Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Premium Economy & Best PE Seat, Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA has 20 Boeing 777-323ER / 77W aircraft in the fleet.

The final configuration includes:

8 First Class seats
52 Business Class
28 Rockwell Collins MiQ Premium Economy seats
. . . . (The 77W has received the same Premium Economy Seat as is in the 787-9 and other refitted widebodies.)
28 Main Cabin Extra (in 10 across configuration, all bulkheads or exit rows)
188 Main Cabin / Economy / Coach

All Rockwell Collins MiQ Premium Economy seats, in a 2-4-2 configuration, offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. The front (bulkhead) seats offer foot rest bars that deploy from the seat; other seats have footpegs under the seat in front of you.

Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

See post #1 for seat chart and illustration
Print Wikipost

AA 777-300ER / 77W Premium Economy & Best PE Seat, Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Thanks Teemflyer... understood about complimentary Beer and Wine and from previous flights remember the quality.

appreciate the feedback!

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
On international flights the MCE beer and wine benefit is not in effect. Everyone in Y gets it (not of great quality, but still). However, being as far back as you are, you will have a lot of noise and traffic with the galley and lavs being very near by. LHR-DFW is a surprisingly long flight, and if you enjoy legroom, you might consider splurging on MCE. Even better in PE.. totally different experience, albeit not business, but very respectable for a day time flight.

Availability of buy-ups to PE is clearly defined by availability. If you can score it for $300 or less, definitely worth it IMHO.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by slpybear
Hello all, a lowly GLD here traveling with MrsSlpybear next May to Europe on an O fare in Y for a decent price. Coming home on a daytime LHR-DFW AA777-300ER. Looking at the seat selection I chose 41A,C so we can have two seats alone and it looks like with the "tapering" of the plan there is a nice bit of extra space in the Aisle behind 40C. I can live with that but request some opinions for those that travel often on this aircraft.

1.) Is MCE 20J,L worth an extra $112 a seat? I've used MCE often domestically, but wonder if the benefits are worth it here... Spirits in addition to the already complimentary wine and beer and a plus of extra legroom. The only good MCE options are the 20J,L mentioned.

2.) Any opinions/experience in outboard seats for rows 40-42 in Y?

3.) and a question... Will buying up to PE be offered at any point? Was curious because I see it mentioned occasionally here. If so, was curious if it is done via APP before airport or just at Airport Kiosk.

Now, on to Y selection in the 777-200! Then, codeshares on BA to and from MUC and EDI!
41ac are very good (not 40 or 42, or 43), I have done them on the 12-hour back from HKG and they were fine. The duos on row 20 are amazing, and the best seats in MCE, but it is marginal if they are worth it at this cost, it is a toss up, it is up to you. Another option is to wait for check in and put seat alerts on EF, so you may grab an MCE duo for free. Or pay for them now (especially if you need a bit more comfort, health wise). I will personally not pay for PE on a day flight like this, even if it is 10 hours, unless it was less than $200/person.

The good thing I believe, if not mistaken, is that if you end up upgrading to PE, they may refund your MCE charges (double check it).

Last edited by nk15; Sep 24, 2019 at 12:55 pm
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
On international flights the MCE beer and wine benefit is not in effect. Everyone in Y gets it (not of great quality, but still). However, being as far back as you are, you will have a lot of noise and traffic with the galley and lavs being very near by. LHR-DFW is a surprisingly long flight, and if you enjoy legroom, you might consider splurging on MCE. Even better in PE.. totally different experience, albeit not business, but very respectable for a day time flight.

Availability of buy-ups to PE is clearly defined by availability. If you can score it for $300 or less, definitely worth it IMHO.
I asked about the MCE liquor benefit on longhauls in another thread and was told it is honored.

What is the official policy?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Sorry if I worded my reply in a confusing manner. No difference in UG order based on P vs. W. Still based on rolling EQD for all UG requests. What I was trying to convey that most of the time W (full fare PE) is going to cost you way more than P (discount PE), but it seems that you have found a unicorn where the difference is negligible, and actually favors you when using miles+co-pay. Wouldn't expect that too often.
I had the same scenario on a LAX-LHR flight back in June. The W fare was only $100 more than the P fare. As I was going to submit a miles + copay request, I was tempted to upfare to the W fare to save on the copay and also save some miles, but a quick look on EF showed that my upgrade chances were abysmal, so I kept with the P fare. (We ended up around 10th on the list with only #1 clearing, so definitely a good call on that one on my part.)
nk15 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
I had the same scenario on a LAX-LHR flight back in June. The W fare was only $100 more than the P fare. As I was going to submit a miles + copay request, I was tempted to upfare to the W fare to save on the copay and also save some miles, but a quick look on EF showed that my upgrade chances were abysmal, so I kept with the P fare. (We ended up around 10th on the list with only #1 clearing, so definitely a good call on that one on my part.)
I was #1 on a waitlist once, but the GA started processing from the middle, I confronted them and they said that they are processing current PE customers first. So, I think they may be using this hidden rule against the published priority criteria. It may make sense for them because it will free up the PE seats for sale or gate upgrades. In your case it was probably a good call, but you may have also been upgraded first, despite being 10th on the list. In retrospect you were definetely lucky as the trip is over and you saved your miles and cash, lol.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by nk15
I was #1 on a waitlist once, but the GA started processing from the middle, I confronted them and they said that they are processing current PE customers first. So, I think they may be using this hidden rule against the published priority criteria. It may make sense for them because it will free up the PE seats for sale or gate upgrades. In your case it was probably a good call, but you may have also been upgraded first, despite being 10th on the list. In retrospect you were definetely lucky as the trip is over and you saved your miles and cash, lol.
I was 10th on the list and my wife was 11th. That may have been an issue if they only cleared #10 on the list! We both cleared at T-48 on the return flight, so we did spend a little cash and some miles on that trip in the end.

