Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Bag Fees for AS Itinerary with AA Codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bag Fees for AS Itinerary with AA Codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eyechip
As you said and I did. I am awaiting a response from them as well. My beef is not with anyone but the system. The two of them need to get together and figure this out as it is both deceptive and misleading as to what expectations are. I could give a hoot about $30.00. But I do care that many people in the cumulative are being taken advantage of with the idea that a codeshare booked on the AA website will offer some semblance of similar service. At least in the area of a damn checked bag. I am not an idiot. I fly 200K a year around the world and have for decades. And even I was under the impression that this is what one could expect. I also filed a complaint with the DOT and we will see if that has any bearing. The bottom line is that while I am pissed that airlines get away with this I am even more insulted and pissed at the response I got from American as an Exec Plat. I am supposed to actually have faith in a system that can't even spell it's codeshare airline's name correctly?
Sorry but I djsagree with you. IMO as long as the metal being flown is apart of the Alliance then Elite benefits should carry forward if they arent then unless you are an Elite with the metal being flown youre out of luck. In the cases with Alaska, Alaska was 100% in the right. If anyone owes you it may AA for having lousy info

Ive ran across this on my TATL/TPAC flights where Im flying even with the same Alliance but there are different limits. If I fly with the carrier I have the status with I get 2 bags @ 70 lbs if its an Alliance partner then 2 bags @ 50 lbs even thou the TATL part will be on my home carrier that gave me 70 lbs on my Outbound

Im offered all the time AS non-stop JFK-LAX and I dont bite since I usually need to check 2 bags and Im not willing to pay for them(Saver award)

Recently I had a flight go MX and CXed, they wanted to put me on another carrier non-stop my 2 bags would be charged and since there were > 50 lbs it would have been a few hundred so I waited 12 hrs for the next flight and put in for EU261 and got the 600 Euro

As for what AA has printed I also understood that to mean if the SEA-YVR flight is on AA then its $0.00 , its sort of book say a BOS-NY-PEK routing with 2 days in NY where you expect to get the Visa, no one will allow you to board the BOS-NY flight, you can buy 2 didfferent tkts and do it but it cant be done on 1 tkt as you Must have all needed Visas and papers before flying the 1st segment
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: On the cusp of elite level with Pan Am and Sabena.
Originally Posted by craz
Sorry but I djsagree with you. IMO as long as the metal being flown is apart of the Alliance then Elite benefits should carry forward if they arent then unless you are an Elite with the metal being flown youre out of luck. In the cases with Alaska, Alaska was 100% in the right. If anyone owes you it may AA for having lousy info

Ive ran across this on my TATL/TPAC flights where Im flying even with the same Alliance but there are different limits. If I fly with the carrier I have the status with I get 2 bags @ 70 lbs if its an Alliance partner then 2 bags @ 50 lbs even thou the TATL part will be on my home carrier that gave me 70 lbs on my Outbound

Im offered all the time AS non-stop JFK-LAX and I dont bite since I usually need to check 2 bags and Im not willing to pay for them(Saver award)

Recently I had a flight go MX and CXed, they wanted to put me on another carrier non-stop my 2 bags would be charged and since there were > 50 lbs it would have been a few hundred so I waited 12 hrs for the next flight and put in for EU261 and got the 600 Euro

As for what AA has printed I also understood that to mean if the SEA-YVR flight is on AA then its $0.00 , its sort of book say a BOS-NY-PEK routing with 2 days in NY where you expect to get the Visa, no one will allow you to board the BOS-NY flight, you can buy 2 didfferent tkts and do it but it cant be done on 1 tkt as you Must have all needed Visas and papers before flying the 1st segment
<redacted> I can't understand your rationale or point.

This was a ticket booked on AA.com. On a flight marketed by AA as a codeshare. Really, this is deceptive, and as a more than regular flyer who is Exec Plat and was still taken by this scheme I am sure many more with less experience are as well. If you are going to codeshare than there need to be arrangements that cross over to the customer and do not just benefit the airline in a bait and switch manner. Not buying it or any of you who think this is status quo and acceptable. And if you do you are all clearly brainwashed to think that this is how the mechanics of business should be.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 4, 2019 at 7:00 pm Reason: Redacted rudeness
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:00 pm

<redacted by moderator> As such, really, I can't understand your rationale or point.

