Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger Phone Call - MIA to LGA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Hertz PC , Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Passenger Phone Call - MIA to LGA

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

I was in first class flying from MIA to LGA (AA Flight 1367 on 12/05) and seated in 3E. Somewhere over North Carolina, and just after meal service, the man in 4F begins to talk loud behind me. At first I just think he's talking to his seatmate loudly. However, after glancing back, I notice he's on his phone having a conversation. He was coming in loud and clear though my Bose QuietComfort 35 headphones while I was listening to music, so that gives you an idea how loud he was. The FA noticed not too long after that and told him to stop. He acted like he couldn't speak English and continued to keep talking for another 20 minutes. Besides being against FCC rules (since 1991), this was super annoying.

I was very surprised that the FA asked him once, told him it was a safety issue, but then never came back to say anything to him. I expected her to escalate that a little more than politely asking him to stop once.

I dropped a line to AA and was also surprised at their response too. "The flight attendant's authority is limited to ensuring compliance with safety directives. We rely on each adult passenger to conduct themselves in a socially respectable manner and to adhere to the no cell phone use while in flight policy and regulations." I get that, but I see people confronted all the time coming into the first class cabin to use the lavatory, and for much less annoying activities.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen on a flight in the US.

[<redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 8, 2017 at 12:07 pm Reason: redacted image for privacy purposes
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Is it against FCC rules if it is a VOIP call using in flight wifi - or does the FCC rule apply to cellular based calls only?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For current purposes, no US carrier permits voice calls under its safety and security policy. Those are filed with the FAA and it is a violation of FAA rules both for the carrier to fail to enforce its policy and for the passenger to disobey a crewmember instruction regarding the policy. The entire FCC vs. DOT debate is a longer term issue, irrelevant for the moment.

First, if it was annoying, the time to raise it is immediately with the FA. Don't wait for the FA to notice it.
Second, when it continued, raise it again. There are easy ways to communicate to those who do not speak the local language, e.g. English, that it's time to put the phone away and crew receive a good deal of training on how to do this in a non-threatening manner.
Third, if it continues, ask the FA whether this is something which you ought to report to both AA and DOT (FAA). That will at least get a consultation between the FA and Captain.
tampatravel likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Often1
For current purposes, no US carrier permits voice calls under its safety and security policy. Those are filed with the FAA and it is a violation of FAA rules both for the carrier to fail to enforce its policy and for the passenger to disobey a crewmember instruction regarding the policy. The entire FCC vs. DOT debate is a longer term issue, irrelevant for the moment.

First, if it was annoying, the time to raise it is immediately with the FA. Don't wait for the FA to notice it.
Second, when it continued, raise it again. There are easy ways to communicate to those who do not speak the local language, e.g. English, that it's time to put the phone away and crew receive a good deal of training on how to do this in a non-threatening manner.
Third, if it continues, ask the FA whether this is something which you ought to report to both AA and DOT (FAA). That will at least get a consultation between the FA and Captain.
Who does this self entitled tool think he is on the phone? Doesn't speak English my arse. I would have said something to said tool after asking the flight attendant to alert the captain.

I would have been livid.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:19 am

Obviously a very important individual. I do enjoy hearing these types loudly discuss confidential business matters and deals.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Originally Posted by JetAway
Obviously a very important individual. I do enjoy hearing these types loudly discuss confidential business matters and deals.
Then you, my friend, are missing out if you don't have an AC membership!
george 3 and DCP2016 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:14 pm

We are being trained to elevate, not escalate
ijgordon likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Time to pick up your phone and phone bomb him, just have a conversation as if you are talking to him, answer his question etc. He will get the point.
CloudCoder likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Head
Then you, my friend, are missing out if you don't have an AC membership!
LOL. Well done.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Engaging other passengers directly drops you to their level. Let the crew deal with it.

But, OP did not even complain.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by JetAway
The louder the call, the less likely there is any real importance to the conversation.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should have just sat facing backward on your knees, rested your head on your arms on the top of the seatback and stared longingly into his eyes. I guess since he wasn't directly behind you, you'd have to angle your head a little, but surely the passenger in 4E wouldn't have minded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.