posters have it?) Buffet would probably make fun of me for having the stock.

I was born in the 40's, and some of my competitors like to paint me as older than dirt. So JDiver, were you flying as a lap child, or did you use SWU's?

To me, it's ironic that I can use DL's similar upgrade certs easier than AA's on transcons. May be related to the number of seats each has out there. I was born in the 1940's and my kids think I'm older than dirt. But JDiver---flying in the 40's---were you a lap child at the time or did you use SWU's
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
That benefit theoretically is still present, but the expanded inventory has become virtually nonexistent per recent reports. In fact, this thread is rather ironic in that AA set up something like what OP wants, but it has apparently been dialed back to almost nothing.
Thanks. Appreciate an honest poster.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
AA is not going to change the programme to fit around your wishes for it - my thought would be that it seems that DL might have a programme that better fits your needs than AA does

It is possible to use SWUs at time of booking for business to 1st class quite easily from what I can see - during a 1 week period starting 7th February , it seemed available on every flight from JFK-SFO.

For economy to business
7th available 1 x 1 stop
8th 1 non stop available
9th 2 non stops and 2 x 1 stop
11th 2 non stops and 1 x 1 stop
13th 1 x 1 stop

on 5 days out of the 7, it is possible to use the SWU to upgrade to business.

In the other direction, there is availability on non stop services on 5 of the 7 days together with 1 stop service on the other 2

Doesn't seem that bad availability for an option for a confirmed upgrade if flexible on flight time
Appreciate the flight availability info, and thanks. Just none of the days were there for when I wanted to fly. I didn't have the flexibility for the other 22 days available in Feb.
I think there is merit in the point of those who say it's a function of the available seats going from one route point to another. I still believe the value and utillity of using SWU's is illusory, for the most part. The airlines won't change. I've gotten used to that, and adjust my game plan accordingly, as any of us should do.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
​​​​​​
I'd disagree. Where I formerly worked (back when upgrades were easy to use), if we flew Y on flights >5 hours, we got 50% of the difference between Y->J. I often booked Y, used an upgrade cert or miles, and took home a significant pile of cash regularly. So airlines (not just AA) lost a large sum of money that I got to pocket half of. Since it only takes $12M to reach ExPlat, one could easily "cost" an airline half of that by burning 4 upgrade certs instead of paying for J. IMO, this could easily make the passenger a negative value passenger, even if they're ExPlat.
I don't work for a company paying for my flights and it's all on my dime whenever I travel. I never felt I "cost": an airline when I burned upgrade certs. I certainly didn't have any feeling of being "negative value passenge"r as an EXP and am a stockholder in AAL. The $12K I had already spent was good enough to prop up my self-esteem.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Hengilas
M = one thousand
MM = one million
Yes, in Roman Numerals, M = 1000
However, in standard 21st Century English, we usually use "K" to mean 1000, as in, "I am running a 10K next week", or "I made $200K last year"
eponymous_coward and apeortdz like this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FullFare
Appreciate the flight availability info, and thanks. Just none of the days were there for when I wanted to fly. I didn't have the flexibility for the other 22 days available in Feb.
Ah...so you're just asking for AA to work around your schedule? I.e., a pony.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
Yes, in Roman Numerals, M = 1000
However, in standard 21st Century English, we usually use "K" to mean 1000, as in, "I am running a 10K next week", or "I made $200K last year"
AAlright, they're both correct people!
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
In a perfect world, SWUs should still be applicable to any available flight, given that seats are open.

I don't know how anyone can actively try to convince you that it's better this way, or that your concerns are unfounded. It's almost like there's a "hey, I had the time and the smarts to figure it out - I got mine, so screw you" or "I had to jump through hoops or spend hours figuring this out, now you have to also" - which to be quite honest doesn't surprise me given the demographics of FT.

So no, I don't think the OP is incorrect - and I agree with him that this benefit should be applicable to any seat on any flights with space available. We played by the rules, earned the SWUs, and should be able to use them as we please. In a perfect world, this is how it would work - but as I'm sure you know, we don't live in a perfect world, and I can't ever imagine AA just reverting to a policy of space-available anytime use for their SWUs. It would sure make traveling with a significant other or partner much easier and less stressful to plan. Some people on these boards probably spend upwards of 40-50k with AA and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that they can easily use their SWUs.

That being said I do recognize the obscene value of SWUs in occasional situations - for example, buying a pair of $800 LAX-LHR tickets and upgrading you and a partner to biz both ways is probably worth over $10k some times. In years past, the "face value" of these 4 upgrades could be more than the FF member spent the entire year with AA. So there's a balancing act with them...
Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:32 pm

Booked BWI-DFW-NRT-ORD-BWI for February last week and my upgrades cleared at booking along with my travel companion's. Actually, he got the whole trip but I didn't get BWI-DFW, LOL!
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I have been impressed that even DL, the stingiest FF program on the face of the earth, will typically let me use their upgrade certs on the SFO-JFK route, for at least some of the segments on some of the flights. Granted, DL now dominates the route, with 7-8 no-stops /day. AA is a poor second. UA abandoned the route (unwisely, IMHO).
You might want to rethink your FFP ranking criteria if confirming upgrades at time of ticketing is important to you, as it seems to be.

Carriers aren't going to give up inventory control of their most expensive seats to let people - even high mileage flyers - confirm at time of ticketing on garbage fares. The uberSWU just isn't going to happen.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:10 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Thanks. Appreciate an honest poster.
its pretty much non existent and has been for years
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Half of my SWUs are going to expire unused... and not because I didn’t attempt to use them. Didn’t clear a single upgrade from Y to J, in advance or at the airport. It’s essentially a pointless benefit when that’s the reality of using them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.