Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

My Colleague Was Bumped from Upgraded F Seat by a Celeb

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Colleague Was Bumped from Upgraded F Seat by a Celeb

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by kb9522

It’s not his seat. It’s AAs. They expressly reserve the right to change seats per the CoC.

OP’s colleague paid for a Y seat, and that’s precisely what he flew in. So even beyond the legalese, OPs colleague (or OP) would have had no grounds to even be remotely annoyed about this.

Of course he has a reason to be annoyed. Strongly annoyed. It's a contract of adhesion, and folks act like that's an agreement between equals. What if he had paid for the F seat, and was bumped to coach because someone was more famous or paid more. Also within the CoC.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
your buddy is a tool. with a printed boarding pass, there is no way i would get out of my seat.

Edit: spelling error - colleague is correct
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nrr
It would be interesting to see how the scenario would have played out if the pax refused to vacate HIS seat?.
Video of an F passenger throwing a tantrum and getting forcibly dragged back to economy would vastly improve AA's standing with the general public
Uzzar likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Never heard of this guy.
PTravel and apeortdz like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Ck

Well I feel that once you have a printed BP and your butt is in the seat (especially as a CK) it’s not cool to be asked to switch and paraded about the cabin with all your stuff. If they are waiting on paid F they better be damn sure the person isn’t showing up — then it can be a last minute upgrade from your economy seat (even more exacting).

What other products/services are you handed then the brand pulls it back and says never mind (mistake airline fares, I suppose).
PTravel and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by beachfan
Of course he has a reason to be annoyed. Strongly annoyed. It's a contract of adhesion, and folks act like that's an agreement between equals. What if he had paid for the F seat, and was bumped to coach because someone was more famous or paid more. Also within the CoC.
He still would have no room to argue. Though I think the CoC does provide for a refund of the fare difference if that occurs.

Of course this is a nonsensical hypothetical since, AFAIK, the system does not currently allow for TAs to do what you described.

Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by JBauer
Well I feel that once you have a printed BP and your butt is in the seat (especially as a CK) it’s not cool to be asked to switch and paraded about the cabin with all your stuff. If they are waiting on paid F they better be damn sure the person isn’t showing up — then it can be a last minute upgrade from your economy seat (even more exacting).

What other products/services are you handed then the brand pulls it back and says never mind (mistake airline fares, I suppose).
You’re absolutely right in that it’s not cool. But it’s difficult to justify getting angry about it considering the rules are unambiguous, well published, and well known.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:41 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

You’re absolutely right in that it’s not cool. But it’s difficult to justify getting angry about it considering the rules are unambiguous, well published, and well known.
Yes, for FTers. When I buy a ticket on aa.com I'm agreeing to the "rules", but never read them, I'd conjecture that 1% read them.
If AA forced pax to open the rule page and scroll through it but (still not read it), AA could then retort that I "read" the rules.
Do many/any* flyers even know about a CoC?
*except FTers.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
Yes, for FTers. When I buy a ticket on aa.com I'm agreeing to the "rules", but never read them, I'd conjecture that 1% read them.
If AA forced pax to open the rule page and scroll through it but (still not read it), AA could then retort that I "read" the rules.
Do many/any* flyers even know about a CoC?
*except FTers.
Ignorance does not invalidate the agreement.

It is always incumbent on both parties entering an agreement to understand what it is they are agreeing to. This is just common sense.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

He still would have no room to argue. Though I think the CoC does provide for a refund of the fare difference if that occurs.

Of course this is a nonsensical hypothetical since, AFAIK, the system does not currently allow for TAs to do what you described.

Argue was not the issue I responded to. The claim was made that nobody should feel "remotely annoyed".
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Argue was not the issue I responded to. The claim was made that nobody should feel "remotely annoyed".
No need to be pedantic. You can’t be annoyed about something if you agreed to allow it to happen.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jacobguo
Never heard of this guy.
Aren't you special then?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by nrr
Doesn't this fall into the Dr. Dao UA incident category? CK has a bp issued 24 hours earlier (I assume he checked in at T-24) for a FC seat, the GA must have scanned his bp and let pax board the plane, he is now seated in the seat listed on his bp. It would be interesting to see how the scenario would have played out if the pax refused to vacate HIS seat?--being dragged off the plane AND a few million $ richer.
It's only an incident if the airline, among every staff member involved, lacks the two brain cells required to not drag a customer out of their seat. To this day, AA has always managed to scrounge up those two brain cells, including in this situation. UA's spectacular failure has no relation to this incident.

Though, in any event, a security guard who can get Primetime out of his seat could probably be earning significantly more doing something else.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:14 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Personally I would think either $200 or 15K miles to be an appropriate compensation for downgrading a CK member especially after letting the customer board. This is not about entitlement or anything but more about a gesture of appreciation towards an individual HVC customer that brings in excess of $50K in revenue annually for the airline. That gesture should be proactively issued by the GA (after all it's the GA that makes the call to oversell or deny boarding once a flight goes under gate control) as proactive resolution with compassion almost always results in a customer continuing to feel positive about the situation/relationship with the airline as opposed to reactionary resolution with no face to face interaction.

This is an area that AA has lost most of its touch in the past couple of years unfortunately but that is more of a management issue.

Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:27 am

What is this well known rule about when it is ok to displace an existing boarded passenger into a lower cab to sell a fare or accomodate a SDC on a paid fare, and how does this rule differentiate award tickets from paid tickets in J and to upgraded tickets from coach? Serious question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.