Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA miles on CZ / China Southern: Only on AA marketed flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
China Southern Airlines / CZ is now operating some flights as American Airlines marketed (AA codeshare) flights. Currently these must be purchased in conjunction with AA flights as an all-AA itinerary, e.g. LAX-PEK-CGK. These flights, as all AA marketed flights, will earn AAdvantage credit and instruments as any other AA marketed flight. (These codeshares are not currently available as standalone domestic China flights.)

Until such time as AA might announce it, flying China Southern Airlines as CZ marketed flights will not earn any AAdvantage credit or miles. BA markets flights on CZ; BA flights operated by CZ earn no AA credit or miles. JL flights operated by CZ might earn AA credit or miles. QF markets flights on CZ; QF flights operated by CZ earn AA credit or miles as if flying QF.

AA miles can not be redeemed for Awards on CZ at this time. That is likely to change in 2019 as the AA - CZ partnership expands.

Link to AA press release American Airlines and China Southern Airlines to Expand Partnership, Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 9:30 AM

See AA and China Southern Airlines / CZ to Expand Partnership in 2019 (FT) - link.

May 24 2018, AA email:

Through a new partnership with China Southern Airlines, you can connect further into China on nine new routes from Beijing (PEK).

China Southern routes include:

• Guangzhou (CAN) • Shenyang (SHE) • Changchun (CGQ)
• Chongqing (CKG) • Shenzhen (SZX) • Dalian (DLC)
• Harbin (HRB) • Changsha (CSX) • Nanning (NNG)

Book your entire trip through aa.com and earn American Airlines AAdvantage® miles on all legs of the trip.
Print Wikipost

Earning AA miles on CZ / China Southern: Only on AA marketed flights)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:12 am
Suspended

Any rumours and gossips on when AA flyers can earn miles on China Southern? Currently planning a trip for China in summer and do not want to credit CZ flight to DL, on AA would be great.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1 Million/Gold, AA EXP 3mm, Hilton/Marriott/Starwood Gold
Not AA marketed

I took an AA connection to CZ to Shenzhen ORD-PVG-SZX today and will report back on the results. But a few observations.

First, at least for now, it is not AA marketed, not even a codeshare. It is a through interline fare. Only CZ shows up on the reservation and boarding pass. AA marketed means there is an AA flight number. There was not.

I have no idea what miles will be credited. Because it wasn't a codeshare I called and gave CZ my Delta FF number, since they are part of Skyteam. But when I checked in to the CZ flight at PVG, it had reverted to my AA number showing on the BP. Since it is a through fare I MAY get credit for the amount I paid AA for the ticket. If I don't, I will submit it to Delta for credit.

AA will presumably credit my ORD-PVG flight, but how many EQM/EQD? The fare is shared between AA and CZ and isn't broken out in the fare ladder, i.e. A single fare ORD-SZX. AA doesn't get all the money, so they can't give me the normal 5x $ EQM without an artificial fare split. Will they give me 5x the full mileage (plus elite bonus), or something else, maybe treating it like an S fare? I don't know but will report once it's been posted.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1 Million/Gold, AA EXP 3mm, Hilton/Marriott/Starwood Gold
Update: AA credited the entire fare ORD-SZX to EQDs and earned miles, and ORD-PVG (only) to EQMs. I am guessing the CZ flight is therefore a throwaway for AAdvantage. It's possible it will be credited with something for CZ PVG-SZX with a delay (the flight was only yesterday), but since CZ is not an AAdvantage partner, it wasn't an AA codeshare, and AA gave me all the EQDs and redeemable mileage for the CZ portion without knowing whether I actually flew it, I'm guessing not.

I could try again on my return at the end of the week, and give CZ my DL number. But since i now have some evidence from the outbound flight that the number is shared across the full itinerary, I worry that doing so might override my AAdvantage number on the AA leg as well. I won't try to do that because I still have a chance at an upgrade PVG-ORD, and don't want to lose my status by having my AAdvantage number wiped out.

After the dust settles I will try submitting my ticket number to Delta to see if I can get credit. Will update if I do, or if I get surprised with additional EQMs for the CZ flight.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:11 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Interestingly, AA just sent this e-mail out, but it's quite light on details. I am assuming this means there will be AA coded flights on these nine routes.

Through a new partnership with China Southern Airlines, you can connect further into China on nine new routes from Beijing (PEK).

• Guangzhou (CAN)
  • Chongqing (CKG)
  • Harbin (HRB)
  • Shenyang (SHE)
  • Shenzhen (SZX)
  • Changsha (CSX)
  • Changchun (CGQ)
  • Dalian (DLC)
  • Nanning (NNG)
Book your entire trip through aa.com and earn American Airlines AAdvantage® miles on all legs of the trip.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dw
Interestingly, AA just sent this e-mail out, but it's quite light on details. I am assuming this means there will be AA coded flights on these nine routes.

• Guangzhou (CAN)
  • Chongqing (CKG)
  • Harbin (HRB)
  • Shenyang (SHE)
  • Shenzhen (SZX)
  • Changsha (CSX)
  • Changchun (CGQ)
  • Dalian (DLC)
  • Nanning (NNG)
Essentially, this is likely one way of saying CZ will offer AA marketed flights to these destinations. These will undoubtedly be sold as AA marketed flights (“codeshares”) if one purchases the entire ticket as AA, and that buying PEK-CKG as a stand-alone AA marketed flight would not be possible. (And as a CZ marketed flight, I’d earn no AA anything.) LAX-PEK-CGK, OTOH, could be sold as AA flight numbers and would earn the same as if flying AA.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:46 pm

Anyone know the status on these codeshares? I'm an AA elite, and I need to fly from PEK-CAN one way in November. Based on the details I've found, even with the scaled back partnership, this route should have flights. I can't find any on AA.com, nor any details about how I'd determine which flights are codeshares. Any ideas?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:22 pm

Pretty sure that AA coded flights wouldn’t be available on ur route unkesss u were connecting from an AA codeshare flight. Kid of like you can’t book LHR MAD on AA on its own unless u are connecting on an aa flight coming from like RDU.

Originally Posted by am350
Anyone know the status on these codeshares? I'm an AA elite, and I need to fly from PEK-CAN one way in November. Based on the details I've found, even with the scaled back partnership, this route should have flights. I can't find any on AA.com, nor any details about how I'd determine which flights are codeshares. Any ideas?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by 777lover
Pretty sure that AA coded flights wouldn’t be available on ur route unkesss u were connecting from an AA codeshare flight. Kid of like you can’t book LHR MAD on AA on its own unless u are connecting on an aa flight coming from like RDU.
Ah yes, looking through AA's site, this seems to be the case. I didn't realize that's how this worked. Bummer, I was hoping to enjoy reciprocal benefits intra-China as a OW Sapphire. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA
Would like to see redeeming miles is possible
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
You can now earn and burn on all China Southern flights. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

Only AA codeshares earn EQD & EQM.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
Anyone have insight on booking CZ codeshares on AA?

Need to do some LAX-CAN runs in 2020 and the company usually books CZ. I can see that AA7042/7041 is the codeshare for the CZ flights, but no matter what dates I enter on AA.com for the next month - it never shows as an option. Furthermore, EF shows both the CZ and AA(CS) flights - but the inventory on the AA(CS) options are all zeroed out!

(I've done some digging here on FT and just google in general - can't find this problem reported elsewhere... so maybe it's just me!? )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.