Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Just after I posted, I looked up the seat map on EF. I saw the seat I had selected in PY was empty, so I checked my reservation. Sure enough, cleared into J. Here’s hoping you have similar luck.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by rubikcube
Just after I posted, I looked up the seat map on EF. I saw the seat I had selected in PY was empty, so I checked my reservation. Sure enough, cleared into J. Here’s hoping you have similar luck.
I sometimes put my seat on "seat alert" in EF, so when I'm upgraded, I can change seats if desired.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
EXP with approx 30k 12 -month EQD

Booked on Aug 2, AA 912 SCL-MIA, Sept 16, on Y
Called EXP line, no C inventory available, put on waitlist.
On Aug 4, I got an EF alert of C inventory available at 9:32 AM Chile time (missed the alert, busy not checking emails)
Later that day, at 12:30 PM Chile time, I got an email from AA with the rebooked ticket, upgraded into J.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
EXP, traveling with my wife (on a separate reservation, but normally having also inherited my status).

For the outbound (GRU-LAX-HKG - fantastic use of the SWUs), we both cleared at time of booking for GRU-LAX; but for LAX-HKG, only one seat in C was available. I gave it to the wife, and wait-listed myself. About 2 weeks later - and about 2 months before the trip - I also cleared into business on the LAX-HKG. So far, so good.

For our return (PEK-DFW-MIA-GRU, with stopover in Miami) - we've both wait-listed on all sectors. When requesting the upgrades, I asked that we be allowed to clear one at a time, so that piece-meal release of seats wouldn't doom us to being constantly skipped on the list. My question is: since we both have the identical status (EXP with identical EQD, namely, mine) - if only one seat is available at a time, will the system clear her, or me first? Does it make any difference? If so, how can we influence this?

For now, the J seat-maps look pretty empty on PEK-DFW (AA262, 4-Oct) and MIA-GRU (AA995, 7-Oct) seem fairly open... but this is no indication of actual inventory still for sale, so who knows what sort of chances we actually have.

UPDATE: Just one day after posting the question above, my upgrade cleared into "C" for PEK-DFW, while my wife's did not. I called in to the EXP desk to ask if we could switch, and two separate agents told me this wasn't possible. Presumably, since I cleared, and she was supposed to have identical status to my own, she'd be next in line. But contrary to the policy posted here, these agents both told me that my wife's priority on the upgrade waitlist would only be based on her own status (none), not on mine. I have a hard time believing them, but if true, it's not cool. Until day of travel, I have no way to know where she is on the list - and if she hasn't cleared by then, if she's not listed correctly, I suppose it will too late to do anything about it. For something that's supposed to be a treat (SWU), this is much more annoying a process than it should be!

Last edited by checkerboard; Aug 7, 2018 at 7:59 am Reason: Update
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by beachfan
I sometimes put my seat on "seat alert" in EF, so when I'm upgraded, I can change seats if desired.
That's a great idea - does it release the seat though for mileage or SWU's right away - I noticed normally you have to call in. Great way to tell if a 500 mile/comp upgrade cleared
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by rubikcube

One of the interesting things about your flight is that the seat map is half empty, but R, D, and I are all 0. The next Saturday, the return flight from HKG-DFW shows J1 with a similar map. I typically view this as bad for upgrade chances, but it’s strange considering the seat map (which we all know is limited in usefulness).
I also found that interesting. Shortly after buying the ticket it was J7 R7 D7, but changed to J7 R0 D0 a couple of weeks ago. I have to assume that nobody bought J during that time, and AA decided for some reason to stop selling anything but full fare around 3 weeks prior to departure.

Unless there’s a bunch of full-fare tix sold in the next 10 days, or unless the flight is swamped with EXPs and CKs in Y, I would rate my chances as fair to timidly good.

Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mcrw00

I also found that interesting. Shortly after buying the ticket it was J7 R7 D7, but changed to J7 R0 D0 a couple of weeks ago. I have to assume that nobody bought J during that time, and AA decided for some reason to stop selling anything but full fare around 3 weeks prior to departure.

Unless there’s a bunch of full-fare tix sold in the next 10 days, or unless the flight is swamped with EXPs and CKs in Y, I would rate my chances as fair to timidly good.
The issue is, EF caps out at 7 on the fare buckets. So the flight could have been J15 R7 D7 in reality. They sold 7 out of the R/D buckets, 1 J and ended up with J7 R0 D0.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Emerald Club
I probably won't make elite anymore for sometime. Yet I have 2 stickers (not even 3) in my account.
Are these basically useless or can I gift them to another Advantage member?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by jadc82
I probably won't make elite anymore for sometime. Yet I have 2 stickers (not even 3) in my account.
I asked the moderators to move this to the dedicated Stickers thread as that’s a better place for it. But to answer your question, they are unfortunately useless unless and until you requalify for elite status.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
On Tuesday pm - DEN-DFW, CK boarding call had 12 line up! Seriously. I think only 3 were in J. 48 hrs out EF showed 0/0/0 up front. I with 13k rolling was #8 on the upgrade list.

Next to me in exit was a guy, also EP that did AUS-DFW-DEN on Sunday and was returning Tuesday afternoon. He had gone 0 for 4 on this trip.

I was upgraded for the DFW-DCA leg that evening. at T-72. Usually that’s tight.

DEN in the past was unpredictable in and out of DFW, in ski season sometimes it’s pretty bad, even midweek. But it has been increasingly tight year round now. Not to/from ORD, mostly DFW in my experience. No theory on this disparity.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Chances of clearing with stickers?

9/20 (Thurs) AA 2215 ORD-PHL
9/20 (Thurs) AA 845 PHL-PUJ

Currently Gold with <$2k EQD & flying with a companion

Last edited by AAdamE; Aug 10, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jadc82
In theory you could use them if an elite got you a domestic upgrade as a companion. A non-elite used to be able to get a sticker upgrade on a full Y fare, but that appears to be no longer the case. However, as a practical matter they are useless until you get elite status again. You cannot transfer stickers to another member. I had four that I earned as a Gold in 1999 that sat in my account until 2010 when I got elite status again. Of course, if current trends continue they will be very difficult to use even if you do find yourself a Gold or Platinum again. Upgrades for those folks are increasingly elusive, and if you are a higher level elite you won't need the stickers.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Stripe
In theory you could use them if an elite got you a domestic upgrade as a companion. A non-elite used to be able to get a sticker upgrade on a full Y fare, but that appears to be no longer the case. However, as a practical matter they are useless until you get elite status again. You cannot transfer stickers to another member. I had four that I earned as a Gold in 1999 that sat in my account until 2010 when I got elite status again. Of course, if current trends continue they will be very difficult to use even if you do find yourself a Gold or Platinum again. Upgrades for those folks are increasingly elusive, and if you are a higher level elite you won't need the stickers.
I don't think that's true, everytime I try to use my wife's stickers for her when she gets upgraded with me, I'm told they have to come from my account.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:49 pm

PIT to SIN, best routing for upgrade chance?

Hi, I need to fly from PIT to SIN on or around 10/5. Looking at google flights, it seems I can connect through DFW or ORD, then HKG or NRT. I would like to upgrade to business using miles+copay and I am currently Gold status with $3.5-$4k 12 month EQD. Does anyone have suggestions on which route will be the most likely to clear an upgrade on the trans pacific leg?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AAdamE
Chances of clearing with stickers?

9/20 (Thurs) AA 2215 ORD-PHL
9/20 (Thurs) AA 845 PHL-PUJ

Currently Gold with <$2k EQD & flying with a companion
Impossible to say without knowing more details, however historically flights to the Caribbean in the off season are not too difficult to clear for any elite level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.