Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

466 miles short for 150K and 2 SWU; can I get them anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

466 miles short for 150K and 2 SWU; can I get them anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2017, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by The WalL
I wouldn't ever suggest anyone take BE. That's an inhuman way to travel. Maybe that should be for pets and therapy dogs/cats but not for humans.
If OP only needs 466 EQMs before the end of the year to get the bonus SWUs, any roundtrip on any paid fare including BE will get the job done. PHX-LAX isn’t even long enough to need to get out of your seat and for a half daytrip, a simple laptop briefcase will be sufficient. Can also board late and avoid as much plane time as possible.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Seriously? - it is the same aeroplane and the same seats on the aeroplane
Same seats? I thought you didn't get upgrades or seat selection with that fare basis
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by remedy
I think they give 2 SWUs @ 150 K. @ 149,534 with no more trips until 1/6/18. Think they might give the SWUs to me? Maybe I should call. Too late for a mileage run!
If I were an airline executive tasked for formulating policy on these kinds of waiver requests, I would respond with a firm "No". I would be of the opinion that a person who is that frequent a flyer should be able to figure out for themselves how to pick up some quick miles with a PHX-LAX mileage run. We're not talking about your average clueless Kettle here.

As for flying Economy, good grief, folks, you can do so and survive. If I were that hypothetical airline executive and heard the passenger wants a waiver to the tune of 500 miles, but is unwilling to permit their derriere come in contact with economy class airline upholstery for a hour or so, I would just laugh in their face.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by nrr;29211521AA may very well comp you the 466 miles. [I think that office probably won't be open until Tues. 12/26.
I had a nearly related issue a few years ago: I was flying from ZRH to JFK, when I completed that flt I would have requalified for EXP and receive 4 SWUs--there was C class available on my flt. I called and inquired about borrowing 1 SWU--the CR/CS agent I spoke with "comped" me 1 SWU.^
Actually we are in Columbus, OH, not PHX, but there are probably some quick and dirty flights out of here as well. Unfortunately our flight back to PHXis on 1/6/18 because of a medical appointment or I would simply have. flown back earlier or changed my flight. So as a shot in the dark, I decided to plead my case to the EXP customer service group this morning. Made it two levels up and was told that a written request will be submitted on my behalf. Will keep you "posted" ().
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I came to FT to learn how to make work travel more fun and beneficial for me personally. I did my first very angry MR from LAX- SFO RT since I only needed 100 or so miles to get to PLAT. I called to ask if they would make an exception and was told sorry, no. That's been 3 years ago, lessoned learned. I'm EXP now and just requalified yesterday after a LAX-LHR-JNB RT on BA. For SWU's I would be floored...a written request tho..wow, I am floored!!! Squeaky wheel and all!
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:44 pm

A written request? Yeah, we'll get right back to you on that - you should expect to hear from us by January 15th. And then it will be too late for you to do a MR. Given that an elite flyer receives a minimum of 500 EQM per segment, really, any flight will get you over the hump. No way I'd sit back and wait for a written response - as you may not receive it until after 12/31.

What's the minimum cost of a SWU? I guess it'd be different for everyone, and hopefully you aren't using the SWU for flights from LAX to PHX, but for me? Figure a ORD to LHR or ORD to HKG flight. Randomly picked dates at Google flights for a ORD LHR RT from 4-11 January. Coach is $1483. Business is $5746. Difference? $4263, divided by two for each way? SWU = $2131. Hong Kong? $1682 coach, $7075 for the same dates. $5393, divided by two? SWU = $2696. So let's just call it $2413 on average. Since you're looking at two? $4827.

Flight from Columbus to Chicago this Saturday? $387. https://www.aa.com/booking/passenger...7C%7CGGV%7CGGV.

Basically an 8a-5p kind of thing. Even if you don't think you're going to use those extra two SWUs? Maybe you have a friend of family member who will use 'em. I'd do it in a heartbeat.
jcatman likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:26 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by remedy
So as a shot in the dark, I decided to plead my case to the EXP customer service group this morning. Made it two levels up and was told that a written request will be submitted on my behalf. Will keep you "posted" ().
As others have posted, there is _no_way_ that I'd rely on this procedure for my two SWUs. If you want the SWU's, fly the miles. The cost is small and the payback is large.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
If you flew partner segments, check to see that they all posted. I was about the same amount short of 150K miles but not willing to take another flight. But I happened to notice that a Sri Lanka Air segment on a RTW ticket did not post. I requested the credit online and two weeks later it posted and I passed the magical threshold!
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:37 pm

So, Remedy, how'd it work out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.