Search

DFW/ORD - NRT in biz, AA or JAL?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

DFW/ORD - NRT in biz, AA or JAL?

Best biz class seat/service?

AA dfw -nrt, 772
JAL dfw - nrt, 788 (are these really angled seats?)

AA ord - nrt, 788
JAL ord - nrt, 773-er
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:42 pm

Did the JAL 773 NRT-LAX. The steak off the western menu, very good. It was pretty close to medium rare. Much better than anything AA offers. If JAL had a bedding for the seat, would have to agree with Lucky that it might be the best business seat available, particularly if you get a private window seat, but that's splitting hairs. I'd fly either as far as hard product goes. Bose headphones on AA's better though.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat
No brainer. JAL.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mg0901
Best biz class seat/service?

AA dfw -nrt, 772

AA ord - nrt, 788
JAL ord - nrt, 773-er
If I was choosing out of AUS.....
1: JAL DFW - NRT 788 (unless things have recently changed these are fully lie flat beds)
2: JAL ORD - NRT 777 (plane is louder than the 788 but has the same seats/service/food). If you can do this route in F it would be the top choice by far.
3: AA DFW - NRT 772 (better seat than the 772 out of DFW with the B/E Aerospace Super Diamond. If the 772 version for your trip is the Zodiac seat, I'd fly the 788 out of ORD instead)
4: AA ORD - NRT 788 (worse seat than the updated 772 out of DFW but less noise and more humidity in the cabin. This flight has the Zodiac seat which is the worst of all the options in my opinion).

There are many people who dislike flying JAL due to warm cabins. I've never had an issue personally but that my be a deciding factor for you. JAL food and drink is much better.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mg0901
Just curious, why are you thinking these are angle flats?

JAL does have some 788s with angle-flats, but that's not usually on the DFW route. They do use it on SAN and YVR routes. The 788s on the DFW route should be the lie-flat (B/E Apex suite aka JAL SKY SUITE).
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by caburrito
If JAL had a bedding for the seat, would have to agree with Lucky that it might be the best business seat available, particularly if you get a private window seat, but that's splitting hairs.
Did JAL get rid of the airweave bedding in business class? Unlike first, the FAs don't lay it out for you, but the last couple times I flew, it was absolutely available in the overhead bins.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD
4: AA ORD - NRT 788 (worse seat than the updated 772 out of DFW but less noise and more humidity in the cabin. This flight has the Zodiac seat which is the worst of all the options in my opinion).
If you can get a seat on the AA 788 that does not rock (they do exist), then this seat is excellent. Very comfortable and it has a ton of different reclining positions. It's far better than the seat the CX uses on their 77W, for instance (again, assuming no rocking).

If you get stuck with a seat that rocks, it can be very annoying and makes sleep difficult. I'd agree that a rocking seat on this plane is probably the worst option.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
No brainer. JAL.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Wait. let me try that one more time.

AA J food

JAL J Food

Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I don't necessarily disagree, can be hard to judge from a picture. This is JL F and it was delicious.

Last edited by ijgordon; Dec 28, 2017 at 2:06 pm Reason: Picture size
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:37 am

I <3<3<3 JL's curry rice
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I flew DFW-NRT on JL in October. It was indeed lay-flat.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll
I <3<3<3 JL's curry rice
Yeah, but it looks like gruel; surprisingly similar to your first pic of AA J.
caburrito likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Expect the JAL flight to be about 10F degrees warmer than the AA flight, many Westerners may find the temperature on Japanese flights uncomfortably warm, just a heads up. Particularly in winter, you'll find restaurants, taxis, offices, etc. all to be very warm, culturally the country likes it warmer. The service and product with JAL is better, and the FAs will speak English fine, but they won't be super chatty, they will make up for that with incredible service and politeness. I've had some very fond memories of JAL J and F, but I'm also perfectly fine with the AA product; I do tend to be slightly uncomfortably warm on JAL flights...
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bttc
Did JAL get rid of the airweave bedding in business class? Unlike first, the FAs don't lay it out for you, but the last couple times I flew, it was absolutely available in the overhead bins.
I didn't notice any on the NRT-LAX route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.