This was a ticket booked on AA.com. On a flight marketed by AA as a codeshare. Really, this is deceptive, and as a more than regular flyer who is Exec Plat and was still taken by this scheme I am sure many more with less experience are as well. If you are going to codeshare than there need to be arrangements that cross over to the customer and do not just benefit the airline in a bait and switch manner. Not buying it or any of you who think this is status quo and acceptable. And if you do you are all clearly brainwashed to think that this is how the mechanics of business should be.
<response to deleted portion of post>
But AA doesn't fly SEA YVR. Of course, the computer isn't smart enough to know that. (I also doubt in recent history AA has flown SEA YVR)
As such, it is very confusing. And eyechip's point is whether the carrier selling a ticket has any responsibility, and I would think they do have responsibility.

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 4, 2019 at 8:27 pm Reason: Redactions by moderator
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
<redacted>

Well, Alaska acted in accordance with the industry norm. But the OP's eticket receipt says the charge should be USD0.00. That is an open and shut case: in that case, the bag fee must by law (as well as common decency) be USD0.00.

<redacted >

I don't entirely disagree with the misleading nature of codeshares in many ways. I think the practice is much better now that the DOT has mandated that checked bag fees be consistent across a ticket. But status-based checked bag fee waivers have always been applied by the operating carrier you check in with. Alaska and AA no longer even have reciprocal elite status recognition (and most non-alliance codeshare partners of AA like Etihad, El Al, etc never did), so recognizing status benefits at check in isn't even straightforward technically, let alone expecting codeshare partners to train their staff on the nuances of each airline's rules. The ticketed baggage allowance is therefore what is expected to apply, and for an AA intra-North America ticket, the ticketed baggage allowance is zero regardless of elite status. It's nice that AA now by policy applies the waiver for elites on all AA-marketed itineraries.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 4, 2019 at 7:04 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:35 pm
Suspended

<redacted>

Point is very simple; a person is governed by the rules of the metal they will be flying on. Since AS isnt a OW member whatever benefits youd get for flying on OW you wont when flying on AS . Who issues the tkt isnt important, all that is important is the metal youre flying on and is it a member in this case of OW, and AS isnt.

I can list numerous times that UA offers me a connection on a LX codeshare as long as Im connecting immediately my 70 lbs per bag x 2 goes thru, if I would overnight and recheckin the next day then since that LX flight isnt LX metal Id be entitled to 0 free bags, if it was LX metal then 2 bags @ 50, either way if the bags were 70 lbs Id be paying alot to get them on board. Now at times I was offered that LX codeshare as the 1st flight on my return connecting to UA, Id be entitled to 0 free bags even thou Im entitled to 2 @ 70 on UA.

Did you check in for the flight at a AA counter or AS counter, I bet it was AS, why not AA after all it was an AA issued tkt and codeshare you were flying on.

Again AA messed up by showing what its T&Cs are when flying on its metal and didnt mention anything when flying on non-AA metal. AS IMO was correct in charging for any bags as you didnt have anything with AS that would have waived the fee/s

Personally I always call the carrier whose metal I will be to make sure what Im entitled to and what Im not and as I said almost 100% of the time if the metal Im gonna fly isnt a member of The Alliance of the issuing carrier then any status and benefits I get from the issuing carrier are MOOT.

This is the case with Irrops as well and being FIMed to a carrier where I dont have any status eg AA CXs its flight and Im offered a DL flight, DL will charge me when I checkin my bags, unless AA has already taken them and moves them on its own without returning them to me.

