Taking bicycle to europe?

Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Question Taking bicycle to europe?

Flying Business Class from US to Europe. Will AA accept a bicycle carton as part of baggage allowance, fee free?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...and-sports.jsp

Bikes

Allowance and requirements

You can travel with 1 non-motorized touring or racing bike if the:
  • Bike is in a hard-sided case, bike bag or box built for bike transport
  • Handlebars are fixed sideways
  • Pedals are removed; or
  • Pedals and handlebars are wrapped in plastic foam or a similar material
Please note that if your bike is not in a hard-sided case, it will be treated as a fragile item.

Cost

You’ll be charged $150 unless your bike and case are less than 62 inches and under 50 lbs. If so, they’ll be considered as your 1st checked bag.

If you are traveling to, through or from Brazil, your bike will be considered a bag. Once your free bag allowance is exceeded you’ll be charged $85 for each additional bike.

Maximum weight and size

70 lbs. and 126 inches based on the airplane size and load factors
nutwpinut likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:22 am

Well, there is a page on specialty and sports baggage (Update: JDiver quotes it above), but it leaves something to be desired - in the section header it references only domestic travel, but in the subsection on bikes it talks about...Brazil, and only Brazil, no other international destinations. So, yeah...
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: AA
Maybe, if it meets certain dimensional and weight requirements, otherwise, $150 with certain restrictions. http://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/b...and-sports.jsp
Youll be charged $150 unless your bike and case are less than 62 inches and under 50 lbs. If so, theyll be considered as your 1st checked bag. You can travel with 1 non-motorized touring or racing bike if the:
  • Bike is in a hard-sided case, bike bag or box built for bike transport
  • Handlebars are fixed sideways
  • Pedals are removed; or
  • Pedals and handlebars are wrapped in plastic foam or a similar material
Please note that if your bike is not in a hard-sided case, it will be treated as a fragile item.

Maximum weight and size

70 lbs. and 126 inches based on the airplane size and load factors
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA SILVER
BA does not charge extra to substitute the bike for one of the two bags in your standard business allowance. AA unfortunately, as others have pointed out, does.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by pete3
AA unfortunately, as others have pointed out, does.
The language quoted above was on a page under a header explicitly mentioning domestic flights, with the confounding mention of Brazil thrown into the sub-section on bikes. I do not see this as conclusive. Personally, I think that this situation would be best remedied by a call from OP to AA (and ideally an answer or reference to the answer in writing), unless someone else has something more definitive.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Just break it down and box it... how is that going to be different than any other piece of luggage?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by kb9522
Just break it down and box it... how is that going to be different than any other piece of luggage?
Even dismantled it's hard to imaging a bike, wheels, handlebars etc., fitting in something that ends up under 62 linear inches.
Good way to wreck it as well vs. a proper bike case. So it's $150, pay the $150. A J trip to Europe so this is pretty immaterial cost-wise.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Even dismantled it's hard to imaging a bike, wheels, handlebars etc., fitting in something that ends up under 62 linear inches.
Good way to wreck it as well vs. a proper bike case. So it's $150, pay the $150. A J trip to Europe so this is pretty immaterial cost-wise.
Correct. I even had trouble putting them inside a sedan (with front wheel taken off). For high end bikes (BMC, S-works etc) it's definitely worth it.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
Flying Business Class from US to Europe. Will AA accept a bicycle carton as part of baggage allowance, fee free?
I took a foldable bike from HKG to the US a couple of months ago. Since it is highly foldable, I can keep the box/suitcase under 62inches 50lbs(The bike is only 20lbs).

Bear in mind that you have to look very closely at the eBike option because I believe some airlines do not allow lithium battery-powered escooters/ebikes/skateboards to be brought to check.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Might be too late but Ive taken my bicycle to Europe a few times on BA. They offer to check in oversized baggage as part of your normal baggage allowance.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
I took a foldable bike from HKG to the US a couple of months ago. Since it is highly foldable, I can keep the box/suitcase under 62inches 50lbs(The bike is only 20lbs).
It would be better to buy or rent a bike than ride a folding bike with the little shopping cart wheels on one of those.
I think the bottom line is he is not flying BA, he has a non-folding bike and it's a measly $150 to not have his bike destroyed, even with the moot point it won't fit some alternative box even if dismantled if the bike is an adult, non-folding bike.
He could fly on a private jet and not box it at all but that's more than other options also.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
BA is always free. I currently have a two piece bike that I fly with all the time--it's legal. I've had ok luck not getting charged on AA with my normal bike (pikapackworks.com) but it gets pretty small. If you are going to show up with a cardboard box, or a large hardsided case, you are going to get charged every time.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
It would be better to buy or rent a bike than ride a folding bike with the little shopping cart wheels on one of those.
I think the bottom line is he is not flying BA, he has a non-folding bike and it's a measly $150 to not have his bike destroyed, even with the moot point it won't fit some alternative box even if dismantled if the bike is an adult, non-folding bike.
He could fly on a private jet and not box it at all but that's more than other options also.
Well, it kind of depends, my 20" folding bike can go 18-20mph on average and it is one of the best/fastest folding bikes in the world.
However, to the OP, that's the tradeoff you have to take. You can get a bike at your final destination but you would have to deal with the hassle with it, just like carrying a pet, piano, violin, or anything that requires special handling. I try to make sure it does not go over 62inches on any boxes.

YMMV, safe travels.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I fly a ton with my bike so have a fair bit of experience. With AA they will almost always charge the $150 fee, they rarely miss the opportunity even when you have a smaller soft pack type bag that looks more like normal luggage. The reality is that even a fully disassembled adult bike is impossible to fit within the linear dimensions of the standard luggage size so you are technically over the size limit and that is why they will collect the $150. I've been charged $150 by AA whether domestic or international.
Side note: Like BA, Alaska Airlines is also free for a bike (counts as 1 piece of luggage), it's a good thing to keep in the back of your head as you travel. I bring my mountain bike on most vacations as $300 per trip would add up pretty fast. I tend to use AS for any trip where I would bring the bike for that benefit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.