Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by stephem
Do complementary EXP upgrades come out of C bucket? So if C=1 and i book within the 5 day window i should get upgraded shortly after ticketing?
C is for SWU's.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Do complementary EXP upgrades come out of C bucket? So if C=1 and i book within the 5 day window i should get upgraded shortly after ticketing?
No, EXP complimentary upgrades come out of R, which is invisible. C is used for instrument-supported upgrades, including SWUs and miles+copay upgrades.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by dkc192
No, EXP complimentary upgrades come out of R, which is invisible. C is used for instrument-supported upgrades, including SWUs and miles+copay upgrades.
Interesting, the upgrade came through right away and the C bucket ticked down from 1 to 0. I have bought many R class fares over the years, they are discounted business class although international. Are you saying that for domestic purposes the R bucket is something different?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold
Fly 193

I have been waitlisted for flt 193 leaving 12/4 for a about a month or so. Got the alert from EF that there was C availability. Agent initially said I was still waitlisted, but I asked him to check C availability and he said he could clear my SWU.

Im still waitlisted for the flight back (126 HKG-DFW) which still has tons of inventory, so we will see what happens!

Looking forward to checking out the LAX Flagship First lounge tomorrow!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

Interesting, the upgrade came through right away and the C bucket ticked down from 1 to 0. I have bought many R class fares over the years, they are discounted business class although international. Are you saying that for domestic purposes the R bucket is something different?
Yes, there's an invisible R for upgrades. Used to be X when "F" was full-fare two-cabin first.

It makes sense that you'd get the upgrade. In my experience, it's very often the case that if C>0 & you're within the upgrade window, then R>0. I will say that closer in, say within 24 hours of departure, I'll see C availability (say, J2C1) when it doesn't seem plausible that I'll clear the upgrade. In those cases, if it's a long enough flight, I may set a reminder for myself to check the upgrade list 4 hours out, and burn a BXP1 for a C seat if it looks like I won't clear.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: CK or bust

Haven't seen R buckets for revenue fares in quite some time - have you recently ticketed something in R for any travel?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Yes, there's an invisible R for upgrades.
It used to be that agents could search for it but I'm not sure if front-line agents can still do that via Qik.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Eyeing DFW-LHR in Jan. Which flight do you think has the best shot of a SWU? AA 20, 80, 50 or 78?

All seem wide open now.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by Antarius
Eyeing DFW-LHR in Jan. Which flight do you think has the best shot of a SWU? AA 20, 80, 50 or 78?

All seem wide open now.
I would imagine AA20 should have the best odds by far: 77W has much more premium space compared to 772 and the mid-afternoon departure time is less business heavy.
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ComplexAnalysis
I would imagine AA20 should have the best odds by far: 77W has much more premium space compared to 772 and the mid-afternoon departure time is less business heavy.
thanks.

Back when there were 3 flights, the earliest one (AA 50) seemed to be the hardest upgrade to clear. The night flight was easier IIRC.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Haven't seen R buckets for revenue fares in quite some time - have you recently ticketed something in R for any travel?
it’s the second most expensive fare class under full J. In almost every market for international flights the AA fare hierarchy ia I, D, R, J. Most people only fly in I, for me our corporate rates give a healthy discount on R and J so i often fly those. Just do an EF search constrained to business class and AA and you see the hierarchy. Or if you dont have an eF subscription then search ITA with the restrictor F bc=r and you wil see them.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist

it’s the second most expensive fare class under full J. In almost every market for international flights the AA fare hierarchy ia I, D, R, J. Most people only fly in I, for me our corporate rates give a healthy discount on R and J so i often fly those. Just do an EF search constrained to business class and AA and you see the hierarchy. Or if you dont have an eF subscription then search ITA with the restrictor F bc=r and you wil see them.
There are no complimentary upgrades on “international” flights (except to Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America). But complimentary upgrades do in fact clear into R or X, depending on whether first class is sold as “first” or “business.” This is different from C, although sometimes the two inventories have the same availability (as appears to be the case in your case).
enpremiere likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aacar
AA364 (DFW-SJC) yesterday, was 10 of 31 as EXP with ~$17K rolling EQDs.
#1 on the list was a CK (GA read out the names of the 3 CKs).
No one cleared.
On the other hand, last night's flights from SFO to ORD and DFW (on a 788) had 4 and 5 empty seats and no one on the upgrade list.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Sunday LAX-DFW on a 789 - I was 5 of 62 (27k EQD) and I don't think anyone cleared.
DFW-IND cleared at t-23, as usual.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by TSparky
DFW-IND cleared at t-23, as usual.
Dfw- indianapolis cleared at only T-23 on a Sunday no less!? A few years ago that would have easily cleared at T-100.

Times have changed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.