Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Honors Diamond
A few data points (LAX-HKG, HKG-LAX, IAD-LAX)

A few data points on Systemwide Upgrades/500 Mile Upgrades that cleared in the last week. I have to say, in each case (despite being on the wait list as an Executive Platinum), "C" inventory opened up but the upgrades did not automatically clear from the waitlist. I had to call AA to manually process the upgrades, which makes me concerned that non-status members can jump to claim "C" space regardless of their position in the waitlist for a SWU or mileage redemption. At any rate, all segments cleared by proactively monitoring availability:

LAX-HKG AA193 (4 "C" spaces opened 36 hours prior to departure, with J7+ available for purchase and seat map of approx. 18 seats open) - SWU for myself + non-status companion cleared upon calling AA

HKG-LAX AA192 (4 "C" spaces opened exactly 1 week prior to departure, with J7+ available for purchase and seat map of approx. 20 seats open) - SWU for myself + non-status companion cleared upon calling AA

IAD-LAX AA1339 (1 "C" space opened 5 days prior to departure, with J7+ available for purchase) - SWU for non-status companion cleared upon calling AA

IAD-LAX AA1339 (complimentary 500 mile upgrade cleared exactly 100 hours from departure, with J5 available for purchase)
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by QHatoff
A few data points on Systemwide Upgrades/500 Mile Upgrades that cleared in the last week. I have to say, in each case (despite being on the wait list as an Executive Platinum), "C" inventory opened up but the upgrades did not automatically clear from the waitlist. I had to call AA to manually process the upgrades, which makes me concerned that non-status members can jump to claim "C" space regardless of their position in the waitlist for a SWU or mileage redemption. At any rate, all segments cleared by proactively monitoring availability:

LAX-HKG AA193 (4 "C" spaces opened 36 hours prior to departure, with J7+ available for purchase and seat map of approx. 18 seats open) - SWU for myself + non-status companion cleared upon calling AA

HKG-LAX AA192 (4 "C" spaces opened exactly 1 week prior to departure, with J7+ available for purchase and seat map of approx. 20 seats open) - SWU for myself + non-status companion cleared upon calling AA

IAD-LAX AA1339 (1 "C" space opened 5 days prior to departure, with J7+ available for purchase) - SWU for non-status companion cleared upon calling AA

IAD-LAX AA1339 (complimentary 500 mile upgrade cleared exactly 100 hours from departure, with J5 available for purchase)
that is very concerning. So if a non status passenger has EF and their C alert goes off what is preventing them from calling and having it processed with miles? I don't think your SWU statement is applicable however because a non status passenger wouldn't have one in the first place (?).
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
that is very concerning. So if a non status passenger has EF and their C alert goes off what is preventing them from calling and having it processed with miles? I don't think your SWU statement is applicable however because a non status passenger wouldn't have one in the first place (?).
It's speculative that this could or would happen, but it is not supposed to.

However, I had a C alert EF email on 13 Oct for my waitlisted SWU on the 14th from LHR-DFW. I got the email about 2 hours after EF sent it. At that point, I called AA to see if I had cleared and they said I had not, and the C space was gone.

Maybe that was just a phantom C-alert from EF, or a glitch in the system. Who knows. I did end up getting the SWU cleared, however, about 8 hours later.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
I suppose that it is possible the agent verified my position on the upgrade list before manually processing it, but I do know that the "C" space showed on AA.com/ExpertFlyer for over an hour before I had the opportunity to call in. If they do not verify though, a non-status member could grab open "C" space while others are sitting on wait list.

To your question, I believe that non-status member could be using a SWU or a miles upgrade since SWU's can be gifted/applied to other reservations. In fact, for my IAD-LAX flight, the companion was listed as SWU while I waited for the complimentary 100-hour upgrade (he did not inherit status for SWU to clear).
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by econometrics

However, I had a C alert EF email on 13 Oct for my waitlisted SWU on the 14th from LHR-DFW. I got the email about 2 hours after EF sent it. At that point, I called AA to see if I had cleared and they said I had not, and the C space was gone.

Maybe that was just a phantom C-alert from EF, or a glitch in the system. Who knows. I did end up getting the SWU cleared, however, about 8 hours later.
My guess is it was the C space opening up, then AA clearing people off the list into it. I got the EF notice that C opened up on my LAX-AKL, and by the time I looked maybe an hour after alert, I was already upgraded and EF showed C0. And that was a month before the flight (which is tomorrow!)
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
My guess is it was the C space opening up, then AA clearing people off the list into it. I got the EF notice that C opened up on my LAX-AKL, and by the time I looked maybe an hour after alert, I was already upgraded and EF showed C0. And that was a month before the flight (which is tomorrow!)
This has long been the case. I suggest people keep quiet about it. If people have the proper tools available (one doesn't even need expert flyer) and are able to call and clear their upgrades, then so be it. I'm not concerned about non status passengers jumping the queue- how often could that possibly happen? If I'm waiting for a SWU, and it's less than 2 weeks out, you can rest assured I'm watching those flights like a hawk (much to the dismay of my husband when we are trying to enjoy a trip!)
enviroian and brc757rr like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Data Point - just cleared to J on LAX-PVG on 12.27. Nice surprise this far in advance
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by econometrics

