Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Premium Economy & Best PE Seat, Service

Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA has 20 Boeing 777-323ER / 77W aircraft in the fleet.

The final configuration includes:

8 First Class seats
52 Business Class
28 Rockwell Collins MiQ Premium Economy seats
. . . . (The 77W has received the same Premium Economy Seat as is in the 787-9 and other refitted widebodies.)
28 Main Cabin Extra (in 10 across configuration, all bulkheads or exit rows)
188 Main Cabin / Economy / Coach

All Rockwell Collins MiQ Premium Economy seats, in a 2-4-2 configuration, offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. The front (bulkhead) seats offer foot rest bars that deploy from the seat; other seats have footpegs under the seat in front of you.

Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

See post #1 for seat chart and illustration
Print Wikipost

AA 777-300ER / 77W Premium Economy & Best PE Seat, Service

Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by Enhancements
For what it's worth, I don't think I'd miss the old MCE cabin that much.
The lack of padding and shockingly shallow seat pan makes this design a real pain after 4-5 hours. A domestic seat at best.
The access to seats with 4+ inches of extra legroom for 8-16 hour flights at no differential cost was a huge perk for Platinum elites (and higher) flying on these aircraft. With the reduction in the number of these seats and movement of them towards the rear of the aircraft, this is unfortunate.
adunker likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Originally Posted by asf-07
The access to seats with 4+ inches of extra legroom for 8-16 hour flights at no differential cost was a huge perk for Platinum elites (and higher) flying on these aircraft
If I'm stuck on AA, I'd consider buying up to Premium. Let's hope the pricing is closer to BA's PE than Asian carriers.

If I'm not loyal to AA/OW... I'd consider other carriers. I fly TPAC 7-8 trips a year in Y and the 3-4-3 design on MU and CI are actually much more conducive to sleeping because of the seat pan, lumbar support and recline. And that's before CX and JL (higher priced alternatives) coming into play.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Posted this on VFTW as well, but I don't get AA's strategy here. They have to recognize that PE, E+ and Y are all different. UA has 102 E+ on their 77W. If you take out the four rows of E+ where PE goes they still manage to have 62 E+ seats. How AA thinks they will win over frequent fliers in Y on these routes is beyond me.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: LH HON
HKG-LAX/HKG-DFW are usually full to the brim. They probably generate more revenue out of PEY, than a few FF deciding to drop this route entirely. What's the alternative? CX eco?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Ouch is all I can say..
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
I'm concerned about the 10-across seating more than anything else.

Which airlines next year will still be flying 9-across 777s on the JFK/EWR-LHR route? Trying to plan a February trip but don't want to choose AA if I get bumped out of MCE into nasty 10-abreast Economy.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by asf-07
no one knows. no one has flown a revenue flight with this config yet.
Ah, ok. I didn't realize they were re-configuring the rows at the rear of the plane. I thought this seats were already there, and were simply being re-branded as MCE.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by salut0
I'm concerned about the 10-across seating more than anything else.

Which airlines next year will still be flying 9-across 777s on the JFK/EWR-LHR route? Trying to plan a February trip but don't want to choose AA if I get bumped out of MCE into nasty 10-abreast Economy.
MCE is "nasty 10 abreast at economy." (With more legroom)

Anyway, if you're not into 10 abreast 777s, try BA (777, 747), DL (767), VS (A330, A340) or UA (757, 767) with a variety of equipment, none of them 10 abreast 777s.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Flying HKG-LAX next Jan and my Row 19 seat was changed too 31 D. I was able to change it back but the map is still showing 9 across. Would be nice if it was one of the planes with the new PEY seats
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:04 pm

July 2018 - PEY in 77W can be purchased on AA.com

I was trying to navigate the next time I am flying AA to HKG. It looks like we can do that in July. However, looking at the price point, there is absolutely no way I am paying that price for PEY in AA 77W. The seats are awful!

It looks like the Partner Premiums through TATL are way more attractive now, considering they are just a little more expensive than the AA PEY anyway.

What a ripoff. Just like the stupid DL PEY fares.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
N721AN is back at DFW as of last night.

Those booking in Y can take advantage of the complimentary W seats on this frame for a while.

Those sitting in Y who cannot select a W seat... sorry. That's rough.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by econometrics
N721AN is back at DFW as of last night.

Those booking in Y can take advantage of the complimentary W seats on this frame for a while.

Those sitting in Y who cannot select a W seat... sorry. That's rough.
Curious to why booking on this frame makes any difference in getting complimentary W seats, vs. other completed planes? I would think it would be assigned to routes that offer PE fares, just likes to other converted planes.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Curious to why booking on this frame makes any difference in getting complimentary W seats, vs. other completed planes? I would think it would be assigned to routes that offer PE fares, just likes to other converted planes.
it would be a revenue mgmt nightmare with only 1 plane converted, a route like DFW-HKG would only offer it on random days where that plane is flying that route, and then when a plane goes mechanical or a tail swap happens, then that throws everything off. For rev mgmt to even offer it on random days, they’d have to know which day the plane will show up on which route, and usually tail numbers are only assigned a few days out and are subject to last minute adjustments. Better to just give it away as a MCE seat in the interim, and hey, it’s not bad from a marketing standpoint, soft launch the thing and let some lucky folks experience it. Also, 77W’s fly 77W specific routes due to F demand.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
I am sad about the loss of the MCE mini cabin, as the 9 across was actually comfortable to me. That said, we already knew that it was going away.

I feel like this is really the best way that the retrofit could go, as there is no reduction in the J or F cabins which means that this remains a very premium heavy aircraft and our SWUs should still have a chance of clearing.

The info on MCE seating being all exit row or bulkhead doesn't appear to be correct. AA.com has rows 20, 31, 32, and 33-35DEGH listed as MCE, with 32 and 34-35DEGH not being bulkhead/exit row.
Rows 20 and 21 are listed as only being eight across which is a little odd.

Here is the full seat map, including which seats are blocked:

I used to always select an H seat in the MCE mini cabin on the 77W, but now I'll probably select 32B or 20L.

Last edited by ORD-DCA Flyer; Dec 22, 2017 at 9:22 am
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012

it would be a revenue mgmt nightmare with only 1 plane converted, a route like DFW-HKG would only offer it on random days where that plane is flying that route, and then when a plane goes mechanical or a tail swap happens, then that throws everything off. For rev mgmt to even offer it on random days, they’d have to know which day the plane will show up on which route, and usually tail numbers are only assigned a few days out and are subject to last minute adjustments. Better to just give it away as a MCE seat in the interim, and hey, it’s not bad from a marketing standpoint, soft launch the thing and let some lucky folks experience it. Also, 77W’s fly 77W specific routes due to F demand.
Doh! Hadn't had my first cup of coffee yet

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.