Im not blaming you I cant tell you how many times I find people trying to check in at AA when they are flying on a different metal, and say OK but look its a AA flight #. Heck @ JFK there are signs all over the check-in area that if you are flying on FlightsX XXX-XXXX you need to proceed to Term 7

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 4, 2019 at 7:06 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashill

Well, Alaska acted in accordance with the industry norm. But the OP's eticket receipt says the charge should be USD0.00. That is an open and shut case: in that case, the bag fee must by law (as well as common decency) be USD0.00.
I agree and thats why I said IMO AA is at fault and that the OP needs to go after AA for the refund.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:57 pm

Look, I am going to say this again. This is NOT a situation of a twice a year flyer going to the American counter to check in for a code share operated by Alaska. I knew full well that this was operated by Alaska and they will handle the check-in. I have been Exec Plat and butt in seats for many decades...I am very familiar with the game...but even I got swindled by this checked bag shell game. I did NOT buy a ticket at Alaska.com and later expect them to treat me like an Exec Plat because SOME of their flights codeshare. I bought a ticket that showed an American flight number (#6997) AT AA.com AS an Exec Plat and whose terms showed "bag $0.00) - and while I did not expect an upgrade, etc, (nor do I expect that with official OW carriers which Alaska is not) - I would certainly expect that the checked bag would be handled the same given the AA flight number and ticketing. I also did this knowing I had a choice for the exact same time with Delta and, given additional status with them, would not have paid for a bag. But I chose American, paid a full fare of $350.00 for a 30 minute one way flight booked on their site, ticketed by them, even though it was operated by Alaska. This is no different than Bonvoy properties that decide the rules and benefits that should be offered to elites don't apply to their property because, well, they decided it. It's a bait and switch. It's wrong. Both carriers are to blame. What has triggered me the most with this are that thousands of passengers must also be lured in to this each year expecting that the flight is ticketed as American so the bags should be free given some sort of elite status. That this has been going on for years given the thread here. As well, that people just sit back and accept it given that some of the responses here are "I should have known better." And, more importantly, that AA's response to an Exec Plat was some offshore generated canned bull in which they can't even get the actual name of their partner airline correct ("Alaskan").

It's a deceptive trade practice at best. And DOT should make the airlines properly disclose what passengers should and should not expect at the time of booking a codeshare. Or, in the case of this flight, not allow AA.com to sell a one way flight with an American flight number that does not have an originating connecting flight on American (where, given this scenario, my bag on the same flight would not have been charged by Alaska).

Bottom line is that this is a class action lawsuit waiting to happen. Hopefully someone will get woke and take it on given the years of this happening and the millions probably raked in on both fronts.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:19 pm

To further the idea of this being a shell game that most don't get...the blog Upgraded Points did a full article in April on checked bag policies for Alaska. On there she listed that AA elites booked on AA codeshare flights with Alaska are exempt from bag fees. I brought to her attention my situation and she was surprised and changed her article. So, that is an Exec Plat with decades of flying experience AND a well known blogger who is an expert with all things Alaska that were deceived in this. We are not talking Granny Mabel from Iowa flying to see her grandchildren that was confused.

Get woke.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:54 am
Suspended

To further the idea of this being a shell game that most don't get...the blog Upgraded Points did a full article in April on checked bag policies for Alaska. On there she listed that AA elites booked on AA codeshare flights with Alaska are exempt from bag fees. I brought to her attention my situation and she was surprised and changed her article. So, that is an Exec Plat with decades of flying experience AND a well known blogger who is an expert with all things Alaska that were deceived in this. We are not talking Granny Mabel from Iowa flying to see her grandchildren that was confused.

Get woke.
FWIW your last 2 posts I fully understood before made my 1st post!

The only difference had been it me was I would have confirmed with AS what if any fees Id pay for my bag/s before my cancellation period ended. I did this when my Itin is not only on 1 carrier, now I assume that if my 1st segment is not the carrier I have status with then bags are $$$ and if its a partner member of *A that its 50 lbs max and not UAs 70, and if OW then its 50 lbs If its a codeshare flight and not my status carriers metal then all bets are off if its not an alliance member and I expected ZILCH

I just dont think that AS has to go by what AA or any other carrier has written down, just as AA doesnt have to go by what AS has written down, I wouldnt expect AS to allow me to take 2 bags @ 70 lbs if its a UA codeshared flight since thats what UA allows me , just as LX wouldnt and they are a *A partner, LXs max is 50 @ 2

Maybe you just cant understand my English, you have the right to disagree with me but I still feel its AA that messed up either for not clearly stating that if its not AA metal you get zilch or for implying that your bags are free when they knew it wasnt

AS did nothing wrong unless they agreed with AA that they would treat AA code-shares as if its AA metal, which I highly doubt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.