Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Stripe
I don't understand why that is. Mathematically the ratio of F/J to Y seats is one of the better ones in the fleet. Do more people buying F target that plane to get the better seat, even on a route like DFW-ORD?
Absolutely. For example, I've had several SFO trips this year. Upgrades tend not to clear, so I've paid for J on these flights. If I spot an SFO-DFW connection on a 787 or SFO-PHL on the A330, I'll almost always take that over a B737 or A321, unless the times are really inconvenient.
TSparky, flyingeph12 and catcher1 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by metallo
Absolutely. For example, I've had several SFO trips this year. Upgrades tend not to clear, so I've paid for J on these flights. If I spot an SFO-DFW connection on a 787 or SFO-PHL on the A330, I'll almost always take that over a B737 or A321, unless the times are really inconvenient.
+1. I have, however, been burned a few times this year by delays on the 788 SFO-DFW flights and short connection times in DFW. I think especially when those 788 flights first started, SFO’s ground crew just couldn’t turn those flights in the allotted 50 minutes or whatever.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I don't understand why that is. Mathematically the ratio of F/J to Y seats is one of the better ones in the fleet. Do more people buying F target that plane to get the better seat, even on a route like DFW-ORD? I know a hub-to-hub route like that can be elite heavy but that would presumably affect all planes equally. I have two flights booked in Feb on the 788 between DFW and ORD, so I hope you're wrong. The J cabin is showing mostly empty now, but I know that doesn't mean much.
Good luck. When I say I’m in the teens on the upgrade list it’s always for zero seats up front available. Always sold out.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
Good luck. When I say I’m in the teens on the upgrade list it’s always for zero seats up front available. Always sold out.
I flew a few LAX-DFW and SFO-JFK on 787s this year, and fearing the competition I waitlisted miles+copay on all of them. I'm about a 17k EQD EXP, so I felt odds were poor for complimentary, and I really valued that lie-flat seat. I got the upgrade every time (and always before airport list), but of course I have no idea whether I'd still have cleared without the instrument.

Anyway, these were the only domestic flights I used miles+copay on...on the narrowbodies I just don't care as much. If other flyers think like me, that could be a significant factor pushing you down the list, and also a factor in it being J0 when the airport list comes up.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:10 pm

I don't understand why that is. Mathematically the ratio of F/J to Y seats is one of the better ones in the fleet.
Mwahaha! Who wants to follow me into math geekdom? Don't worry, it's just arithmetic (this time).

It suddenly occurred to me that there's a good reason for higher (nominal) list position on bigger planes even if the J/Y ratios are big that doesn't involve pax behavior at all. The simplest way to put it is "bigger planes have longer lists, so your relative position is larger in nominal terms." But let me unpack it a bit:

Plane A has 100 total pax for 90 Y and 10 J seats. 20% of flyers are EXP and you're right in the middle of the pack for EQD.

Plane B has 1000 total pax for 900 Y and 100 J seats. Same % EXP and you're still in the middle.

Your list position on Plane A is 10, and on Plane B it's 100. Of course it means exactly the same thing, and we should say those routes have identical competition...but this isn't something we're thinking about when we say "dang I'm 15th on the list!"

I'll bet if we started thinking of list position as a ratio of position/list-size we'd get a more accurate idea of competition and odds.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:16 pm

Please note my last post doesn't invalidate the one before it at all; I figure those are both factors in this case.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Please note my last post doesn't invalidate the one before it at all; I figure those are both factors in this case.
Well, your hypo depends on the % of EXP is constant across both scenarios. Besides more people willing to outright purchase F on lie-flat flights (so fewer seats available for upgrades to begin with), I would suspect that there are more EXPs (and CKs) on those lie-flat flights (and potentially more "high-value" EXPs).
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Well, your hypo depends on the % of EXP is constant across both scenarios. Besides more people willing to outright purchase F on lie-flat flights (so fewer seats available for upgrades to begin with), I would suspect that there are more EXPs (and CKs) on those lie-flat flights (and potentially more "high-value" EXPs).
Yeah, absolutely; I said that explicitly in my post yesterday morning. I still believe that, and still believe that miles+copay behavior probably factors in as well. My last point was just that independent of those factors the simple math probably changes the list in ways we don't find intuitive. Or put another way, your position on the list would "feel worse" on the bigger plane even if the ratio of EXP/pax was equal (which we doubt for those other reasons).
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
Is it possible to be double dipped into upgrades?

Doing a LAX to MIA red eye flight as ExecPlat requested 500 mile upgrade at booking and changed it to SWU just in case (last one expiring anyway).

Saturday I get an email that I was upgraded. No SWU was deducted. Details show it was a 500 mile upgrade and not a SWU. The whole first cabin has always been very empty as I was checking leading up to that. I get seat 6A.

Today I decide to refresh my app and all of a sudden I’m in seat 3C, and 6A is empty. I check my email and see a ticket exchange was done, and a SWU was applied and taken.

Is it technically possible to get 500 mile upgraded if First is pretty empty, and that takes priority over the SWU if it’s not really needed? That’s the only explanation I can think of why my seat was moved at the same time my ticket was exchanged, even though I was in first for more than 24 hours already without a ticket exchange like a normal 500 mile.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Probably more likely the lag between the initiation of the upgrade and completion of the reticketing.

What detail showed you definitively it was a 500 mile upgrade? I suppose since they come from different inventory, it's possible.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:07 am

I don’t remember the ticket class, but the app showed under Upgrades that it was a confirmed 500 mile upgrade. Before that it was SWU requested, then after reticketing it changed to SWU confirmed.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Continuing the 789 LAX-DFW discussion, Sunday I was 2 of 41 and no upgrade. I can't get a cell connection on this aircraft so I don't know if #1 cleared.
DFW-IND 738 again cleared at 22h.

One factor on the upgrade % is how many seats are held back "just in case". Is it an absolute # like 1 or 2 or a percentage like 10%?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TSparky
One factor on the upgrade % is how many seats are held back "just in case". Is it an absolute # like 1 or 2 or a percentage like 10%?
Hard to provide an accurate general statement, but IME it's usually been an absolute number (1-2 as you suggested) under normal, day-to-day operations. Things like oversold flights and anticipated widespread IRROPS can cause that number to go up, though.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
LAX-NRT on 12/12 Expert Flyer shows 11 Seats Available.
What are my odds of the upgrade clearing on this flight. Should I expect a huge upgrade list

Last edited by Daniel Solis; Dec 10, 2018 at 6:43 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Rukes
I don’t remember the ticket class, but the app showed under Upgrades that it was a confirmed 500 mile upgrade. Before that it was SWU requested, then after reticketing it changed to SWU confirmed.
Just an update, it ws a SWU but multiple plane changes happened, so first I was in 6A in the back of a 3-6 737. Then it changed to a 1-4 737, put me in row 3, then changed back to the 3-6 and that’s when the SWU ticket was exchanged showing me in bulkhead. Then I moved myself to 3A as the plan became a 1-4 737 for good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.