Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by McSam18
Thoughts on chances for upgrades as a Gold on a Monday night, 8:20pm flight from PHL to BNA and a Tuesday evening, 6:28pm flight from BNA to DCA? Still a few weeks out, but both flights are empty in F according to EF.
I wouldn't burn your 500 mile upgrades on these quickies.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by tasty_chicken
Can anybody share about their experience with SWU's clearing for AA27/26 LAX/HND. I'm booked leaving 4/26 with return on 4/30. Expert Flyer shows 0 C award space as of today but I've set alerts.
Just an update. My SWU confirmed yesterday on AA27 LAX-HND. There are 2 more C spaces available for anyone else who might be heading in the same direction. Still waiting on AA26.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
I would. You're unlikely to be able to use them on longer flights. I redeem stickers on 700 mile flights all the time and have over 20 left still.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jpb5101

Both are longshots and hard to say before they start clearing for EXP etc.. if F looks fairly empty the day before then you have a chance.
Good advice, thank you!

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Normally I agree, but....

Originally Posted by no1cub17
I would. You're unlikely to be able to use them on longer flights. I redeem stickers on 700 mile flights all the time and have over 20 left still.
Agreed. These are kinda of use it or lose it sort of deal for me. Personal domestic travel is paid F, but this is an unusual work travel situation. Personal travel will be down this year, so I doubt I requalify for Gold.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by jpb5101
On a decent streak of my last six clearing. Was recently on DFW-DEN and cleared after boarding before we pushed back. EXP but 4/21 on the list, but they ended up clearing six seats after boarding. Assuming a family missed their original flight / or connection, since I noticed F was pretty empty when I boarded.
I have done ok this year, actually excellent. 17/18 legs so far. Only fail was this past Wednesday coming back to DCA from ORD. The storm - my leg was CANX so I did standby on the next one and was grateful to be in 19C. Cant complain.

Haven’t commented on this thread yet this year. I am pretty impressed with upgrades clearing at or near T-100. Except for some reason DFW-DEN...I think it was convention traffic ‘buying up’ for these trips.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AATrout
I have done ok this year, actually excellent. 17/18 legs so far. Only fail was this past Wednesday coming back to DCA from ORD. The storm - my leg was CANX so I did standby on the next one and was grateful to be in 19C. Cant complain.
Wow. EXP husband is 3/18.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Wow. EXP husband is 3/18.
You've posted this before and I still am shocked. I'm batting probably 90 something % and the ones I have missed are last minute IAH-DFW flights which seem to have 40 people on the waitlist and one DFW-DEN flight that was J0 when I booked it.

It may be worth dropping a note to AA to just have them check. I had a 3 month period a few years where I either wasn't on the UG list or was in some absolutely incorrect position (and I know because a PLT friend cleared at the gate before I did). Now, it may just be your husbands travel patterns and EQD thats causing this, but 3/18 seems shockingly low.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdang
I know that I cant upgrade from coach to first. I only mentioned the 2 first class was open if 2 business class seats upgraded to 1st, then there would have been 2 business class seat open and I would have been upgraded. But that didn't happen.

If I requested my upgraded earlier 3-4 weeks prior there were a ton of open seats similar to the LAX-HKG flight that I might have gotten a chance to upgrade.

I'm just trying reinforcing the notion that LAX-HKG-LAX is easier to upgrade if a gold with no EQD can upgrade putting a request 3 weeks before the flight.
I wish AA would cabin roll J to F to clear more Upgrades. It costs AA nothing to do this, it actually helps them get miles+copay through the door (and SWUs used).

Why not?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He was at about 14K EQD's last year. This week he was number 2 on the waitlist LAX-JFK. Number 9 and 10 were upgraded from Business to First after boarding, no one else. AA says "business went out full" but won't say what happened to those 2 business seats. I suspect non-rev as he said several did not board when groups 1-4 boarded. He was number 5 coming back JFK-LAX, one got upgraded.

But that's a pretty typical pattern for this year. He's anywhere from 2 to 5 on the list and 0 to 2 people get upgraded, but not him. So I think he is in the right spot on the list for his EQDs.

It is really discouraging though. He's even been talking about just not wanting to do his job anymore.

The year is 25% over. 18 domestic flights, 3 upgrades. 19.9% of the way to qualifying again as an EXP on EQD's, 30.7% on EQM's. This will be his 11th year as an EXP if he does requal.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
He was at about 14K EQD's last year. ....
No offense, but 14k EQDs is very low. I am about 25k rolling EQDs and have missed quite a few upgrades this year, particularly hub to hub routes. Typically I am in the 5 or 6 position on any CLT or DFW flight, and many go out full F without clearing anyone off the list.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I'm only 50% upgrading on LAX-MIA so far, and I'm using miles and copay - still usually 2 or 3 on the list, and they've been going out full ever since they cut out the 77W. Even now with the 772 back in the schedule for a few weeks, still often going out full. Of the 4 successes, two were upgrades confirmable in advance with miles/copay (before they clamped down on that) the other two were battlefield (but still SWUs). If I relied on my Exp Status for complimentary, I'd be 0 for 8.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Uzzar
No offense, but 14k EQDs is very low. I am about 25k rolling EQDs and have missed quite a few upgrades this year, particularly hub to hub routes. Typically I am in the 5 or 6 position on any CLT or DFW flight, and many go out full F without clearing anyone off the list.
Yeah, 14k is on the lower end. I'm around there myself (somewhere in the 14-16k range), and found myself 23rd on the list last month for a Monday evening DFW-BOS! (It was a holiday weekend, so the date/time is comparable to a Sunday evening flight.)
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Uzzar
No offense taken, but after 10 years of 70 to 80 percent and not really changing domestic flying patterns it is tough to to have everything turned upside down.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:45 pm

Cost Rica SJO>PHX flt 2803 elite upgrade sucess? (to merge)

Anyone here familiar with San Jose Costa Rica SJO>PHX in March and early April for elite upgrades for Plat and Exec Plats? Do you clear?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
Yeah, 14k is on the lower end. I'm around there myself (somewhere in the 14-16k range), and found myself 23rd on the list last month for a Monday evening DFW-BOS! (It was a holiday weekend, so the date/time is comparable to a Sunday evening flight.)
It is rolling 12 month EQD vs last year EQD for upgrade priority too. So, if you had a heavily front loaded 2017.. that has just about passed the 12 month threshold.

I had a couple of 5k+ EQD flights in Jan and Feb 2017.. rest of 2017 was relatively quiet. Definitely noticed come end of Feb, I dropped from the 1-2 spot to 4-5 and then lower. Slowly climbing back up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.