Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Expedited/priority immigration line included with business?

Old Dec 27, 17, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

I'm booked through RDU-DFW-PEK *edit* (and back) in J cabin (although on a discounted aavacations fare). Does the very fact that I'm in business class cabin get me expedited immigration processing in DFW? We have 3 hours to connect on the way back but want to make sure we don't miss the domestic leg because I'm planning on going to work the next day!

Is there a special line for us, or will just the fact that we're off the plane earlier be our only benefit?

Will we have to collect and re-check our bags? It's been a while since I've flown internationally other than direct RDU-LHR, so I can't remember how international connections work.

Last edited by buckybadger; Dec 27, 17 at 6:18 pm
Old Dec 27, 17, 5:47 pm

Programs: Free Agent - Ex-AA EXP
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
I'm booked through RDU-DFW-PKE (and back) in J cabin (although on a discounted aavacations fare). Does the very fact that I'm in business class cabin get me expedited immigration processing in DFW? We have 3 hours to connect on the way back but want to make sure we don't miss the domestic leg because I'm planning on going to work the next day!

Is there a special line for us, or will just the fact that we're off the plane earlier be our only benefit?

Will we have to collect and re-check our bags? It's been a while since I've flown internationally other than direct RDU-LHR, so I can't remember how international connections work.
Not sure what PKE is. Parkes Australia???

Anyways, no such thing as priority immigration per say. But if you have global entry or use the mobile passport control it's much faster than waiting in the regular line.

You will have to collect and re-check your bag at your port of entry into the US (DFW in this instance).
Old Dec 27, 17, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Sorry! PEK. Beijing.

I'm apparently VERY specifically dyslexic about that one airport code...

I was told that I'd have a priority line in LHR (on a different trip) which is why I asked about DFW.

Have TSA PreCheck, but the nearby airport doesn't do Global Entry, so I don't have that and I know PreCheck doesn't do anything for me internationally.
Old Dec 27, 17, 5:57 pm

Well you'd do immigrations at DFW and your global entry will help there.

I'm just curious, you're saying RDU has no global entry??
Old Dec 27, 17, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK View Post
Well you'd do immigrations at DFW and your global entry will help there.

I'm just curious, you're saying RDU has no global entry??
I'm saying that you can't interview for it. I can't *get* Global Entry at RDU. I'd have to drive to Charlotte or fly to a different airport for the interview.
Old Dec 27, 17, 6:12 pm

I'm saying that you can't interview for it. I can't *get* Global Entry at RDU. I'd have to drive to Charlotte or fly to a different airport for the interview.
Ah gotcha.

Yeah aside from global entry, mobile passport is your best bet. You can download the app ahead of time.
Old Dec 27, 17, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK View Post
Ah gotcha.

Yeah aside from global entry, mobile passport is your best bet. You can download the app ahead of time.
Thanks for the tip. I'm unfamiliar with Mobile Passport but will definitely look into it before our trip!
Old Dec 27, 17, 6:28 pm

Probably you want to just schedule an interview at some point when your travels take you through an airport that does the interviews.

For now, neither Precheck nor premium cabin travel will get you through Customs and Immigration quickly in the US. I do think that Mobile Passport Control now works at DFW, though, so you can go that route and cruise through immigration when you arrive.
Old Dec 27, 17, 6:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
If you don't check baggage there's a special immigration line you can use at DFW. I used it once and it was far far faster than using the Global Entry kiosk then going through the baggage area to turn in my GE slip.
If I remember correctly, I went down what seemed like a back hallway that emptied out near one of the AA check-in desks. From there, you re-clear security for your connecting flight.

We have info about this in the dedicated thread on DFW here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
Old Dec 27, 17, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Thanks for the tip. I'm unfamiliar with Mobile Passport but will definitely look into it before our trip!
Mobile Passport Control (MPC) allows you to use an app to submit your passport info and answer typical CBP questions.

I don't have Global Entry either, but using Mobile Passport at RDU allowed me to breeze through immigration and customs. DFW does have MPC, and I'd imagine it would be a decent alternative to GE until you can get the interview done.
Old Dec 27, 17, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Are the DFW lines bad? I recall they used to be, but since they installed the automated kiosks, there never seems to be a huge wait.. at worst 10 mins.

But to echo everyone else, get GE - it is awesome.
Old Dec 27, 17, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you have time on the return, you may be able to apply for and have your GE interview on the spot as you pass through CBP at DFW. There are staffed locations for this. Won't help you on this trip, but GE will make your life so much easier if you do any sort of international travel on a regular basis.
Old Dec 27, 17, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres, Global Entry
Perhaps a newbie-esque question, is there any benefit to having MPC in addition to GE ? I'm travelling back to US in Jan via DUB (US CBP maintains a huge pre-clearance facility in Dublin, Ireland). I have used my GE status there in the past, only took 10 mins. Purely in the interest of having the knowledge .. Is MPC an alternative to GE ? I assume there are some differences.
Thanks for the replies.

Also just got an OP-up to F on SFO-JFK recently on the A321T. 1*1 in F, 2*2 in J and 3*3 in Y. Service and food were very good.
Old Dec 27, 17, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
DFW can be hit or miss - I've been in the customs hall there with 5000 other people and have also been there with a few hundred. If you are a global entry, just walk to the front of the line. You'll enter the hall and the global entry is waaaaay on the other end of the hall. Takes about five minutes to get through the global entry part. Well worth the $ for pre-check and global entry.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Dec 28, 17, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by IrishBoy View Post
Perhaps a newbie-esque question, is there any benefit to having MPC in addition to GE ? I'm travelling back to US in Jan via DUB (US CBP maintains a huge pre-clearance facility in Dublin, Ireland). I have used my GE status there in the past, only took 10 mins. Purely in the interest of having the knowledge .. Is MPC an alternative to GE ? I assume there are some differences.
Thanks for the replies.

Also just got an OP-up to F on SFO-JFK recently on the A321T. 1*1 in F, 2*2 in J and 3*3 in Y. Service and food were very good.
No. It's one or the other. If you're a citizen or green card holder you can use mpc. But generally GE is faster.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: