American vs. Delta

Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I generally only fly transatlantic with BA and VS, but this year have tried Delta and American, both J.

Food on both was superior than BA and VS. (I haven't sampled new CW on day flights yet)

I'd actually say that based on three flights (2 x DL, 1 x AA) that I preferred American.
Between DL and AA, I think AA food had the edge, certainly presentation wise.
And AA staff were head and shoulders friendlier than DL, who maintained a distance (I don't expect to be called mate by crew but maintaining eye contact when speaking to someone is important.)

I know it's a tiny base to start from, but first impressions and all that...
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for taking the time to contribute to this post. Most of you are way out of my league here as a lot of you seem to fly first class all the time. I'm not allowed to book a first class ticket for work. And i fly international only once a year.

The new Flying Blue isn't going to benefit me much, but at least I have FB Platinum status until March 2019 and I'll stick with it until then. Afterward, we'll see how often and where I fly to, which airline will be the best fit for these destinations, which will give me a status match, and what credit card offers will be available.

@sdsearch: good point about packing techniques, but I often fly with some equipment that isn't allowed in a carry-on. Also, when I fly back to France, it's usually around the holidays and for a longer period of time. So more clothes + gifts for family, and a 12-wine-bottle suitcase (I am French after all).. I really enjoy the 2 free checked bags for these trips.

I'm happy to hear that the "fancy" credit cards allow priority lane and lounge access even when buying tickets with a different card (as I need to use my company’s corporate card – too bad, I’d love the extra points and perks) in case I don’t fly enough in the future to maintain a decent frequent flyer status (which could happen as my company tries hard to decrease its travel budget).
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LPC3369
Thank you all for taking the time to contribute to this post. Most of you are way out of my league here as a lot of you seem to fly first class all the time. I'm not allowed to book a first class ticket for work. And i fly international only once a year.
FT does skew towards the road warriors/people who enjoy traveling. That said, several of us cannot book J/F for work (domestically for many, internationally for some). If you fly enough to make PLT or PPRO then depending on where and when you fly, you probably will too.

I dropped down to GLD for a few months a couple of years ago and still cleared 100% of my HOU-DFW-MAF flights.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:56 am

Delta silver vs AA platinum

Hi!

I will try to make this very quick. If I have an option to get AA platinum (50k) or delta silver (25k) before the end of 2019, which would you choose. The caveat is that I will be living in Atlanta starting in 2019. I don’t really care about having to have one connection to most places considering Atlanta isn’t an AA hub. What would you chose? One other thing, I can get AA platinum in the next 20 days via a status challenge.

Thanks so much for your opinion!
Old May 24, 2018, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Kahn12
Hi!

I will try to make this very quick. If I have an option to get AA platinum (50k) or delta silver (25k) before the end of 2019, which would you choose. The caveat is that I will be living in Atlanta starting in 2019. I don’t really care about having to have one connection to most places considering Atlanta isn’t an AA hub. What would you chose? One other thing, I can get AA platinum in the next 20 days via a status challenge.

Def AA Plat.....your UPG's ex-ATL will definitely be better than DL (non-existent). If you buy an Admirals Club membership, they have some of the best AA staff around too.
Pasqualle7 likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Hi!

Midtier status on AA >>>> than bottom on DL assuming you're OK with spending a good amount of time connecting in CLT or DFW. You can just get the DL credit card and that'll get you pretty much silver status minus the upgrades (which silvers get basically 0 on any ATL-XXX itinerary). If you travel internationally, Plat will get you bus class checkin, lounge, and boarding and extra luggage allowance. You'll probably less than 50% for upgrades but not zero like DL Silver
Adelphos likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:18 am

Hi!

