Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Daniel Solis
LAX-NRT on 12/12 Expert Flyer shows 11 Seats Available.
What are my odds of the upgrade clearing on this flight. Should I expect a huge upgrade list
I'd say your odds are pretty darn good, at least relatively speaking. The seatmap with 11 empties is one thing, but the part that sticks out for me is the I7. Also, tangentially related, at Y0 with a bad looking econ map I wonder if they'll end up doing op-ups.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:29 pm

LAX-NRT on 12/12 Expert Flyer shows 11 Seats Available.
What are my odds of the upgrade clearing on this flight. Should I expect a huge upgrade list
Oh wow, I had just done an availability search before....did the award search and it's C3! If your upgrade hasn't cleared already call them up and they should be able to.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Oh wow, I had just done an availability search before....did the award search and it's C3! If your upgrade hasn't cleared already call them up and they should be able to.
I called and they cleared me thanks for letting me know , I did a search before I made this post and it was C0 and I had a alert but they didn't send me a email.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I called and they cleared me thanks for letting me know , I did a search before I made this post and it was C0 and I had a alert but they didn't send me a email.
Yea... Those EF alerts are tricky at times. I've experienced the opposite on a recent trip. I was upgraded using SWU and C inventory never became available according to EF.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Yea... Those EF alerts are tricky at times. I've experienced the opposite on a recent trip. I was upgraded using SWU and C inventory never became available according to EF.
Yeah, the EF alerts are definitely far from reliable. My understanding is they do sweeps a few times a day to look at the inventory. But of course AA is often doing things like opening some C space and then quickly clearing people into it, which can happen entirely between sweeps. Last time I had one notify me (for LAX-AKL last month) I got the email within a couple minutes and immediately called AA; while I was on hold I checked EF and saw it was already back to C0, so I checked the AA site and saw my SWUs had already automatically cleared. So I hung up the phone.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TSparky
One factor on the upgrade % is how many seats are held back "just in case". Is it an absolute # like 1 or 2 or a percentage like 10%?
Neither. A few years ago it was very predictable (and was an absolute number at that time), but that is definitely not the case currently.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Not sure if anyone has ever seen this before, but for about 1 hour yesterday AA released insane amounts of C inventory. Almost every flight for months out was C7 or C4 if there was only 4 J seats left, etc. I tried calling to upgrade 2 flights, but because of the weather issues in the south east the wait/ callback time was 45 minutes. By the time I received my call the inventory all went back to C0. I hope some people were able to score some upgrades during that hour. Obviously this was a glitch that AA quickly remedied.

Last edited by brc757rr; Dec 11, 2018 at 3:05 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by brc757rr
Not sure if anyone has ever seen this before, but for about 1 hour yesterday AA released insane amounts of C inventory. Almost every flight for months out was C7 or C4 if there was only 4 J seats left, etc. I tried calling to upgrade 2 flights, but because of the weather issues in the south east the wait/ callback time was 45 minutes. By the time I received my call the inventory all went back to C0. I hope some people were able to score some upgrades during that hour.
My early Feb DFW-NRT and my HKG-DFW did not clear. (I'm waitlisted). Nor did my DFW-LHR on 17 Mar.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by TSparky
Continuing the 789 LAX-DFW discussion, Sunday I was 2 of 41 and no upgrade. I can't get a cell connection on this aircraft so I don't know if #1 cleared.
DFW-IND 738 again cleared at 22h.

One factor on the upgrade % is how many seats are held back "just in case". Is it an absolute # like 1 or 2 or a percentage like 10%?
I've flown this twice in the past week - the UG lists were very long (40+ on the list). If we were lucky, 1 would upgrade at the gate. For both flights, I snagged a PE seat (row 9 or 11) so I felt content not to bother with upgrading what is a 2:10 flight.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
FYI there's C2 on this Sunday's DFW-HKG (AA 125, 12/16). It was C3 and I just changed onto it to avoid DFW-NRT-HKG.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:36 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Has AA become more stingy with releasing complimentary upgrade space this year?

Maybe just bad luck of the draw but I have a trip coming up this Saturday where only 3 out of 12 seats in J are booked with MCE only having 4 seats taken including me+companion yet no upgrade has been processed.

We have the best seats in Y so it’s all good either way but just found this kind of strange. I’d like to make my meal selections if possible this is the only reason I would like to be upgraded at least 24 hours out.

I am EXP FWIW.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Well, my own feeling is that it was earlier than this year, but yes, the general consensus seems to be that upgrades tend to post later than they once did. AA probably did this to make sure they didn't lose out on revenue from last-minute travelers; if you post all your upgrades at T-100 and then a few people try to buy J the next day and can't, that's a fairly obvious loss from their perspective.

The somewhat less obvious part is the compositional effect on which EXPs actually get the upgrades. This change kind of dovetails with the list order changes in May 2017 (list was ordered by date of booking, now it's by EQD); both changes greatly benefit flyers that book last minute, high-priced tickets, at the expense of flyers that tend to book early for lower cost. Both changes appear to have caused quite a bit of consternation around here, but it's important to recognize that this is more or less a zero-sum thing; for every EXP who finds himself lower in the lists now, there's one who finds himself higher.

I'm one of the big beneficiaries of the new policy. I typically book no more than 48 hours out, and tend to fly lots of regional routes that have a high price/mile; before the EQD change I cleared less than half the time, and often by the time I booked J would already be full or close to it because they had already processed some upgrades. That was sort of a drag. I knew my behavior was exactly what the airline really wanted...but they were giving all the upgrades to flyers who were behaving in ways much less beneficial to AA. The system effectively had a clear bias in favor of the people who paid the least for their tickets. The new system strikes me as a lot more sensible. Of course my self-interest aligns there too (2018 upgrade success >80%), so go figure. But I just wanted to point out that there are good effects for a lot of people from these changes.

That said, hope you clear before T-24 so you can get that meal preordered.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle

Maybe just bad luck of the draw but I have a trip coming up this Saturday where only 3 out of 12 seats in J are booked with MCE only having 4 seats taken including me+companion yet no upgrade has been processed.

We have the best seats in Y so it’s all good either way but just found this kind of strange. I’d like to make my meal selections if possible this is the only reason I would like to be upgraded at least 24 hours out.

I am EXP FWIW.
Maybe the old bug has returned. I am also on a DCA-DFW flight on Saturday evening where only 4 of the 16 F seats are occupied, and no one has been upgraded. (It was 4 of 16 before the CK window opened.) EF shows J7 I7 Y7 and C3. I am also EXP. I am traveling with a companion on the same PNR and don't want a random assignment at the last minute to have us in wildly different seats. Plus be able to select a meal. It's very frustrating. Nothing wrong with our reservation as we both got upgraded on the connecting DFW-AUS flight at T-100.

The only plausible explanation is that Dec 14 is the target date for Congress to adjourn and maybe AA is keeping the F cabin clear on that weekend to accommodate last minute purchases.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
On many of my flights this year, I've been getting upgraded at right around T-26.5, regardless of the number of available seats.

It's at least early enough to allow for meal selection, but can be annoying when it goes down from J7+ to J1 and I'm pretty much stuck in the seat I was assigned.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So, for my two trips over the last week, I was 0 for 7 on upgrades. Got to #1 on ATL-DCA and was #3 on DFW-ATL. Did not bother with LAX-DFW as both flights were on 789s. Could not even upgrade DCA-PHL or DCA-CLT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.