FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Pre-lunch cocktail gone in intercontinental economy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1881750-pre-lunch-cocktail-gone-intercontinental-economy.html)

Passmethesickbag Dec 8, 2017 10:34 am

Pre-lunch cocktail gone in intercontinental economy

I noted this last month on a day flight JFK-LHR and attributed it to a route peculiarity, but the same happened on today's LHR-JFK — drinks cart and hot meals were rolled up the alley at the same time.

It sounds very much like Parker's American, but it really annoys me. Passengers have 8 hours plus to kill in an economy seat on these flights — the FAs are being paid anyway — not offering passengers a pre-lunch cocktail and a tiny bag of pretzels seems pointlessly mean to me.

AANYC1981 Dec 8, 2017 10:41 am

Experienced this as well JFK-LHR......apparently this is the norm now for this route

JDiver Dec 8, 2017 10:42 am

Is this a policy or Universal (and unadvertised) Change, or are these just further instances of inconsistency and skipping PDB Service for various genuine and spurious reasons, as it is in Business and sometimes Intercontinental First.

Passmethesickbag Dec 8, 2017 10:43 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 29150101)
Is the pre-departure beverage gone (was it ever universal?} or are these just further instances of skipping PDB Service for various genuine and spurious reasons, as it is in Business and sometimes Intercontinental First.

No, I saw plastic glasses of Prosecco being distributed in front before departure.

JDiver Dec 8, 2017 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag (Post 29150108)
No, I saw plastic glasses of Prosecco being distributed in front before departure.

So maybe stealthy reduction of passenger benefits. Going for great, undoubtedly. :p

AANYC1981 Dec 8, 2017 11:18 am

An AA FA posted that this is the norm for JFK-LHR to expedite the service.

to make matters worse on my flight....”turbulence” prevented service from starting for over an hour after take off. Guess what....there was no turbulence.

enviroian Dec 8, 2017 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag (Post 29150108)

Took 100 a few weeks ago and I did get the above noted PDB but similar to what the OP states the dinner service was rushed and all on one tray.

Parker....

aztimm Dec 8, 2017 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 29150299)
to make matters worse on my flight....”turbulence” prevented service from starting for over an hour after take off. Guess what....there was no turbulence.

I flew BA AUS-LHR the other day and it is amazing the difference in use of seatbelt sign. It seemed we had barely taken off and were still ascending when the seatbelt sign went off. There were several points when things got rough and I was certain it would come back on, but it was only on briefly, then back off again. The, "turbulence," phenomenon isn't unique to AA, but seems all U.S.-based carriers do this.

Not only that, but before takeoff the FA's went around the cabin with a tray that had (real) glasses of water, oj, and sparkling wine...even in PE.

AANYC1981 Dec 8, 2017 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 29150524)
I flew BA AUS-LHR the other day and it is amazing the difference in use of seatbelt sign. It seemed we had barely taken off and were still ascending when the seatbelt sign went off. There were several points when things got rough and I was certain it would come back on, but it was only on briefly, then back off again. The, "turbulence," phenomenon isn't unique to AA, but seems all U.S.-based carriers do this.

Not only that, but before takeoff the FA's went around the cabin with a tray that had (real) glasses of water, oj, and sparkling wine...even in PE.

LUS used to serve Int’l PDB in glassware too....this merger is the combination of the worst of both airlines.

aztimm Dec 8, 2017 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 29150563)
LUS used to serve Int’l PDB in glassware too....this merger is the combination of the worst of both airlines.

I don't think I've ever gotten a PDB on US in real glassware, unless you are thinking of pre-HP US ;)
I remember sitting in Envoy on a MUC-PHL flight once and a German guy near me commented on the PDB in a plastic cup, how LH would never have done that.

Often1 Dec 8, 2017 12:52 pm

They ought to terminate ATC and the two qualified Command Captains for the incorrect prediction which, if correct, would have created a real mess in the middle of service or endangered passengers.

Passmethesickbag Dec 8, 2017 5:26 pm

On evening flights, that would make sense, and many would even appreciate it. But to rush to serve lunch at 11 AM on the day flight — not so much.

Another change which seems to be permanent is that the removal of cheese from the filling of the hot pocket served as a second meal — not doubt "in response to feedback from our vegan customers".

Passmethesickbag Dec 8, 2017 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29150684)
They ought to terminate ATC and the two qualified Command Captains for the incorrect prediction which, if correct, would have created a real mess in the middle of service or endangered passengers.

That may be a bit drastic, but I would certainly prefer airlines who do not employ captains who are so terrified of getting sued over a freak accident that they force passengers to make the choice between a burst bladder, a soiled seat, or making their own uninformed judgment of which of the eight hours when the seat belt sign is on might be safer.

Head Dec 8, 2017 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 29150524)

The seatbelt thing appears to be unique to US carriers for sure.

I fly CX on the short HKG/TPE route (and back) often. They manage to serve a full meal on the 75 minute flight and the seat belt sign goes off within 5 minutes of takeoff.

I also fly several short domestic routes (75 minutes or so) and often times the seat belt sign never goes off.

brewdog11 Dec 8, 2017 7:51 pm

I don't get this.

It's a six-hour (plus) flight. It's not like anyone has anywhere to go. Why not provide a decent service to paying passengers?