Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; AA EXP / 2MM Lifetime Platnum; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lds89
I had the return (HND-LAX) back in October. It was J2 and C0 with three seats open on the seat map. I set a C alert too and ~30 hours before flight time the EF alert (C1) came through - I immediately contacted AA on twitter and secured the upgrade within 10 minutes. Not sure if I jumped the queue as a result, because only 2 people cleared at the gate and the list had 7-8 people on it. So keep an eye out on the C space.

for you cabins look fairly empty so far (both J7+) so good luck!

I think it might be a little harder going forward now because the plane is changed to a 789 instead of the 772. Its down to 30 J seats from 37 in the 772.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by tasty_chicken
Can anybody share about their experience with SWU's clearing for AA27/26 LAX/HND. I'm booked leaving 4/26 with return on 4/30. Expert Flyer shows 0 C award space as of today but I've set alerts.
The end of your trip coincides with the start of Golden Week. Not sure how that will affect your chances, but expect things to be crowded.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by george 3
Received a pleasant surprise 48 hours out that I was upgraded on tomorrow morning LGA DFW flight. Rare. In fact, all four of my segments were upgraded this trip.
I did LGA / DFW in September / October and was 3/4 for upgrades. I really thought it was a popular route but apparently not and I've cleared 100 hours for one of the flights. I am flying this route later in the year and fairly confident it will be upgraded. For me the hardest upgrades are JFK - SFO and I just booked a ticket yesterday for a trip in 2 weeks.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by nanaflyer
I think it might be a little harder going forward now because the plane is changed to a 789 instead of the 772. Its down to 30 J seats from 37 in the 772.
That's a good point, I had the 772
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I love flying in Jan.....both my UPG's on LGA-ORD-LGA cleared at the window recently for my work trip. I'll be having the "beef filet" tomorrow night back to NYC. It has been hard to get ORD-LGA to clear anything but at the gate during Q3/Q4 in 2017.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
What's the "easiest" route for J upgrade to LHR?

Hi all, I'll be traveling to London in October and have my choice of almost every hub to connect through (LAX, PHX, ORD, DFW, CLT). In your experience, what is my best choice for the easiest, or most likely, SWU upgrade to biz?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by infinite97
Hi all, I'll be traveling to London in October and have my choice of almost every hub to connect through (LAX, PHX, ORD, DFW, CLT). In your experience, what is my best choice for the easiest, or most likely, SWU upgrade to biz?
There are so many factors that go into predicting chances of clearing that it's hard to say definitively that one hub is better than others. That being said, I would probably generally pick ORD or JFK.

DFW has too many EXPs. PHL and CLT probably have a lot of EXPs, too, and the A330 only has 20 or 28 business class seats. LAX could be tough because it's a relatively longer flight, although the 77W does have more J seats, so that might be a close third in my book.

However, it's hard to say anything categorically here, so take what I've said with a grain of salt.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
There are so many factors that go into predicting chances of clearing that it's hard to say definitively that one hub is better than others. That being said, I would probably generally pick ORD or JFK.

DFW has too many EXPs. PHL and CLT probably have a lot of EXPs, too, and the A330 only has 20 or 28 business class seats. LAX could be tough because it's a relatively longer flight, although the 77W does have more J seats, so that might be a close third in my book.

However, it's hard to say anything categorically here, so take what I've said with a grain of salt.

Thanks. Coming from PDX, so can't do JFK without making another stop, which isn't worth it. Appreciate the help
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Thanks. Coming from PDX, so can't do JFK without making another stop, which isn't worth it. Appreciate the help
I'd go LAX. And if you can wiggle your dates, try a Tuesday or Wednesday.

Plus you get the longer flight, which makes it better to sleep. JFK-LHR is short enough that I'm still tired no matter whether in Y or J or F.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Really don't like Northeast US-LHR.....too short and no matter what cabin I'm in I still feel like crap the following day.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
I'd go LAX. And if you can wiggle your dates, try a Tuesday or Wednesday.

Plus you get the longer flight, which makes it better to sleep. JFK-LHR is short enough that I'm still tired no matter whether in Y or J or F.
yes, we'll be going wed > wed. I also prefer the long LAX > LHR flights! More time in the bigger seat is always appreciated.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
yes, we'll be going wed > wed. I also prefer the long LAX > LHR flights! More time in the bigger seat is always appreciated.
Have you checked to see if upgrades are available now for your dates? It doesn’t look like there is much out there but I did see a LHR - DFW with 2 SWU available for one Wednesday in October. If your dates are flexible it might be worth a bit a research.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Really don't like Northeast US-LHR.....too short and no matter what cabin I'm in I still feel like crap the following day.
Agreed, which is why, generally speaking, I would say JFK-LHR is an easier upgrade than LAX-LHR. If we are talking about the best upgrade, of course LAX-LHR is more worth it. A Wednesday departure, however, might increase odds of a LAX-LHR clearing.

Since OP is not traveling until October (10 months away), and since there is no longer a benefit (at least in terms of upgrade chances) to book and request upgrades early, maybe OP should wait to book, unless the price is especially attractive at the moment. OP can between now and then monitor availability and book whichever route has C space open up. The chance of clearing an upgrade then becomes 100%.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I recently started a EF subscription and have a question for the mob. For intra-US flights, does one need to also wait for C space to be available to book into next class be it F/J on two class aircraft? Is there a forum/thread for EF DIY learning?
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I recently started a EF subscription and have a question for the mob. For intra-US flights, does one need to also wait for C space to be available to book into next class be it F/J on two class aircraft? Is there a forum/thread for EF DIY learning?
Thanks in advance.
This is probably your best bet. ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

When you say for intra-US flights.... are you looking to use a SWU/miles-copay? If so, yes, it is C for Y to J and A from J to F. About a year ago, AA standardized their fare buckets.. so while it is called FIRST domestically, and BUSINESS internationally (for 2 class flights), they both use J for full fare, C for upgrade and U for milesaver awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.