Is Platinum the New Gold?

Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
As EXP, I am pumped that I was able to secure upgrades tomorrow on DFW-LAX using SWU's. FINALLY AN UPGRADE!!!!!
atxtraveler likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
I just checked and Golds still don't get free MCE, so no.
I just recently realized that neither DL nor UA give 25k level elites any discount on advance purchase of extra legroom seats. All 3 give it free at OLCI (though on DL domestic it's technically a capacity-controlled upgrade), but if you want it on advance on the others it's full price. The 50% discount for AA Gold is certainly an attractive element of AAdvantage.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:04 am

is platinum the new gold.

yes platinum is the new gold. The other killer for domestic upgrades was the reduction in frequency, increased Y seating capacity on most routes, further reducing the number of available premium seats available for upgrades.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, HH G, IHG P, Hyatt P
I am very curious to see what happens in February when all the people that couldn’t requalify with the spend requirement in place drop down in status.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:46 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by gilbergm55
is it just me but are other platinum members having issue getting any upgrades? The last six months it has been impossible. Flying to hub and non hub cities.

It it feels like it was years ago with Gold status. Upgrades alomost impossible
Six months ago, there were very few Plat Pros. That level was created at the first of 2017 and it takes a lot of travel to get there. Fast forward to today: Far more PPRO now than six months ago, thus far more people ahead of PLAT on the upgrade list.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
I like and totally agree that MCE is the new FIRST
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by ENycSea
I am very curious to see what happens in February when all the people that couldn’t requalify with the spend requirement in place drop down in status.
They will be promptly replaced by all of the people receiving EXP status from a generous CK.
atxtraveler likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My stats for 2017:

American: 65.96% (31/47)
500 Mile Upgrade: 64.10% (25/39)
Systemwide: 75.00% (6/8)

That's not terrible and about what I'd expect for mid-tier status. My misses are mainly shorter trunk routes especially my nemesis RDU-CLT.

So far this year I'm 3/6 which is a little worse but it's still early.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I dont remember when exactly I got upgrades last yr but since I first got platinum in 2016, I got upgraded on LAX-JFK on a redeye flight to first (didn't request on the return), LAX-DEN (but not hte return), LAX-ORD (but not the return), almost every single flight I took to Vegas, LAX-PHL-LAX, and on an LAX-HKG using miles/copay. This year, I'm 1 for 1, from AUS-LAX. There might have been others, but for the most part, it's been pretty good for me. I have LAX-DFW requested for this Friday (want to try the 787-9 business) but won't be too sad if I don't get it - got a premium econ seat. I also have a DCA-LAX requested on some random saturday in March, LAX-BOS in late April. Fingers crossed!!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
PLT may be the new GLD as far as domestic upgrades are concerned, but OW Sapphire still has significant value IMHO.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I think EXP is the new PLAT. My upgrade rate has dropped significantly with the new order, as well as CK being a higher level. I was on a flight from DFW to DCA last week, and I was # 15 on the upgrade list. I overhead a passenger across the aisle from me saying he was EXP and # 16 on the list.

I would say the flight had 20 EXPs and a few CKs. CK is really what EXP used to be.

I don't see how those PLAT posting here are getting 50 % upgrades. My rate as EXP is less than that and I am not a rock bottom EXP either.

Yesterday I sat next to a PLAT on a CLT to LAX flight. He was traveling on business to Asia on a $10K J ticket. He said everyone in their company gets PLAT status at a minimum, and they get a certain allocation for free levels at CK, EXP, etc.

I really don't see a big roll off of people from EXP base on spend. I see more. With 2x EQM for J travel, and cheap domestic J fares, more people are going to earn EXP by flying 50K miles. Take into account credit card EQM and EQD - then even more.

And down at the PLAT level that is the give away level now, where GOLD used to be the give away level. I agree PLAT is the new GOLD. Agree Sapphire is a great benefit - giving Flagship Lounge Access for international travel regardless of travel class.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
My comparison is EXP from 2011 to 2013, and then back to EXP last year. Still a hub flyer out of DFW. Upgrades are significantly reduced from my prior EXP years, probably from 95+% to 60%. I mostly credit / blame Doug's lower prices for seats in F, as on many routes F is half gone (or more) around 1 to 2 weeks out when I book. On some of those routes F is also only a small premium over Y when booking close in, e.g. 500 Y vs 625 F, so it's a no-brainer to just buy it if you have that flexibility (many (most?) corporate flyers don't).

Much easier to get upgrades on shorter hops on CRJs with F, but only batting maybe 500 on mainline routes.

I get they have super actuaries that do revenue management, but it does seem rather short-sighted when upgrades are a main reason to pursue status (especially EXP) and it gets to the point where probably PlatPros can barely get upgrades on mainline aircraft. I'd like to see the data on what the price difference in F was vs Y when the seat is purchased, i.e. if a lot of them are like my 500/625 example above than IMO the retention of high-rev flyers is being put at risk for little additional revenue.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cova
I think EXP is the new PLAT. My upgrade rate has dropped significantly with the new order, as well as CK being a higher level.
But people who book expensive, last-minute tickets are likely doing far better under the new order. So for them, PLT is the new EXP.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Depends on routing and time of year. I'm 3 for 3 on my upgrades in 2018 (DCA-CLT, CLT-BOS and BOS-DCA) and 8/8 in the past 60 days (DCA-MIA, MIA-DCA, PVD-CLT (comped), CLT-DTW, and DTW-DCA). Last year I was at about 60% last year including a very welcome DCA-LAX upgrade at the last minute this past August.

On a number of routes, the delta between first and coach was so small as to basically justify paying for first. For example, DCA-ORD can be quite inexpensive in F if you book a ways out.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by cova
I think EXP is the new PLAT. My upgrade rate has dropped significantly with the new order, as well as CK being a higher level. I was on a flight from DFW to DCA last week, and I was # 15 on the upgrade list. I overhead a passenger across the aisle from me saying he was EXP and # 16 on the list.

I would say the flight had 20 EXPs and a few CKs. CK is really what EXP used to be.

I don't see how those PLAT posting here are getting 50 % upgrades. My rate as EXP is less than that and I am not a rock bottom EXP either.

Yesterday I sat next to a PLAT on a CLT to LAX flight. He was traveling on business to Asia on a $10K J ticket. He said everyone in their company gets PLAT status at a minimum, and they get a certain allocation for free levels at CK, EXP, etc.

I really don't see a big roll off of people from EXP base on spend. I see more. With 2x EQM for J travel, and cheap domestic J fares, more people are going to earn EXP by flying 50K miles. Take into account credit card EQM and EQD - then even more.

And down at the PLAT level that is the give away level now, where GOLD used to be the give away level. I agree PLAT is the new GOLD. Agree Sapphire is a great benefit - giving Flagship Lounge Access for international travel regardless of travel class.
That DCA run has got to be tough. I bet most of those F seats are being outright purchased. Was it a 738 with 16 seats?

What was your EQD last year?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.