When did the email come? I think I posted upthead here or elsewhere that EF sometimes does send phantom C alerts, almost always at midnight (local time in departure city) the day before departure (i.e. if your LHR-DFW was on 10/14, the phantom e-mail would've come around 12:01am BST on 10/13). I've been at my computer both times it's happened to me, so if there was any lag between me getting the alert and manually querying EF, it was 2 min at most. Unclear if this is a glitch with EF, the GDS, or elsewhere.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:11 pm

11:53am UTC.

Originally Posted by dkc192
When did the email come? I think I posted upthead here or elsewhere that EF sometimes does send phantom C alerts, almost always at midnight (local time in departure city) the day before departure (i.e. if your LHR-DFW was on 10/14, the phantom e-mail would've come around 12:01am BST on 10/13). I've been at my computer both times it's happened to me, so if there was any lag between me getting the alert and manually querying EF, it was 2 min at most. Unclear if this is a glitch with EF, the GDS, or elsewhere.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dkc192
Why would this indicate a glitch, as opposed to AA just opening up some C space and then clearing the list into it?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Hi everyone,

Considering making a change to upcoming trip to potentially improve upgrade chances and wanted to get the group's consensus. Of note: 5 passengers - wife with no status on one PNR will be miles + cash UG, me and 3 daughters will be SWU - I am EXP but have spent nothing on AA this year so will be bottom of EXP tier in terms of priority. Neither option currently showing U or C.

Current:
Saturday, Dec 15. NRT-DFW-MIA
NRT-DFW 176 on 772 J7D0I0, 24 seats open in J
DFW-MIA 2550 on 738 J1D0I0, 1 or 2 seats open in J so that's unlikely

New Option: For $175 a person, I could change to:
Friday, Dec 14. NRT-LAX-MIA
NRT-LAX 170 on 789 J7D7I7, 23 seats open in J
LAX-MIA 1217 on 32B J7D7I7, 11 seats open in J

So, do you think changing to the NRT-LAX-MIA improves upgrade chances enough to pay change fee? Total travel time between the two is similar, and there is upside to leaving Narita at night so kids sleep better and getting in a day earlier.

All in all, seems like a worthwhile change but anything you guys think I'm missing?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
(aside from DFW-HKG)
New to EXP and this thread, and you've just crushed my hopes for using my new SWU on this route next year!
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Hi everyone,

Considering making a change to upcoming trip to potentially improve upgrade chances and wanted to get the group's consensus. Of note: 5 passengers - wife with no status on one PNR will be miles + cash UG, me and 3 daughters will be SWU - I am EXP but have spent nothing on AA this year so will be bottom of EXP tier in terms of priority. Neither option currently showing U or C.

Current:
Saturday, Dec 15. NRT-DFW-MIA
NRT-DFW 176 on 772 J7D0I0, 24 seats open in J
DFW-MIA 2550 on 738 J1D0I0, 1 or 2 seats open in J so that's unlikely

New Option: For $175 a person, I could change to:
Friday, Dec 14. NRT-LAX-MIA
NRT-LAX 170 on 789 J7D7I7, 23 seats open in J
LAX-MIA 1217 on 32B J7D7I7, 11 seats open in J

So, do you think changing to the NRT-LAX-MIA improves upgrade chances enough to pay change fee? Total travel time between the two is similar, and there is upside to leaving Narita at night so kids sleep better and getting in a day earlier.

All in all, seems like a worthwhile change but anything you guys think I'm missing?
I would stick with the NRT-DFW that you're currently booked on for now. Put an EF alert on the NRT-LAX. If C5 opens, you could make the change then.

I think a Saturday flight in December should be favorable for you all to upgrade to DFW with that many open J seats left, and AA not selling any "discount" biz fares on that specific flight right now.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by bswiz
New to EXP and this thread, and you've just crushed my hopes for using my new SWU on this route next year!
Why? I have cleared DFW-HKG and back many times. Fly midweek.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Data point: LAX-PVG PE=>J

Currently $455 short on EQD but EQM sits at 120,500.
Past midnight 11/02/2018 (according AA EXP desk) we (2) were cleared from PE to J on LAX-PVG 3 weeks from flight date!

EF alerted me this morning at 8:30am; called AA EXP desk and was told UG cleared already! Up to now, I have not received any email from AA re UG. I was able to select seats and book meals!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.