Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
07/27 DFW-CLT & 07/29 CLT-DFW both upgrades cleared. Plat elite with ~$18k rolling EQD.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Finsup72
Low probability unless you're a CK or maybe EXP - assuming you're on AA2726, ExpertFlyer is currently showing J1 Y1 which means it's nearly sold-out in both business and coach.
Oh wow, I wonder if AA will oversell the flight.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Trying my luck with a PY to J upgrade on DFW-HKG Aug 18.

Got on the list when I purchased the ticket in late May. At that time EF showed J7, and it has stayed that way up until the present. First is at F3.

I am not familiar with this route, but in the case of Tokyo routes IME more than 7 premium seats open less than a month prior to departure indicates a relatively good chance of my upgrade clearing. Can the same be said for HKG, or is this a route that tends to see a lot of last-minute J/F purchases?

Also, is it safe to say that there will be enough J pax on the F u/g list to fill any of those 3 F seats that are still vacant come departure time?

I do not want to get a false sense of hope since I know that this is a very difficult upgrade to get, even more so on Saturday, but on the other hand the current snapshot of seat availability seems decent...
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AA GLD
I am flying POS-MIA on AA2282 on August 8. I am using a SWU for this flight. Can anyone tell me the chances of me being upgraded?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
SFO-JFK; A321T, Wed night redeye - cleared 40 hours out
JFK-BOS; A321T, Thu morning - cleared 100 hours out

About $27k in rolling, ttm EQD and haven't missed an upgrade since April and only three segments missed this year (with most clearing 30-100 hours in advance).
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Brandontheflyer
I am flying POS-MIA on AA2282 on August 8. I am using a SWU for this flight. Can anyone tell me the chances of me being upgraded?
That flight is currently J4 C0, hard to tell at this point whether J will sell out in advance.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AA GLD
Originally Posted by Finsup72
That flight is currently J4 C0, hard to tell at this point whether J will sell out in advance.
Thanks for the info. My SWU just cleared
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by mcrw00
Trying my luck with a PY to J upgrade on DFW-HKG Aug 18.

Got on the list when I purchased the ticket in late May. At that time EF showed J7, and it has stayed that way up until the present. First is at F3.

I am not familiar with this route, but in the case of Tokyo routes IME more than 7 premium seats open less than a month prior to departure indicates a relatively good chance of my upgrade clearing. Can the same be said for HKG, or is this a route that tends to see a lot of last-minute J/F purchases?

Also, is it safe to say that there will be enough J pax on the F u/g list to fill any of those 3 F seats that are still vacant come departure time?

I do not want to get a false sense of hope since I know that this is a very difficult upgrade to get, even more so on Saturday, but on the other hand the current snapshot of seat availability seems decent...
I’m doing the exact same thing on 8/19 and wondering the same thing. It looks like today there were 16 people on the upgrade list and more than half showed as cleared. Other days over the past week have shown every person on the upgrade list clearing. It looked like quite a few cleared into PE though. I’ve had good success on TATL routes in that situation as an EXP, but don’t have much experience over the pacific.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by rubikcube

I’m doing the exact same thing on 8/19 and wondering the same thing. It looks like today there were 16 people on the upgrade list and more than half showed as cleared. Other days over the past week have shown every person on the upgrade list clearing. It looked like quite a few cleared into PE though. I’ve had good success on TATL routes in that situation as an EXP, but don’t have much experience over the pacific.
How are you able to see the upgrade list on days when you aren't flying?

Also, are complimentary Y to PE upgrades tracked on the same upgrade list as upgrades to J and F?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Flying SFO-JFK-GIG on Thursday. GIG-JFK-SFO next Tuesday.

SWUs cleared on booking. ^
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Late afternoon last Sunday... AUS-DFW, #12 on the list, sat in Y. Two or three cleared at the gate. DFW-SNA, #1 on the list, cleared at the gate. Just me, although several had cleared earlier.

Late morning Wednesday... DFW-SNA, #1 of 9 on the list, cleared at the gate after one confirmed passenger failed to check in. DFW-AUS cleared at T-104.

Rolling EQDs probably a bit under $12K.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:04 am

How are you able to see the upgrade list on days when you aren't flying?

Also, are complimentary Y to PE upgrades tracked on the same upgrade list as upgrades to J and F?
You can view it through the app by looking at the flight status within 4 hours of departure. Keep in mind that the list doesn’t include anyone who cleared in advance, so it’s impossible to know how many cleared before. Today, there were 8 on the list and only 1 cleared to J. However, it looked like many more may have cleared yesterday.

Do you have status on AA?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by rubikcube

You can view it through the app by looking at the flight status within 4 hours of departure. Keep in mind that the list doesn’t include anyone who cleared in advance, so it’s impossible to know how many cleared before. Today, there were 8 on the list and only 1 cleared to J. However, it looked like many more may have cleared yesterday.

Do you have status on AA?
EXP. Haven't calculated what my rolling EQDs will be by 8/18, but should be right around the 12K mark.

I'll keep you updated.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Exp with ~28k
Sun 7/29 BUR-PHX no upgrade, BUR-IND at ~48
Thu 8/2 IND-PHX no upgrade, PHX-BUR at ~100 but missed connection after detour to TUS and back to PHX
Fri 8/3 PHX-SAN at door close, SAN-LAX no upgrade
Sun 8/5 LAX-DFW waitlisted SWU but complimentary hit instead at 48, DFW-IND at 47 also complimentary

It's been all over the map. Flights I expect to upgrade I don't, tough flights (DFW-LAX 789) I do. I blame it on leisure travelers.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:19 pm

EXP. Haven't calculated what my rolling EQDs will be by 8/18, but should be right around the 12K mark.

I'll keep you updated.
One of the interesting things about your flight is that the seat map is half empty, but R, D, and I are all 0. The next Saturday, the return flight from HKG-DFW shows J1 with a similar map. I typically view this as bad for upgrade chances, but it’s strange considering the seat map (which we all know is limited in usefulness).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.