Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Op-Up on AA Operated, BA Marketed Flight as EXP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

I'm booked in PE on an AA operated, BA marketed flight where PE is close to having all seats assigned, whereas J seems wide open from a seat assignment perspective (and J7 on EF).

I wonder if there where a need for AA to Op-Up folks from PE to J, would it matter if the ticket was marketed by BA, given the JV, and EXPs would be given priority regardless, or would they look at AA marketed folks with any status first?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Dont think the marketing would matter as much as the route and who else is flying. If they needed space in Y they would likely put employees that are traveling as I believe they get best cabin available (I think their contract calls for that, right?) and if they needed to do an OpUp then CK likely first and then you would be fending against other EXP's. I would plan on being in the seat assigned.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Op ups happen, statistically speaking, zero percent of the time. It's not worth the effort trying to figure out how or when they happen.
But if you must, what you want to look for is a premium cabin that is showing more unassigned seats than seats available for sale (suggesting that maybe seats are being held back to roll people forward) and a Y cabin (or PE in this case) showing zero seats available for sale and zero seats available for assignment. Beyond that, I have never seen reliable reports of how op ups are prioritized.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Blumie
Op ups happen, statistically speaking, zero percent of the time. It's not worth the effort trying to figure out how or when they happen.
But if you must, what you want to look for is a premium cabin that is showing more unassigned seats than seats available for sale (suggesting that maybe seats are being held back to roll people forward) and a Y cabin (or PE in this case) showing zero seats available for sale and zero seats available for assignment. Beyond that, I have never seen reliable reports of how op ups are prioritized.
This.

I have gotten an Op up as a non status passenger multiple times.. mainly because they needed the exit row seats I was sitting in. Operational Upgrade means they do what they need operationally... so there isn't a set formula.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
This.

I have gotten an Op up as a non status passenger multiple times.. mainly because they needed the exit row seats I was sitting in. Operational Upgrade means they do what they need operationally... so there isn't a set formula.
I guess I should be more specific. If there is a cabin rollup to the next cabin on an AA operated flight due to overselling, would an EXP, but ticketed on a partner marketed flight, be treated the same as an EXP with an AA issued ticket, or even be relegated behind an AA GLD with an AA issued ticket?

And just as an FYI, I have gotten many op-ups on AA and partner airlines over the last 12 or so years I've been an EXP, so it does happen, although it can never be counted on obviously.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I guess I should be more specific. If there is a cabin rollup to the next cabin on an AA operated flight due to overselling, would an EXP, but ticketed on a partner marketed flight, be treated the same as an EXP with an AA issued ticket, or even be relegated behind an AA GLD with an AA issued ticket?
I have no idea.

That said, I don't think the average GA knows what ticket stock you were booked on. Only if they have to go digging or make changes does the issue arise. My totally uneducated speculation would be that as an EXP you'd be top of the list (well, behind CK) for an op up.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by teemuflyer

And just as an FYI, I have gotten many op-ups on AA and partner airlines over the last 12 or so years I've been an EXP, so it does happen, although it can never be counted on obviously.
I don't think the ticket stock makes a difference. Assuming you have your AA EXP number in the reservation, they will likely prioritize within EXP by 1 year rolling revenue.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Some EXPs have had success with requesting SWUs at the airport on AA-operated, BA-marketed flights. I have no experience with this myself, but they may be able to add you to the upgrade list there.

Not to be harsh, but I seriously doubt an op-up will be granted. Honestly, it's best not to anticipate an op-up at all. It's like expecting to win the lottery.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Not to be harsh, but I seriously doubt an op-up will be granted. Honestly, it's best not to anticipate an op-up at all. It's like expecting to win the lottery.
I've received op-ups fairly regularly on BA - enough, at least, to realize I'd never in a million years actually pay for BA J.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by rjw242
I've received op-ups fairly regularly on BA - enough, at least, to realize I'd never in a million years actually pay for BA J.
Unfortunately, I've never been that lucky on BA. I usually purchase PEY, but I've never gotten the "golden ticket."

Would it be true that op-ups occur more commonly on BA than AA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.