Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Premium Economy & Best PE Seat, Service

Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA has 20 Boeing 777-323ER / 77W aircraft in the fleet.

The final configuration includes:

8 First Class seats
52 Business Class
28 Rockwell Collins MiQ Premium Economy seats
. . . . (The 77W has received the same Premium Economy Seat as is in the 787-9 and other refitted widebodies.)
28 Main Cabin Extra (in 10 across configuration, all bulkheads or exit rows)
188 Main Cabin / Economy / Coach

All Rockwell Collins MiQ Premium Economy seats, in a 2-4-2 configuration, offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. The front (bulkhead) seats offer foot rest bars that deploy from the seat; other seats have footpegs under the seat in front of you.

Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

See post #1 for seat chart and illustration
Print Wikipost

AA 777-300ER / 77W Premium Economy & Best PE Seat, Service

Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
What route / flight were you on?

Thx for sharing your experience!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by laagima
There is a snack bar but it is common with Y (unlike Cathay PE). There were some Lay's kettle chips, cookies, berry clusters, rice crackers, juice and water set up in the galley on my last trip HKG-LAX.

I just completed a PE flight on CX (HKG-SFO) and the snacks were "common" Y material. Which flight were you on when the CX PE snacks weren't as such?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
And if a Bose headset goes missing, which happens often enough, then everyone has to suffer through several announcements asking for the headset back and no one is allowed to leave the aircraft until the rogue headset has been found...

I don't understand the madness of this matter. On a recent AA flight (LAX-HKG), a pair went missing and those FA were out on patrol even while we were leaving the plane. However, on a more recent flight (SFO-HKG), I noticed that the headset were exactly the same and was prepared for the FA to collect then as they do on AA. And the FA never collected them. Nothing happened at all. Impressive!!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Its my understanding that the flight attendants are docked for the cost of the headphones if they go missing. That creates a far from premium experience. I do like the quality of the Bose headsets but its almost not worth the retrieval experience to have them. The headsets in PE look nice but they aren't. The sound quality is poor an zero noise cancelling .
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I just completed a PE flight on CX (HKG-SFO) and the snacks were "common" Y material. Which flight were you on when the CX PE snacks weren't as such?
I flew CX PE LAX-HKG-LAX last Fall. The snacks were definitely different from common Y snacks - packaged nuts, chocolates, popcorn, etc. As I picked through the offerings, the flight attendant walked up and asked me what I would like to drink. He offered coffee from the cappuccino machine and brought me a double espresso to my seat.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
I don’t understand how is it difficult to retrieve some headsets. Do they not pick them up the same way they distribute them? It’s not likely that when you handed them out here we’re more people than when you pick them up.

Last edited by living near shamu; Jul 15, 2018 at 3:33 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: LH HON
I flew CX PE LAX-HKG-LAX last Fall. The snacks were definitely different from common Y snacks - packaged nuts, chocolates, popcorn, etc. As I picked through the offerings, the flight attendant walked up and asked me what I would like to drink. He offered coffee from the cappuccino machine and brought me a double espresso to my seat.
Lucky you, because it's not SOP.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by MorganB
The headsets in PE look nice but they aren't. The sound quality is poor an zero noise cancelling .
The headseats in PE are adequate. They allow watching a movie with adequate volume (loud if you want). That's all they are for.
I don't think that my enjoying of the movies was significantly decreased for not having Bose.
They are better than the earbuds in regular economy, IMO.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I thought the headsets had a bit of an odd shape and did not fit me so well. As it was, I didnt watch any movies. JFK-LHR last week was absurdly short - 6:15 flying time and about 20 minutes of that flying time was our need to circle south of London because of the 6:00 am landing curfew.

As I've said elsewhere, PE is domestic first class in a widebody jet. Meals are basically domestic F class meals, seat is basically a domestic F seat (with the added foot rests). Notables are the amenities kit and rather nice blanket and pillow.

I flew to Europe in PE and back in MCE Y. I would much rather fly in PE. FWIW, OUR PE cabin was maybe 60% full. Business and first were 100% full and coach appeared 95% full.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
FWIW, OUR PE cabin was maybe 60% full. Business and first were 100% full and coach appeared 95% full.
I imagine PE will become more full when award space becomes a possibility. This will probably degrade service levels.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by ralphs
I imagine PE will become more full when award space becomes a possibility. This will probably degrade service levels.
I was recently on PE DFW-EZE (772 not 77W) and PE was completely full (100%) both outbound and return.

Without solid comprehensive data (not anectodal experience like mine or the other poster's on FT) it is impossible, from here, to assess how well PE is currently doing.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by ralphs
This will probably degrade service levels.
You mean service levels can reach negative values?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by snic
You mean service levels can reach negative values?
I can't speak for anybody else, but my PE experience was damned good. The FAs were on the ball, decent quality food, meals served promptly, and there was regular beverage service. I honestly don't know what I would have improved upon for this given class of service. It certainly wasn't the worst 7.5 hours I've spent in the air, by a longshot.

To be honest, for all the slagging we read about the big-3 U.S. carriers' horrible service, any intra-Europe flights I've taken on BA have been much worse than UA and AA domestically, which I consider a fair comparison. I've had great and OK flights on AA and UA, but I can't think of a bad one, other than a red-eye coming home from SFO, stuffed into a coach seat next to a monstrously large and very chatty Russian who had shoulders that ate up half my space. Serves me right for not springing for MCE on that leg.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
My recent experience was not so wonderful. The FA was curt to the point of being impolite, and came through the cabin to offer drinks, water or anything other than the meals exactly 0 times during the 10 hour flight. Although I enjoyed PE far more than I thought I would, it certainly wasn't because of the "service".
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:39 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I fly round-trip to London every month. Most of the time it's on BA PE. The most recent trip was the first time AA offered PE on my route, so I decided to give AA a try.

AA's PE is FAR better than BA's PE. Better seat, better blanket & pillow, better service, better food, FAR better IFE.

BA still holds a few advantages over AA:
- More non-stop options from more cities
- You usually get a lot more EQDs by flying BA PE booked on BA

In the future, I'm probably gonna suffer on the BA nonstop, rather than take the AA connection. AA is a far better product, but still prefer non-stop sub-par (BA) product to a better product with a connection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.