Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Argument about baggage allowance at AA First check in counter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Exec Club - Gold Member - yeah baby, Emerald Aisle Executive Elite - Woo, Marriott Silver Executive

I had an interesting argument with a check in agent at DFW recently.

I'm OneWorld Emerald BA-Gold and should get a baggage allowance of 3 32kg checked in bags. I showed up at DFW to fly AA J to LHR then BA to Mumbai. I tend to arrive early when I'm doing these runs fully loaded as I never know what to expect.

There was no line at the AA first counter, I handed over my passport and started putting my bags on the belt. When I got to the third one the agent told me that it would be $188 for the additional bag. I disagreed and explained the OneWorld additional allowance (one extra 32kg bag). He said that was not the case and I would have to pay.

After about 30 minutes of this discussion getting nowhere and his making repeated calls to "revenue" he finally went and got his manager. She arrived got up to speed on the argument and scolded him. She had a crib sheet with her that said I was allowed 4 (?!?) bags at 32kg and told him to check all my bags (including carry on) for me. She also told him off for calling "revenue" on an issue they had no say in.

All in all I'm glad I got there early and I'm pretty happy with the way I was treated. Both the check in agent and I managed to keep cool heads through our disagreement.

As far as the AA J seat compared to BA - can't really comment. I fell asleep before take off and woke up with 50 mins to landing.

Quick aside - we were delayed upon arriving at LHR by the jetway operator. It took about 40 minutes for her to get the jetway into position against the plane. She would make an approach, miss the door by some amount and then back all the way up before trying again. Never seen anything like it before...
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Harry Harry

Quick aside - we were delayed upon arriving at LHR by the jetway operator. It took about 40 minutes for her to get the jetway into position against the plane. She would make an approach, miss the door by some amount and then back all the way up before trying again. Never seen anything like it before...
Was this by chance AA78 departing DFW on 7 Dec? If not, then I experienced a similar jetbridge fiasco for 40 minutes.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I don't see why there was any argument at all.

On the AA website it clearly states that for Executive Platinum / One World Emerald "checked bag fee is waived" for 3 bags.

And of course for BA the Gold benefit is "one extra bag in any class" which in the case of J means 3 bags without fee.

Odd that the DFW check-in guy was so adamant about this.

Last edited by stevehh; Dec 27, 2017 at 10:31 pm
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by stevehh

On the AA website it clearly states that for Executive Platinum / One World Emerald "checked bag fee is waived" for 3 bags.

And of course for BA the Gold benefit is "one extra bag in any class" which in the case of J means 3 bags without fee.

Are check-in agents incentivized in any way to collect baggage fees?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Exec Club - Gold Member - yeah baby, Emerald Aisle Executive Elite - Woo, Marriott Silver Executive
Originally Posted by Greg76248

Was this by chance AA78 departing DFW on 7 Dec? If not, then I experienced a similar jetbridge fiasco for 40 minutes.
Yes. yes it was.

I wondered if anyone else on here was on that flight. That whole thing was beyond ridiculous. I was in 3D - where were you?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevehh

I agree completely - I was baffled by the whole thing.

I showed him the OneWorld website where it states that. I showed him the AA website where it states the same thing - his answer "you could be showing me anything. My system says I must charge you."

I explained that I had completed this and many other flights with exactly this number of bags at this weight many times this year - his response "well all those other people probably weren't doing their job. I am and you have to pay."

If I hadn't allowed extra time for shenanigans such as this I probably would have lost my temper. However when travelling with 20lbs of cheese in a carry on bag it is wise to arrive way early.
CommentatusMaximus likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:24 pm

Yes. yes it was.

I wondered if anyone else on here was on that flight. That whole thing was beyond ridiculous. I was in 3D - where were you?
I was in 2G, so I couldn’t really see what was happening from that side, but it was a new level of incompetence. At least I didn’t have a connection to make.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
As far as the AA J seat compared to BA - can't really comment. I fell asleep before take off and woke up with 50 mins to landing.
I guess most airlines would be quite happy for such a review of their J seats!!!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Interesting that you posted this because I had the same experience at the First check-in counter at O’hare just two weeks ago. Surely the check-in staff has frequent experience with OW Emeralds from outside AAdvantage? I couldn’t believe it was even a problem and the fact that it continued on despite pointing to the website and calling a supervisor over. Ultimately I was asked to produce my BAEC Gold Card (which plainly matched my boarding pass) and then AA waived the charge.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nicksta
Interesting that you posted this because I had the same experience at the First check-in counter at O’hare just two weeks ago. Surely the check-in staff has frequent experience with OW Emeralds from outside AAdvantage? I couldn’t believe it was even a problem and the fact that it continued on despite pointing to the website and calling a supervisor over. Ultimately I was asked to produce my BAEC Gold Card (which plainly matched my boarding pass) and then AA waived the charge.
I'm shocked that AA aren't uniform on this (heavy sarcasm alert) - I offered my Gold card and was told "that doesn't make any difference."

How nice of the to "waive the charge" for you. They must have really been in the holiday spirit.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Greg76248

I was in 2G, so I couldn’t really see what was happening from that side, but it was a new level of incompetence. At least I didn’t have a connection to make.
I had a front row view and it was a truly spectacular display of incompetence. At one point I counted 5 people on the jetbridge offering advice to the lady driving it. She seemed determined to do it her way and didn't seem to understand how to make it move a couple of feet further back along the plane.
I had a connection but it was about 8 hours later - so I went for a nice pub lunch and couple of beers in Egham with some family.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I am sorry but I fail to see how AA refusing to check in a bag has anything to do with BA. Perhaps this thread belongs to the AA forum?
fransknorge likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:45 am

Perhaps there was something wrong with the jetway. You can never know ;-) Give people a chance...
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Limelight1
Perhaps there was something wrong with the jetway. You can never know ;-) Give people a chance...
I have honestly considered that Limelight. I try to be generous in my assumptions when dealing with people.

Watching the body language of the people on the jetbridge was telling though. There was a whole lot of frustration with the jetbridge operator. I could be wrong though and hope to never witness anything like it again.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:19 am

I have honestly considered that Limelight. I try to be generous in my assumptions when dealing with people.

Watching the body language of the people on the jetbridge was telling though. There was a whole lot of frustration with the jetbridge operator. I could be wrong though and hope to never witness anything like it again.
If there is frustration, my first thought would be that there’s something wrong with the jetway. For example one time when the jetway only went up and to the left, and only could be reset by the technician, the first passenger out said with sarcasm “someone here needs a drivers course”.
So please judge positively, just like you would like people to think about your job. //Kind regards a jetway operator of 15 years and 4 airports
trooper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.