Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA, please change your standby/upgrade procedure for first class tickets!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA, please change your standby/upgrade procedure for first class tickets!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by E55
I tend to agree.
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
And I tend to agree with that!
My bet is those that don't buy F like the situation where they get free upgrades at the expense of those that do pay for F while those that buy F tend to think they should have priority over those hoping for a free upgrade. I also surmise that neither group is open to changing their viewpoint on this.
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
All paid F is not the same. OP had the option to upfare to J or D and be confirmed. Really no different than someone buying an O fare on a 9 PM flight because it's cheap and trying to SDC to a 5 PM that originally cost several hundred more.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
All paid F is not the same. OP had the option to upfare to J or D and be confirmed. Really no different than someone buying an O fare on a 9 PM flight because it's cheap and trying to SDC to a 5 PM that originally cost several hundred more.
Huh?

First, how does this in any way justify prioritizing the person who purchased an O fare hoping to be upgraded over someone who purchased an I fare expecting to fly in first class?

Second, everyone on the upgrade list also has the option to "upfare" and be confirmed. Why should the person who paid for first class be the one who has to "upfare" to fly in first class?

Third, your point actually only highlights the disconnect between the SDCFC policies for first and economy. With economy, someone with a cheap O fare can confirm onto a flight, even if the only available seats are in a much more expensive fare bucket. With first, there is no such option.
justforfun likes this.

Last edited by flyingeph12; Dec 18, 2017 at 11:20 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:45 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

What UA does is open up the cheap fare classes within a few hours assuming the flight is not overbooked (or close) which allows customers on lower fare classes to do a confirmed change rather than standing by. AA could adopt a similar strategy.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:04 am

If you are paid F/C, make sure they list you as an RF which places your name on top of the upgrade standbys. RF applies as long as you weren't upgraded into F/C.

You can still be topped but only by those who purchased F/C and got involuntary rerouted into Y or by those who were moved up a cabin to accomodate oversales in the back.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
To everyone saying that coach upgrades should come before paid first class tickets looking to go standby:

Just what is the benefit to buying a first class ticket if it results in you getting only a coach seat if you want to go standby on another flight? It makes no sense to buy one. (I understand that you still get the bonus miles even if you're downgraded, but that's ancillary.)
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Just what is the benefit to buying a first class ticket if it results in you getting only a coach seat if you want to go standby on another flight? It makes no sense to buy one. (I understand that you still get the bonus miles even if you're downgraded, but that's ancillary.)
Because you bought a first class ticket to fly on a certain flight on a certain day, not an open-ended option to do whatever the heck you like, whenever you feel like it, within the AA system.
jhartvu and reeg2 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:29 am

My biggest gripe has more to do with educating the agent on the phone that same day changes are free. I make changes maybe a half dozen times a year, and at least 75% of the time I get the answer of $75, followed by 5 minutes hold while they call the rate desk to figure out how to do it.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
If this is really the correct procedure, I'm not going to buy any more domestic first tickets. I pay 3x the amount of the Y ticket and end up worse off than if I had bought the Y ticket and done a SDFC the day before in economy and then I would have most likely been at the top of the upgrade list like I usually am.

If you want more of my money, AA, process first class standbys BEFORE doing upgrades!
If you are routinely buying domestic first tickets and trying to change your flights, I'd look into AirPass. I have had it for the past 2 years and change my flights all the time, same day or otherwise, and nearly 100% of the time back into a confirmed first class seat. I always book Instant Upgrade fare which tickets into D.

Not worth the cost if you are buying discount Y, but in your case, it might be.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
All of our opinions on this are irrelevant. Only the official policy matters. What is it?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
All of our opinions on this are irrelevant. Only the official policy matters. What is it?
Mystery PALL list black magic, no?
tismfu likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Why does that make zero sense? Anyone with paid F should trump an upgrader, no?
No ! You are assuming that all flights have same fare for F and Y. Some flights have a Y fare that is more
expensive than F fares for another flight. If this is allowed then I could game the system by buying a discounted F ticket on
a less expensive flight and then asking for a confirmed standby for a more expensive flight of my convenience...
nutwpinut likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
There are two key codes to remember when traveling on paid F tickets domestically.

RF as noted above is for standby on a paid F ticket. These will clear above any UPG requests.

Even higher than RF however is DSR. DSR are people traveling on paid F tickets who for whatever reason (usually IRROPS) have been forced to take a seat assignment in Y. So they are confirmed on the flight, they have just been downgraded from what they paid for.

DSR will trump RF.

I have had issues with agents not knowing these codes especially in small outstation airports.
justforfun likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
UA does the same. I stopped flying UA when I had a full paid F Asia-Ord-YYZ that arrived into Chicago early, and I wanted to standby for an earlier ORD-YYZ flight.
They upgraded a Y pax into the only F seat, and offered me the Y seat. That was my last UA flight for some years.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Someone will always be unhappy no matter what the system in place is. AA needs to be consistent and have it spelled out somewhere.
tismfu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.