Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

466 miles short for 150K and 2 SWU; can I get them anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver

I think they give 2 SWUs @ 150 K. @ 149,534 with no more trips until 1/6/18. Think they might give the SWUs to me? Maybe I should call. Too late for a mileage run!
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by remedy
I think they give 2 SWUs @ 150 K. @ 149,534 with no more trips until 1/6/18. Think they might give the SWUs to me? Maybe I should call. Too late for a mileage run!
No harm in trying but I wouldn't count on it.
How much are 2 more SWUs worth to you? You can always fly PHX-LAX-PHX for $137 tomorrow or $207 mid week.
aztimm and jjmiller69 like this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by remedy
Let us know what they say.

Originally Posted by SFO777
How much are 2 more SWUs worth to you? You can always fly PHX-LAX-PHX for $137 tomorrow or $207 mid week.
+1 Spend a day or two. The weather will be beautiful in So Cal this week and we could use $$.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777
Here, do PHX-LAX on 12/31 and do LAX-PHX on 1/1. The 500 mile min will get you the miles you need, celebrate NY in LA, and then you can have an extra 500 miles to start 2018.

Or do the whole trip before 2018 in Basic economy and you’ll get 250 EQM each way.
dciolli likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:35 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
AA may very well comp you the 466 miles. [I think that office probably won't be open until Tues. 12/26.]
I had a nearly related issue a few years ago: I was flying from ZRH to JFK, when I completed that flt I would have requalified for EXP and receive 4 SWUs--there was C class available on my flt. I called and inquired about borrowing 1 SWU--the CR/CS agent I spoke with "comped" me 1 SWU.^
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
If your flying plans include use for another 2 SWUs, my advice is to go fly for it. I mostly use mine on TPAC, TATL or return to South America. A return upgrade to those destinations for an additional cost of $137 would IMHO be well worth it.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
No offense but I hope AA doesn’t comp you the miles. It degrades the integrity of the benefit. I made a special flight to get over 150 and so should anyone else. If you don’t have the time those are the breaks.
bse118, The WalL, AAExpDFW and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by enviroian
No offense but I hope AA doesn’t comp you the miles. It degrades the integrity of the benefit. I made a special flight to get over 150 and so should anyone else. If you don’t have the time those are the breaks.
Agree on that. Forgot to mention in my post above, that I changed credit for a BA ticketed flight to credit to AA instead, for that very reason. To me a couple of SWUs is worth more.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 1:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Once upon a time a not so long time ago, AA offered “grace” to those just short of achieving status. American West doesn’t do that; they offer to do that for some money. I sincerely doubt you’ll be offered “grace”. I could be wrong and you could get a sympathetic agent, and if you do please buy Lottery tickets.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Typically, AA makes targeted offers for a cash payment for people on the bubble. But, those offers are also for a lot more than the cost of a ticket to make up what is missing. Hard to see AA giving away something it has started selling.

But, it doesn't hurt to ask.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: United 1P, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012

Here, do PHX-LAX on 12/31 and do LAX-PHX on 1/1. The 500 mile min will get you the miles you need, celebrate NY in LA, and then you can have an extra 500 miles to start 2018.

Or do the whole trip before 2018 in Basic economy and you’ll get 250 EQM each way.
I wouldn't ever suggest anyone take BE. That's an inhuman way to travel. Maybe that should be for pets and therapy dogs/cats but not for humans.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
Typically, AA makes targeted offers for a cash payment for people on the bubble. But, those offers are also for a lot more than the cost of a ticket to make up what is missing. Hard to see AA giving away something it has started selling.

But, it doesn't hurt to ask.
To be clear, OP’s issue is making 150K to get SWUs, not EXP status. AFAIK, AA doesn’t have offers to buy up to get EQMs for SWUs.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by The WalL
I wouldn't ever suggest anyone take BE. That's an inhuman way to travel. Maybe that should be for pets and therapy dogs/cats but not for humans.
It's PHX-LAX, not PHX-HNL or PHX-LHR. @:-)
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Seriously? - it is the same aeroplane and the same seats on the aeroplane
Old Dec 25, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond

And the award for the most absurd post of the week goes to...

We're talking about an elite member travelling on a shorthaul flight. BE is only slightly worse than a regular coach fate in this case....and even if's not an elite, it's still the same coach seats that people were sitting in before the fares were labeled as BE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.