Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Anybody Doing Any Interesting EQD/EQM Runs This Year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody Doing Any Interesting EQD/EQM Runs This Year?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Not really a MR, but couldn't pass up a $475 fare to HKG over Christmas (upgrades have all cleared, including DFW-HKG(!), but then again it's Christmas). A great deal (I'd say almost a steal) at the LMO sealed the deal.

I did book a couple of AAVacation packages earlier this year to get my EQD up (one to PVG for $0.27/EQD another to HAM for ~$0.34/EQD), with two nights in each city. HAM is such a great city (I really want to go back for longer); PVG I've been to many times but always happy to go back.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: ex-multiyear AA EXP/OWE, now SA Gold/AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I did book a couple of AAVacation packages earlier this year to get my EQD up (one to PVG for $0.27/EQD another to HAM for ~$0.34/EQD), with two nights in each city. HAM is such a great city (I really want to go back for longer); PVG I've been to many times but always happy to go back.
I love Hamburg. It's such a great place. I think next year I'll look at doing some AAVacation fares in order to find a different EQD earning.

Originally Posted by 355F1
i did 2 of these back to back weekends last month in PE. I even got OpUpped LHR-LAX. On the way home.
I always end up doing at least one JNB run per year.
I love it!!!
Yeah, I got an op-up on DXB-LHR a couple weeks ago, and they offered me a $400 paid upgrade to J on the final leg, which I took.
Best part about buying AUP with BA is that the ticket gets posted as an I fare and you net the extra little bit of RDM and EQD.
I just found the 11+ hours in a W seat a little too much to handle. Although being able to drink as much Blue Label as I wanted before leaving LHR did help with sleeping.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
No f-ing way. I will not give an airline a single incremental dollar in revenue nor fly a single unnneccessary mile in some chase for "status."

Any dollar spent on mileage runs would be far better spent just buying up to first class tickets (especially first class tickets on airlines better than AA)

I'm well across the EQD threshold for Platinum but short on EQMs. I'm perfectly happy to remain at Gold and smile at the long list of 30+ EXPs on an upgrade list for a 16-seat cabin where I will be sitting thanks to FCM!
+1. I have moved most of the business to other OneWorld partners with far better customer service, elite treatment, and lounge services. AA is done. There is no way I spend extra EQDs on AA just to chase the status.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
I did a BWI-DFW-NRT-CGK-NRT-ORD-BWI run last weekend then followed that up with a BWI-PHX-LAX-DFW-BWI run on Tuesday. End result was supposed to get me to 150k EQM and 12k EQD. I scored on the EQM’s but ended up a dollar short on EQD’s. Currently sitting at 11,999 EQD’s for the year.

I had a long layover in NRT, so decided to go into town. Had an interesting exchange with the customs officer who just could not get over why I only spent a day in CGK. He must have asked me 5 different ways why. Fun times.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Herb687
No f-ing way. I will not give an airline a single incremental dollar in revenue nor fly a single unnneccessary mile in some chase for "status."

Any dollar spent on mileage runs would be far better spent just buying up to first class tickets (especially first class tickets on airlines better than AA)

I'm well across the EQD threshold for Platinum but short on EQMs. I'm perfectly happy to remain at Gold and smile at the long list of 30+ EXPs on an upgrade list for a 16-seat cabin where I will be sitting thanks to FCM!
So me spending $150 to go on a Transcon run to get the extra EQMs so I can hit the 150K EQM mark to get the extra SWUs is not money well spent?

Considering that I blow through SWUs on international long haul flights pretty quickly, I'm saving quite a lot versus buying J fares.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I did a SAN-LAX-HNL mileage run last month to make sure I kept Plat for next year. Was on the ground for 3.5hrs but did manage to squeeze in a few beers with a colleague from work who is based in Oahu
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I map out all of my flying a year in advance, all personal no business. I have no trouble meeting the EQD but I am usually a bit short on EQM for making EXP. So I did my only needed MR this year back in March PHL-LAS-PHL with a connection time of 90 minutes. My outbound was an hour late taking off and I had to run from gate to gate in LAS to make the return. Still all worth it for the SWUs!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I found a MR for a fantastic deal, but am now dreading it due to the redeye return. ~$160 AI for PHL-CLT-LAX-SLC-PHL

Just over 3CPM and will just barely get me over the line for EQM to EXP
apeortdz likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:56 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by arlflyer
If your company policy doesn't forbid it, you could always upfare out of pocket. The difference is often quite reasonable.
I am not sure how they could forbid it? If one purchases in coach and expenses coach fare, an upfare is allowable.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I am not sure how they could forbid it? If one purchases in coach and expenses coach fare, an upfare is allowable.
In some companies, not all.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Last year I needed a few thousand miles to keep Platinum, and my wife needed to do her Global Entry interview. I found out that the Anchorage CBP had tons of availability, when every other CBP office had a several month backlog. So we flew to Anchorage for a few days and used miles to upgrade to F. My wife did her GE interview in Anchorage, we did a 2hr glacier tour in a Cessna 182, and drove around to observe and photograph the wildlife. On the overnight flight home from Anchorage , we got to see the northern lights for over an hour, which looked really cool from the sky.

This year I needed 7k miles to hit EXP, so I flew a one day trip RIC-CLT-DEN-CLT-RIC in F last Saturday.
I've got an Amex platinum card which gets me a Priority Pass membership, so when I landed in Denver, I visited Timberline Steaks & Grille and had dinner and a few drinks for free using the $28 credit. Then I hit the Admirals Club, had a few cookies, and flew home.

Last year was definately more fun.
apeortdz and andersonCooper like this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Originally Posted by rjw242
LINDEGR, I generally agree with you. The only caveats I was making are that 1) with some funky booking/expense systems the fare change might feed back through and do screwy things, 2) if the company books flexible Y under policy and you upfare to to discount biz, you lose that flexibility and if things change you're on the hook for it and, 3) company travel depts are generally sadistic and like to make up rules simply to make life more difficult.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:58 pm

LAX-HND next weekend for some sushi.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
Do these mythical companies forbid sticker upgrades too? What about op-ups?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
LINDEGR, I generally agree with you. The only caveats I was making are that 1) with some funky booking/expense systems the fare change might feed back through and do screwy things, 2) if the company books flexible Y under policy and you upfare to to discount biz, you lose that flexibility and if things change you're on the hook for it and, 3) company travel depts are generally sadistic and like to make up rules simply to make life more difficult.
I think #2 is fair to both parties.
#3 - Sounds like where I work!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.