Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Pre-lunch cocktail gone in intercontinental economy

Pre-lunch cocktail gone in intercontinental economy

Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
I had the ‘turbulence’ excuse today CLT-ORD. Bit of chop (not bad) on the initial level out and then an altitude change smoothed it out for the most part. Last hour and 15 minutes completely smooth — wouldn’t let the stews out their seats...ugh

and yet .... one stew can manage water/coffee/juice on a less than 30 min hop ORD down to CMI...but she was envoy, not mainline of course
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
An AA FA posted that this is the norm for JFK-LHR to expedite the service.

to make matters worse on my flight....”turbulence” prevented service from starting for over an hour after take off. Guess what....there was no turbulence.
So it's just for late evening, short TATL flights? Or all TATL flights? It should be one round of drinks, full meal service with another round of drinks, then pickup with coffee/tea. How cheap if FAs are cutting one service on all of these long flights short of the short, late-night ones.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
That may be a bit drastic, but I would certainly prefer airlines who do not employ captains who are so terrified of getting sued over a freak accident that they force passengers to make the choice between a burst bladder, a soiled seat, or making their own uninformed judgment of which of the eight hours when the seat belt sign is on might be safer.
While I've come close...has anyone actually bust a bladder and soiled their seat????? Just wondering.....

Last edited by MarJon; Dec 9, 2017 at 5:24 am Reason: spllng
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I noted this last month on a day flight JFK-LHR and attributed it to a route peculiarity, but the same happened on today's LHR-JFK — drinks cart and hot meals were rolled up the alley at the same time.
On my daytime JFK-LHR this week (in Y), there was indeed a pre-lunch drink service, and then more drinks with the meal, as usual. I hope this isn't going away!

I would certainly prefer airlines who do not employ captains who are so terrified of getting sued over a freak accident that they force passengers to make the choice between a burst bladder, a soiled seat, or making their own uninformed judgment of which of the eight hours when the seat belt sign is on might be safer.
Agreed (though I wouldn't be surprised if it's corporate policy). Passengers on AA are often forced to ignore the "fasten seat belt signs" because the signs are kept illuminated at all times, regardless of the actual weather conditions or any risk (or lack of risk) of dangerous turbulence. It makes it difficult for passengers to know when is a more or less dangerous time to get up, which defeats the purpose of the signs. Really appreciate how BA and CX, for example, usually illuminate the signs only when necessary.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
On my daytime JFK-LHR this week (in Y), there was indeed a pre-lunch drink service, and then more drinks with the meal, as usual. I hope this isn't going away!
This is good news, as your data point is after my journey on this flight. Maybe it's up to the crew's discretion, like the vanishing PDB in the domestic front cabin?
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by aztimm
I don't think I've ever gotten a PDB on US in real glassware, unless you are thinking of pre-HP US
I remember sitting in Envoy on a MUC-PHL flight once and a German guy near me commented on the PDB in a plastic cup, how LH would never have done that.
Envoy switched to glassware on the ground in 2011 or 2012. You can dig up the threads in the LUS forum and read about when it changed. I flew several flights with PDBs in glassware (DUB, MUC, CDG, MAN all come to mind).
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Envoy switched to glassware on the ground in 2011 or 2012. You can dig up the threads in the LUS forum and read about when it changed. I flew several flights with PDBs in glassware (DUB, MUC, CDG, MAN all come to mind).
BA still does it. AND pours real champagne on the ground rather than some nasty prosecco.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I believe the FA that posted said skipping the pre-meal beverage service is just for JFK-LHR (and I would guess other short TATL flights) and not the other way around, in order to let people get to sleep faster.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
GONE today on my on-time, on-schedule, 7.5 hour LHR-JFK (in Y). Cocktail service and lunch started together about 45 minutes after departure

I asked one of the cabin crew if they didn't do the pre-lunch drinks anymore and she didn't reply but pointed at the drinks cart right next to the meal cart.

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I believe the FA that posted said skipping the pre-meal beverage service is just for JFK-LHR (and I would guess other short TATL flights) and not the other way around, in order to let people get to sleep faster.
Sure, would make sense on overnights, but not on daytime eastbound TATLs nor on any of the westbounds.

Something appears to be afoot…
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
GONE today on my on-time, on-schedule, 7.5 hour LHR-JFK (in Y). Cocktail service and lunch started together about 45 minutes after departure

I asked one of the cabin crew if they didn't do the pre-lunch drinks anymore and she didn't reply but pointed at the drinks cart right next to the meal cart.

Sure, would make sense on overnights, but not on daytime eastbound TATLs nor on any of the westbounds.

Something appears to be afoot…
yea your experience doesn’t seem right....sounds like a lazy a^* crew.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.