Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What Happened to Email notifications of upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC

Did not see another thread on this. A friend and I both have noticed that we are not receiving emails notifying us upon being upgraded to J, at least on domestic flights. I like to know ASAP so I can change seats and book a meal. Last two upgrades were silent and happened around T-100 (which was nice!) but I only noticed when I logged in for another reason and looked to see if any Y seats had opened up to move to and noticed I was now in J.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Originally Posted by phxbarcelona
Did not see another thread on this. A friend and I both have noticed that we are not receiving emails notifying us upon being upgraded to J, at least on domestic flights. I like to know ASAP so I can change seats and book a meal. Last two upgrades were silent and happened around T-100 (which was nice!) but I only noticed when I logged in for another reason and looked to see if any Y seats had opened up to move to and noticed I was now in J.
I’ve noticed the same this week.
JacksonOBrian likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
For longer flights where I am super sensitive to where I sit I put alerts on the seats I book in Y in EF so I know when my original seat frees up. Just actually got one today on a flight to LHR next month and was able to go onto aa.com and snag 3J
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by uscjeff
For longer flights where I am super sensitive to where I sit I put alerts on the seats I book in Y in EF so I know when my original seat frees up. Just actually got one today on a flight to LHR next month and was able to go onto aa.com and snag 3J
That is a fantastic idea - Thanks for the tip.

I have noticed as well that the e-mails have stopped.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
...I have noticed as well that the e-mails have stopped.
Me too! Got upgraded LHR-PHL last month with no email notice.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
I noticed the same. I thought I might have deleted the email by mistake, haha. Now I know I need to begin checking so I can move my seat if they put me in a bulkhead seat, which I don't care for.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Starwood Platinum
The last email that i received was on November 9th - although my upgrades generally happen at the gate these days so well just say they stopped between then and now.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
They stopped upgrade emails so they could send out more offers to buy miles, which they found their customers prefer.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Auto-sorted into the spam folder?

Never found those emails useful anyway, don't miss them. Easy enough to check the app when I am inside the upgrade windows. Even when there were emails, I found I often noticed the upgrade in the app well before I saw the email.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
I concur with the majority. I flew 4-5 legs on AA last month (incl. international flights) and I never got the usual e-mails when the upgrade had cleared...
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Last one I got was November 13 (and looks like fairly regular most of the year until then), despite clearing upgrades on November 15, 19, 20, 27, and December 2, 3, 8, and 10.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:53 pm

Their email server is too busy to send upgrade notices...since it has to send out the huge volume of rolling 15 minute delay messages.
CloudCoder likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
I noticed I am not getting them either. My last notice was early November. It's annoying now because I have to keep checking seat assignments. For some reason, I always seem to get bulkhead aisle on upgrades, even when other seats are available.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by uscjeff
I never tried that on INTL - only domestic. With sticker upgrades, you are cleared into the J cabin and (usually) a new seat assigned without re-ticketing, so I knew the Y seat went free right away. I didn't know they released your Y seat right away on INTL. (Or was it already re-ticketed when you went back in?)
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Their email server is too busy to send upgrade notices...since it has to send out the huge volume of rolling 15 minute delay messages.
......and messages after each flight out of LAX apologizing about the catering standards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.