I did did find a double unicorn though on our LAX-LHR-LAX flights for next Easter in that both flights had C space showing at the time of booking. No need to book PE in case the upgrades didn’t clear. Just booked into Economy and let the miles + copays do the rest. Even the call agent was surprised to see C space that far out (both flights were C7).
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Flew in PE LAX/MIA (sold as MCE) first time as my upgrade didn't clear (usually clear on that route no problem, yesterday number 16 out of 36). I find those little peddles which I'm assuming are a footrest strange and not all that comfortable. The seat felt less comfortable than the PE on the 772.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
This comment made me want to offer another data point. I just finished a PE trip on the 773 from LHR-JFK in row 16. There was a sealed, half-liter bottle of water tucked away in the corner of the seat where the power point and the headphone jack are located.

I would not have noticed this bottle had the flight attendant in the jump seat across from me not pointed it out. So FYI for others, there is a bottle of water provided now, just know where to look for it. It will be obvious for folks trying to plug in a headphone or charge anything, but wasn't immediately apparent to someone like me who planned to just get some sleep after a long weekend. Granted this was my first time on AA's proper PE.

In addition, I did find the dining a step up from AA's usual transatlantic economy fare. A plated starter and separate hot entree afterwards seemed closer to AA's J-standard of dining service. I also hugely appreciate the PE snack salad versus the doughy pizza roll thing they serve in Y as the pre-landing meal.

Originally Posted by Nuhusky
At at no point was I given a bottle of water. I only have 1 flight on aa as a data point but anytime I’ve flown internationally on any other carrier in premium economy I’ve gotten a bottle of water
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Unashamed plug to solicit other replies. TIA!

Originally Posted by slpybear
Hello all, a lowly GLD here traveling with MrsSlpybear next May to Europe on an O fare in Y for a decent price. Coming home on a daytime LHR-DFW AA777-300ER. Looking at the seat selection I chose 41A,C so we can have two seats alone and it looks like with the "tapering" of the plan there is a nice bit of extra space in the Aisle behind 40C. I can live with that but request some opinions for those that travel often on this aircraft.

1.) Is MCE 20J,L worth an extra $112 a seat? I've used MCE often domestically, but wonder if the benefits are worth it here... Spirits in addition to the already complimentary wine and beer and a plus of extra legroom. The only good MCE options are the 20J,L mentioned.

2.) Any opinions/experience in outboard seats for rows 40-42 in Y?

3.) and a question... Will buying up to PE be offered at any point? Was curious because I see it mentioned occasionally here. If so, was curious if it is done via APP before airport or just at Airport Kiosk.

Now, on to Y selection in the 777-200! Then, codeshares on BA to and from MUC and EDI!
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:36 am

Smile AA PE Bulkhead IFE

Just curious is the pull up IFE screen in the bulkhead the same size as the setback screens PE? thanks
Old Mar 6, 2023, 6:55 pm

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
777-300ER Premium economy last row recline

Hi guys,
I am flying from DFW to LHR via 777-300ER and I am in the last row of premium economy cabin (18A) and I was wondering if this particular seat has the very same level of recline as rows 16&17?
Thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 10:07 am

777-300ER Prem Econ- LAX-LHR

Question for everyone, I have only flown this flight in Business so I am not familiar with PE. Hopefully will get the mile upgrade, but not showing availability on any of the AA flights for even the week before, so not holding my breathe.

I am currently in 19D with the two middle seats open. But 16C just opened up and I am wondering if the bulkhead/exit is a better option? I have a love hate relationship with bulkead, but I am 6'4 and if there is extra room, that might help.

Anyone have any insight? Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2023, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Im not a fan of 16 on the 77W - no window. I know that doesn't answer your question on legroom which should be limitless...

The TV screens are also mounted on a metal arm that folds into the arm rest area. As opposed to 19 where it will be mounted into the seat in front of you.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Here's a pretty good image of what to expect

enviroian and Flyerh2 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Im not a fan of 16 on the 77W - no window. I know that doesn't answer your question on legroom which should be limitless...

The TV screens are also mounted on a metal arm that folds into the arm rest area. As opposed to 19 where it will be mounted into the seat in front of you.

How is the legroom in normal PE? It would be the aisle in 16. I prefer the aisle being taller. Thanks for the insight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.