Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dwugson
Can anyone with Expert Flyer assess my chances of a miles + cash upgrade on AA 106 12/21. Currently in economy and waitlisted for an upgrade. Am platinum pro but only $13 K EQD this year. Thanks.
That flight is currently showing J7 C0 with 17 open seats in business class. It's still a ways out but I'd probably guess your upgrade will clear as business travel on a Friday night into a holiday week is very light.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Thanks Finsup! shall keep my fingers crossed.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bse118
Another flight. Another SWU clearing well in advance.

AA46, the late ORD-LHR, for the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Y-->J on a 788.

(admittedly the Sunday after Thanksgiving might be a bit abnormal day for 'typical' business travel)
So flew this flight now (posting this from the QF lounge at LHR)

Originally booked OMA-ORD-LHR-LUX on Nov 25 with the SWU cleared months in advance.

Afternoon of departure cancelled due to snow in ORD. Nothing available that day.

Auto-rebooked on the same flights through ORD the next day Nov 26 - upgrades maintained.

Called in and moved myself to OMA-DFW-LHR-LUX on Nov 26 via AA78 - upgrades maintained. (And C space was showing for AA78 at ~30 hours before departure.

Good thing I moved - the OMA-ORD flights were cancelled on Nov 26 as well.

Still have not missed a Y-->J SWU or BXP3 longhaul request during my several years as EXP.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bse118
Still have not missed a Y-->J SWU or BXP3 longhaul request during my several years as EXP.

Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Bleak

And not the first shutout out of DFW. 16 of 41 today on the list for AA2351 DFW-DCA.

At 17k EQD.

Another reason why DEN-DCA via CLT even as a dump airport is the new preferred route. Never any upgrade fails. Right behind it is via ORD.

Trying this bonehead itinerary is entirely on me, as I know better.

Edit: make that 21 of 46. 😧

Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by AATrout

Outside of winter travel, I would much prefer through ORD as you would get a usually decent hot meal on the ORD-DCA leg and I imagine it would be the quickest door-to-door!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AATrout
And not the first shutout out of DFW. 16 of 41 today on the list for AA2351 DFW-DCA.

At 17k EQD.

Another reason why DEN-DCA via CLT even as a dump airport is the new preferred route. Never any upgrade fails. Right behind it is via ORD.

Edit: make that 21 of 46. ��

Wow, that's rough, especially for a Tuesday. DFW-BOS is another one that can be incredibly hard to upgrade at the wrong times. I was 23 out of 40-something as a 15k EQD EXP on the evening of Presidents' Day this year. Similar to you, I also saw a 40-something list on a Wednesday in mid-October, but thankfully I was in paid F that time.

That said, I've also cleared a couple of Friday noontime BOS-DFW flights at the gate, so, YMMV greatly it seems.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
One 2019-01-31 expiring SWU left; waitlisted on MSY-DFW-LIM on 2019-01-24. Right now J7 R6 D2 I0 with exactly 7 open on the seat map (plus two blocked) on the 757. We shall see...the return is LATAM where I can't use them (or upgrade any other way at all) so if this one misses I suppose I'll be giving it away.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by dkc192
Wow, that's rough, especially for a Tuesday. DFW-BOS is another one that can be incredibly hard to upgrade at the wrong times. I was 23 out of 40-something as a 15k EQD EXP on the evening of Presidents' Day this year. Similar to you, I also saw a 40-something list on a Wednesday in mid-October, but thankfully I was in paid F that time.

That said, I've also cleared a couple of Friday noontime BOS-DFW flights at the gate, so, YMMV greatly it seems.
I think this was residual Turkey Day return traffic that surged 2 more days after the supposed big Sunday travel day. This time of year isn’t exactly heavy business in and out of DC. Probable that a number of non-biz travelers “bought-up” to enjoy the ride. Still, out of 16, that would account for perhaps half?

Wasn’t aware of a DFW effect from the WX in the Midwest, including diverts, but when I went thru there on Saturday night from FRA the place was totally packed. Possibly some folks were heading to the east coast, were affected, rerouted and had priority. DCA isn’t the best for heading further north, but when I got in tonight @1915, DCA was also really packed. At least Metro was up and running...
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:28 am

Upcoming trip PHL - LAX - Friday, February 1st on the A332 (flight 698 leaves pHL at 3:35). I put in for a Miles/Copay upgrade for a family of 3 - I presently don't have any status. Right now first is showing as 4 seats out of 20 booked. Any snowball chance in hell we can all clear?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Can someone tell me if this is normal?

I have two passengers on one PNR. NRT-DFW-MIA. I requested to use two SWUs to upgrade only NRT-DFW for both passengers because the DFW-MIA is already booked full in first. When checking the res online, I get a "standby" menu. It shows my original flights in economy with the same seats as originally booked. But when I click the "standby flight" it lists NRT-DFW in economy (with originally booked seats) and right below it has the same NRT-DFW flight but with business listed and the seats listed are the two economy seats we have DFW-MIA. Seems pretty weird...
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543

I have two passengers on one PNR. NRT-DFW-MIA. I requested to use two SWUs to upgrade only NRT-DFW for both passengers because the DFW-MIA is already booked full in first. When checking the res online, I get a "standby" menu. It shows my original flights in economy with the same seats as originally booked. But when I click the "standby flight" it lists NRT-DFW in economy (with originally booked seats) and right below it has the same NRT-DFW flight but with business listed and the seats listed are the two economy seats we have DFW-MIA. Seems pretty weird...
I have a trip to LHR waitlisted for SWUs in a few weeks which is showing the exact same thing when I pull up the reservation online. I even called AA because it looked so strange, they assured me the SWU requests were set up correctly and nothing was out of the ordinary, etc.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543

I have seen this when waitlisting a BXP1 (Business Extra Award) and for a connecting flight when one leg was confirmed in first, but other one was waitlisted. I wouldn't worry.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
AA364 (DFW-SJC) yesterday, was 10 of 31 as EXP with ~$17K rolling EQDs.
#1 on the list was a CK (GA read out the names of the 3 CKs).
No one cleared.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Do complementary EXP upgrades come out of C bucket? So if C=1 and i book within the 5 day window i should get upgraded shortly after ticketing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.