Which is AA's nastiest gate?

Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I've flown from/to/through CLT for nearly 20 years. Its only problem, to me, is that it's way, way, way overcrowded. (Plus no lounges for non-AA passengers, which doesn't affect me.)

CLT doesn't have many weather delays or congestion delays. It's also a dream to get to; you just exit I-85 and just about drive right up to the airport, or if you're coming from Charlotte itself, it's a breeze (even on mass transit). Overall, it's way better than LGA, EWR or JFK.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
All of LGA.

While 35X isn't the best, you do have access to the general terminal and the AC and can generally just show up ~20 minutes before the flight. On the CRJs from this gate, early boarding doesn't really matter as there is no FC / have to gate-check, so I'm fine with the bus (though would love the new terminal once it's finished!).

The LGA B terminal just has terrible food options, all of the gates are usually crowded and many of the nicer loungers (eg. Centurion Club) are before security. I guess this is more terrible terminal rather than gate, but it is what it is.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
CLT, for connections, isn't bad. I've had very few IROPS problems there over the years...I was a US guy for a few years and always opted for it or PIT over PHL PHL was awful.

LGA is kind of like a third-world bus depot, except most third-world bus depots I've been in are cleaned more regularly and have nicer toilets.
AAdamE likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Just had an odd experience at CLT yesterday at D-10. Incoming flight was delayed and then an international flight arrived at D-12. Evidently to get the international passengers into the terminal they had to seal off D-10 for about 45 minutes to fully clear the plane at D-12 before we were allowed to board. A peculiar airport design feature.

But otherwise the crowded airport seemed ok but I did not check out the E Concourse.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Just flew through MCI and it reminded me of how terrible the whole thing is set up, at least around gates 80-85. Doesn't hold a candle to 35X or LGA in terms of awfulness, but it's pretty bad.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Clearly you folks have never flown out of BPT ;-)
Been through there multiple times, 35X at DCA is still the worst IMO.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Great Thread

This is one of those threads you enjoy reading from the first post to the most recent.

Hilarious and informative.
salut0 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jcatman
This is one of those threads you enjoy reading from the first post to the most recent.

Hilarious and informative.
Agreed. I learned what 35X is - thanks to everyone who answered my questions about it.

While LGA is worse, the issue is LGA as an airport is crap. So the delta between the airport's bad and the AA gate bad is much smaller than what DCA vs DCA 35X seems to be. (Similarly as bad as the LAX Eagle's nest is, LAX itself is a cluster, so not unique to AA)
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by gradboozer
Been through there multiple times, 35X at DCA is still the worst IMO.
At least there are concrete plans to do away with 35X in the nearish future. I think the second worst set of gates are the F Gates at PHL, with A East at PHL as a runner up.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
D60 Gates MIA

My summer of mileage running to PTY in 2016 introduced me to the D60 gates at MIA.

You take the escalator DOWN, and that is so appropriate. About 800 people, standing in a mosh pit. Gate agents that literally ignore the passengers while they talk among themselves in Spanish. Don't get too excited when your boarding group is called and you have your pass scanned, because once you reach the door of the aircraft you will be stopped and asked to wait in line outside because the plane is not quite ready for passengers. Try to ignore the 95% humidity as you stand in that line.

The entire experience is the closest you'll ever come to Havana without actually flying to Cuba.

Last edited by jcatman; Dec 19, 2017 at 7:20 am
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
LGA Term B gate D9F thoughts.

While I personally enjoy being on the tarmac (wx pending), it can be a hassle for others. Had a gentlemen with mobility/handicap issues with a walker. He was the last to deplane. AA employees and copilot helped him onto shuttle bus.

Then back to D9F, he had to make it up the stairs as there was no elevator. That held up the whole line of people (figure about a dozen as this was the 2nd shuttle bus) going up the stairs as he went slowly. While this helped delay the time I would have to wait to get to baggage claim, it only added 3 minutes. But I can see if others had connecting flights, how it would be a hassle.

That being said, I liked the quiet secluded environment that D9F offers...
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
On Friday the line for the LAX Eagle's Nest shuttle to the main terminal was past the entrance to the Admirals Club. Had never seen it that bad before
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
That line has become embarrassing.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
That line has become embarrassing.
It has gotten really bad. They need an elite line .

On a more positive note they have been much quicker this ski season getting those bags out from Gate 52 flights than last. I almost lost my mind last season waiting 90 minutes for my bag from Aspen
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
PHL Gate * **

(or for the old techies, X99 COMP-3)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.