Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CRJ700 windows must remain open?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:14 am
Original Poster

CRJ700 windows must remain open?

FA told me windows on seat 1A and 1F must remain open for safety reasons?! Who am I to argue with her? First time I have ever heard this. What's the deal?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Perhaps a need to see conditions outside of forward doors to see if they should be opened in an emergency?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Surely the window shades, not the windows !

It's common on many carriers for the carrier's safety & security policy to require shades up for all seats for landing & takeoff. The reasoning being that it permits a double-check that in an emergency the aircraft is not upside down or otherwise facing a fire or other dangerous situation.

If the FA told you this during level flight, she is most likely poorly trained. If it's bothersome, send a note to AA asking that the crew be retrained.
adambrock and nutwpinut like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by davidkierz
FA told me windows on seat 1A and 1F must remain open for safety reasons?! Who am I to argue with her? First time I have ever heard this. What's the deal?
That's going to make it a bit cold........
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: DL Gold / Accor Gold
Originally Posted by davidkierz
An answer: Airline staff reveal why window shades must be kept open during takeoff and landing
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:01 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
After 9/11 I recollect being on flights where we were told to CLOSE the shades in the last 30 minutes prior to landing, the captain on the PA: "for obvious reasons please close your shades". I think the logic was that a terrorist on board wouldn't know over what spot the plane was preventing the explosives already on board the plane from doing the most damage.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
On any aircraft that doesn't have a viewport in the door (such as the CRJ), the FAs have to use the forward windows to ensure that the emergency exit can safely be deployed.
adambrock, asf-07 and moa999 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Often1
It's common on many carriers for the carrier's safety & security policy to require shades up for all seats for landing & takeoff. The reasoning being that it permits a double-check that in an emergency the aircraft is not upside down or otherwise facing a fire or other dangerous situation.
Somewhat OT, but growing up (90's) I swear I had it drilled into me (either through experience or being told, I don't recall) that this was basically tantamount to universal law. And there are FAA regulations that are a lot more silly and a lot less practical than this one. Yet I haven't heard a U.S. carrier state this request in more than a decade. So, was this ever at any point any sort of regulation-driven requirement, or did I just make this up and convince myself of it as a young child in order to confuse my later adult self?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
I hear this all the time on European airlines; do not ever recall it mentioned on a US domestic flight... then again, most US flight attendants seem to pick-and-choose which policies to announce/enforce on a day-by-day basis.
nutwpinut likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
I hear this all the time on European airlines; do not ever recall it mentioned on a US domestic flight...
yep, this was the case earlier this week on both Air Portugal and Norwegian flights.
nutwpinut likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Asian airlines ask for the shades to be up as well, as I heard it this week on CX, TG, and NH.
nutwpinut likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
I hear this all the time on European airlines; do not ever recall it mentioned on a US domestic flight... then again, most US flight attendants seem to pick-and-choose which policies to announce/enforce on a day-by-day basis.
The sales pitch for the Aviator credit card ALWAYS gets announced.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by AC*SE
On any aircraft that doesn't have a viewport in the door (such as the CRJ), the FAs have to use the forward windows to ensure that the emergency exit can safely be deployed.

this is the correct reason
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by asf-07
this is the correct reason
It's one of the correct reasons. The other major reason is so that emergency personnel can assess the situation inside the aircraft in the event of a crash or similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.