Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2 SWU @ at 150k, 200k EQM; Worth flying more to get them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 SWU @ at 150k, 200k EQM; Worth flying more to get them?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maītre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I was in exactly the same boat a month ago (about 14000 short by end of the year) and made the decision it wasn't worth it - instead of a SWU I can use Miles+Copay and that sets the value of the SWU at around $350-ish. Earning 14000 extra miles for less than $700 didn't seem likely.

As it turned out I hit irregular operations on both my last two flights of the year and picked at 15000 extra EQMs and got my extra SWUs at no cost.

For you I think it very unlikely you can find a worthwhile trip - 20000 EQMs would need a 6700 mile trip in Premium economy or better on a partner airline, or a 5000 mile trip in discount business on AA, or a 3400 mile trip in full fare business on AA. Such distances are not very affordable at this time of year.
Could you please share how one can accrue 15,000 EQM from OSO / IROPS? That would be valuable information!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by JDiver
Could you please share how one can accrue 15,000 EQM from OSO / IROPS? That would be valuable information!
I imagine it takes special circumstances but I can see how it's possible and the following can get fairly close - maybe not right to net 15,000. You're flying LAX-HKG ticket booked in discount Y that costs ~$300 and an SWU used for a confirmed upgrade. Flight goes IRROPS and they protect the SWU. The lazy agent rebooks you in J. Your EQM goes from 7,260 one way to 3x to 21,780 for a net increase of 14,500

on a less egregious scale, this just happened to me on HKG-LAX-SFO - but on the LAX-SFO leg. A $30 sector of my Y ticket that was comp upgraded into R was super delayed and so I got them to put me on the earlier flight. I was rebooked into a J fare and got 1,500 eqms instead of the 500 minimum.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by lds89
If it were 5k miles, that's a different story
Indeed. Doing DFW-BNA-MIA-DFW in F for $460 on Tuesday for precisely this reason.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I struggle with the same situation, being only 3,500 EQM short of the next threshold for 2 more SWUs. But based in TPE, I'm not finding any decent fares this month on CX/JL/MH to make it worthwhile. It'd cost me at least $650 in a tkt(s) plus an overnight someplace, and the SWUs just don't offer that value to me, as I typically purchase Business fares and upgrade to F. To me, the difference in J and F on the ex-HKG flights isn't big enough to warrant that spend. If I were in the States and could hop on a mid-continental r/t for a couple hundred bucks, that'd be a different story.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
Weird. I am at 130K EQM too. I am not thinking of more flying than my holiday trips, it strikes me as odd that 130K seems to be such a common pausing place. At least for this thread
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
Exactly as someone described - rebooking from discount Y into J on international flights takes from 1* multiplier to 3* multiplier and this happened twice on flights of 3500-4000 miles.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I stopped flying this year at 187K, could have made a trip but to BOM to clean up so loose ends with work, but opted to credit for next year, getting 2 additional SWU at 200K, with no other benefit just does not seem worth it to me,
only used 4 SWU this year and that was a ATL-LAX with my daughter where I did not want to play the wait and see game, still have 7 left for next year to use.
(find myself using other OW partners who have great business class fares to BOM instead of the AA/BA connections)
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA MM, EXP, Marriot Gold
I would give someone two of mine not to have to fly 20,000 more miles, but I only fly domestic and just barely crossed 150, the swu just is not likely to have a high value for me, can't see myself going international enough to use more than 4
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
For that distance and probable cost, totally not worth it.

Last year I did a 4,000 mile run (DEN-PHX-MIA-DEN) that I could write off (did some business in Miami that day) for about $300 to hit 150k. I thought that would be worth it based on the math (2 SWUs @ $600 each). Save the time and money.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Including my holiday travel, it looks like I will end at:

EQD - $20,005
EQS - 134
EQM - 132,851

Definitely not going to try to cram a run in during Christmas week just for 2 more SWUs.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: AA-EXP
I was in a similar situation where I was stuck at ~130k, but I was also shy $1000 EQD’s to get to EXP. in my case it was worth it to fly the 20k while trying to qualify for EXP. I crossed the 150k threshold with my runs but ended up a $1 short on EQD’s. Luckily a last minute work trip cropped up, so I can get that last EQD and claim my 6 SWU’s.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Like others have posted, I wasn't that interested with moving forward with attempts to get 14k just to have the extra 2 SWUs. But a trip to Hong Kong popped up two weeks ago and voilą!

Applied SWUs and all legs cleared (SFO-LAX-HKG-LAX-SFO). Have this funny feeling that I will be returning to HKG in January so, hoping for the SWU set to expire then can be utilized.

All is all, it costed ~$850 to get the 14k needed. If it were not a work trip, not sure if I would have adventured anywhere though. But the thought was on my mind as the Mrs and I are off to PVG in Janaury 2019 for a cruise. Will have to at least save two of the six that expire in 2019 for that outboard trip. We'll see if EXP is in the cards for 2019.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
I am currently cursing the fact that I bought a coach ticket instead of first on my last Alaska flight, gifting me less miles than I wanted. My future flights were adding up to 146k, with only a 1k economy nonstop needing to be booked. I decided it would be worth the $200 extra to divert west for lunch and fly first with 2 stops, netting me the 4K eqm necessary.

at being so close, it was the principle more than everything else 😜

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.