Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bse118
Cleared a Y--J BXP3 AA176 (the morning NRT-DFW) for a Saturday departure at about 36 hours prior.

My 100% clearance rate on longhual upgrades continues...
did you have to call in to meeting services when the BXP3 cleared? Or does it clear like a SWU or miles+$?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by britz

did you have to call in to meeting services when the BXP3 cleared? Or does it clear like a SWU or miles+$?
I called - after noticing that flight was showing "C" availability. It was actually a bit an ordeal, as the process did not work the way I understand that it is supposed to. See series of posts starting at number 1329 in the business extra thread for the full story.

Last edited by bse118; Aug 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm Reason: removed silly FT hashtag autoformat
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by nc203
I have only been EXP for two years now but I have been extremely pleased with my upgrade percentage. I didn't hold elite status back in the mid 2000's glory days of upgrades but it sure feels pretty close.

$18K rolling EQD so not a big spender by any means compared to other EXP's

80/82 on segments YTD
Two misses were A319's (CLT-BNA Wed evening & TPA-MIA Thurs morning). Most of my success comes from avoiding those whenever possible. I believe I'm still around 10/12 on A319 upgrades. 85% of flights going through CLT with 5% each split between MIA, PHL, and DFW. Wide mix of travel days but all during the week or Sunday PM and a wide range of cities (BOS, BWI, IAH, MIA) but very few transcons. Used a couple of BXP1's for CLT-LAS and return but otherwise everything else has been CPU. 90% or so come at 100hr mark and only 1 was at the gate. Biggest surprise so far was PHL-CLT on a Thursday evening. Received the upgrade at 100hrs and the flight left with 54 people on upgrade list.

For a comparison I ran a status challenge with Delta at the beginning of the year and was around 40% as a PM over 15 segments or so. Whenever I have any thought of switching I figure that a marginally lower on time percentage will only result in a headache every once in a while and it's certainly bearable to almost always get upgraded and enjoy a stronger mileage program.
I assume you live in CLT? Your upgrade % sounds like mine when I live in phx.
You'd be at 40% in DFW like I am.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Just cleared 2 seats J to F on AA 20 DFW to LHR for Nov 16
Pretty impressed..
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Um...thanks, I guess?
Not sure why you are confused. You asked for advice on whether you should change your flight for the 14th or 15th. Up to you on what you want to do but if dates are not an issue, I would go with the day that you can get a better chance of upgrading.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
PHL => GLA

Upgraded @ <T24 hours with SWUs. AA 24, PHL => GLA, 8/25/2018, Mrs Remedy & me. Seats not together, but same row, window/aisle opposite sides. Hoping for the "dreaded switch" but happy to be up front.

Last edited by remedy; Aug 24, 2018 at 7:02 pm Reason: added content
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Not sure why you are confused. You asked for advice on whether you should change your flight for the 14th or 15th. Up to you on what you want to do but if dates are not an issue, I would go with the day that you can get a better chance of upgrading.
LOL. OP is confused (as am I) because the question was which day has better odds of upgrading -- 14th, or 15th? Your response (twice now) has been to go with the day that has the better odds of upgrading... That was the question!
T. Sanderson likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold
Dfw-PVG

I cleared both directions for DFW-PVG, leaving on 8/29, with first flight clearing when I made the request in late July and return flight a week later clearing about three weeks ago. This is with a paid + miles upgrade from premium economy to business.

I am Platinum and will cross over to Platinum Pro during this trip.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
This morning, booked award ticket for tomorrow, IAD-CLT-LAS. Cleared IAD-CLT before the ticket issued; cleared CLT-LAS at T-28 hours, just in time to special order a meal. Pretty good for a redemption ticket I thought.

Also booked award LAS-DFW-DCA for Tuesday, cleared LAS-DFW already.
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
For some reason unknown to man and all that is green on this earth, I cleared at #1 on the list (for one seat) out of 38 people on a Friday afternoon ORD-DFW flight.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Missed my first miles/systemwide upgrade ever on Saturday's AA78 (7:15 pm DFW-LHR). Frustrating, because the 10:10 departure was C3. I did ask at the DFW "premium" lounge about changing to the later flight (which would have required changing my LHR-MUC segment); no way to do it other than to re-ticket.

Fortunately, I was in W, and I don't sleep on TATLs anyway, so really not a problem.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Also booked award LAS-DFW-DCA for Tuesday, cleared LAS-DFW already.
...and, at T-27 hours, cleared DFW-DCA (for tomorrow a.m.) as EXP on an award ticket. Noticed in time to order Asian Veg breakfast. I guess it's a Tuesday, but definitely surprised to clear in advance when the flight is now showing J1.

edit to add: and zero of 27 cleared at the gate. Shocked to have cleared this one!

Last edited by platbrownguy; Aug 28, 2018 at 6:09 am
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
How are flights on Christmas (25th)? Is F typically full on this date or do I have a shot at an upgrade on the redeye from LAS to MIA?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Flying PHL-CDG on 9/1. EXP+1, paid Premium Economy with rolling EQD in the mid-$8K range. Returning 9/9 AMS-DFW again in paid Premium Economy and now my EQD's should be in the $9K range. Thoughts?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
How are flights on Christmas (25th)? Is F typically full on this date or do I have a shot at an upgrade on the redeye from LAS to MIA?
Xmas and New Year are usually light (and service is cheerful!), although I know nothing about LAS-MIA flights specifically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.