Silver hardly gets you anything more than a Delta Amex card would, so I'd get the AA Platinum. If you end up deciding the connections are annoying once you move, you can probably status match over or at the minimum get the credit card to make the experience of flying a bit more convenient.
lds89 likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
In either scenario, you will be spending a lot of time in coach. Personally, if most of your flying is domestic, I would lean towards Delta, as you get the benefit of way more non-stops, and a generally better and more consistent level of service.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll
3. But domestically, DL runs far better than AA. No comparison IMO. If my flights are about to be cancelled, DL pushes messages to Fly Delta app and rebooks me. AA? Who knows lol.
Well, last weekend one flight I was about to take was delayed which was to incur a missed connection. I got a notification on the app and could rebook on there.

Alas, because I'm picky and wanted alternative flights that weren't on the app I still went to the Flagship Lounge to rebook.
Old May 27, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Great info hear; some of it true across routes, some VERY route/ home airport specific .

I fly LAX-MIA monthly, upgrades are almost nonexistent except for perhaps one or two Concierge Keys per flight (often zero). As a low EQD exp, the only upgrades I get are Mile/copays and even then usually only over summer.

Awards in AA metal suck for domestic J. And especially for TATL connections, better availability TATL but usually zero for the domestic feeder out of LAX, especially in J.

on the other hand, if you are willing to fly in Xmas day, you can get an award LAX-LHR in J on a 77W, in my esperience, the best plane/service that AA has on any route. And upgrades aren’t hard in LAX-SFO (if not prime time) and the E-175 is a joy compared to other regional planes.

credit cards are a great leveler. Given what you value, you can not worry about flying and still get benefits. I got the HHonors Aspire for my one annual stay at a Hilton, and get free breakfast and often a suite. If you look into things, the net cost of these cards are often much lower. For the OP, it seems like the right two cards gives him all he really values without being tied to either airline.

once densification is complete on AA, I will retire (I’m close enough) and switch to Jet Blue.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:08 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
In the last two months I have flown both AA and DL from West Coast to HKG in J.

I am AA EXP and DL DM.

DL has better food, more friendly FA’s and better amenity kits and blankets/pillows.

AA has SUPERIOR lounge offerings (QF First Lounge at LAX and the marvelous CX First lounges. The new Casper mattress pad is nice. Seats on that 77W are a bit better than anytime of DLs offered on the route. AA’s Asian partners treat you very well of you have status, too.

Both offer what appear the be the same pajamas....at least they look and feel like they were made in the same factory but branded differently...
Old May 27, 2018, 1:03 pm

To me, if you are flying to HKG. Experiencing CX's first lounge is worth more than anything you could possibly get on DL. There is simply no comparison.
msv777 likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I moved about 70% of my business from AA to DL+partners late in 2016, around the time the EQD priority for upgrades on AA was announced to be implemented in mid-2017.

What I've found is this:

- DL generally runs a more pleasant operation
- DL has better bulkhead seats in coach, they are half-bulkheads on the 319/320/739 so they have more legroom
- DL flies a lot more CRJ-900s. I happen to like them in F, and can tolerate 5B in coach. But others dislike them.
- DL has more non-bulkhead/exit MCE seats, but they are harder to get into for free unless you are Platinum or Diamond
- If I have to connect in a major United States hub, I pick Detroit.
- If you're fine with Premium Economy to get you to Europe, it's hard to argue with Virgin Atlantic.
- Both airlines do the rolling delay nonsense, but Delta isn't as egregious with it as American.

I still fly American a bit due to schedule as I still live in an American hub for another 18 months. And I haven't flown to Asia on either AA or DL.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:05 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by tphuang
To me, if you are flying to HKG. Experiencing CX's first lounge is worth more than anything you could possibly get on DL. There is simply no comparison.
Embarrasingly enough, the FC Lounges are one of the two main reasons I switched my 100k Miles per year MRing/Vacationing flights to OneWorld last year.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by 355F1
Embarrasingly enough, the FC Lounges are one of the two main reasons I switched my 100k Miles per year MRing/Vacationing flights to OneWorld last year.
not embarrassing at all. Last year, I was getting a massage at the Bridge and the staff was telling me that a family would come to the airport a day early, have their dinner and relaxation at the bridge before it closes at midnight, sleep outside for a few hours and then come back to get their massage, breakfast and drinks before heading out for a flight. Totally worth it if you ask me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.